British Speedway Forum
sandman

mechanic races

Anyone have fond memories of mechanic races? Will stop writing now, just on a bit of a roll folks, apologies. Sandman :lol:

Don't stop Sandman-welcome aboard!

I haven't seen any mechanics races although I seem to remember a mechanic going out in a second half card one time but I'm not sure.

Did they used to happen often? Who did they blame if the bike packed up half way round? :clown

These races used to be very common in the last match of the season at various tracks - I've seen them at Canterbury, Hackney and Eastbourne.

I take it there was a very good reason it was done after the last match of the season!!

I take it there was a very good reason it was done after the last match of the season!!

They had five months to repair any damage done - not that they went fast enough to do any damage! :)

We have had a few at Lynn over the years, Big Mark in 2000 and 2001 was a sight to behold, anyone who saw him will know what I mean ..... lol

Of course it was good to see Rikard Hellsen having a go too, brought back memories.

A "few" years ago the USA were so short of riders during a tour that one of their mechanics turned out for their national side in a test over here.

These races used to be very common in the last match of the season at various tracks - I've seen them at Canterbury, Hackney and Eastbourne.

My dad has photos of Him and Uncle Paddy (Paddy Paterson, Track prep man) racing in a mechanics race.... he never tried to tell Uncle Ted to ride ever again after that :roll: Definately harder than it looks.. respect to anyone who has a go ;)

A "few" years ago the USA were so short of riders during a tour that one of their mechanics turned out for their national side in a test over here.

Really? It's a mad mad mad mad World.

I believe that riders and mechanics form a bond of sorts, as they travel together and work for a common goal. They arent paid all that well and do it because they love the sport. Now I have known a few mechanics, and over time they get to telling the rider what he is doing wrong, hence the birth of that blood sport the Mechanics Race. Usually by the start of the following season the mechanics would temper their previous comments considerably. Sure, a bent bike is expensive to fix but it is I am quite sure,a very effective tool to restore Team morale. Also, for those of you who havent had the pleasure of viewing this, I can tell you it is bloody great fun to watch. Too bad insurance got so high. I had my telephone cut off yesterday and it still feels like it is there. ;-)

False dawn wrote:

don't know why, but i seem to remember something about that... i've a feeling he even went on to ride at Mildenhall.

suppose someone will correct me on this

False dawn wrote:

don't know why, but i seem to remember something about that... i've a feeling he even went on to ride at Mildenhall.

suppose someone will correct me on this

I could be way off the bull here, but didn't it turn out to be John Cook?

Actually it was Mike Rooney, a Speedway rider from Northern Calif. Not a bad rider and a really great guy.

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Hey sandman, can you read your private messages please.

You have the "disable BBcode" and "disable smilies" function turned on and I am folowing you about correcting it so your smilies show up !!!

Thanks

Actually it was Mike Rooney, a Speedway rider from Northern Calif. Not a bad rider and a really great guy.

I was way off the bull. :lol: