British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Who Has Ridden At Most Uk Tracks?

steve roberts, on 07 Aug 2016 - 10:02 PM, said:

Great list but did Bob Coles ride at Great Yarmouth as quoted?

I was directed to view this post and the one in the Backtrack area regarding this. It's a mistake on my part, probably happened in the formatting of the file. Delete Yarmouth and add London White City for Coles.

• Like 3

I was directed to view this post and the one in the Backtrack area regarding this. It's a mistake on my part, probably happened in the formatting of the file. Delete Yarmouth and add London White City for Coles.

That's grand! Thanks for that as it did leave me pondering that perhaps Yarmouth rode a few open meetings which I wasn't aware of after they had formally closed.

Reading my Backtrack (again) , should Ipswich be on the list twice as same stadium but two tracks, the old larger one or the one John Berry put inside the old? The title is tracks not stadium.

We regard Ipswich as one track.

Same applies to Wimbledon, where, I think, the track length and shape altered at least three times in Dons' history.

I have also now noticed that the Speedway Researcher site shows that Ken McKinlay rode at Bothwell on Saturday 26th November 1949, scoring 8 points for Bothwell Bull against Will Lowther Select. Tommy Miller also rode in the meeting. This meeting was advertised in the Bellshill Speaker And Mid-Lanarkshire Gazette newspaper on Friday 25th November 1949 as follows:

'BOTHWELL PARK MOTORCYCLE CLUB presents to

SPEEDWAY FANS

On Saturday, Nov. 26, 1949 - at 2.15 p.m.

BOTHWELL BULLS v WILL LOWTHER SELECT

(Capt. Ken McKinlay) (including Alec Grant etc)

Under S.A.C.U. G.C. Rules

AT BOTHWELL PARK TRACK - BOTHWELL.

Come and See Will Lowther's Select. Come and Hear Our

Announcer, Wee Joe Crowther. Come and Cheer

Scotland's Newest Team - The Bothwell Bulls.

Make Sure of Your Ticket Now.

Admission - Adults, 1/6; Juveniles, 9d.

S.A.C.U. Restricted G.T. 178/49/A

Reserved Tickets from N. Mcreadie c/o Barr,

Fishmonger, Main Street, Bellshill'

Presumably the promoter was 'angling' for a good crowd.

The Bellshill Speaker And Mid-Lanarkshire Gazette newspaper carried further advertisements on 10th and 17th March 1950 for the Bothwell Bull Pairs meeting to be held at Bothwell Park track on Saturday18th March 1950 at 3.00 p.m., featuring 'Ken McKinlay, Gundy Harris, Willie Gordon, Tommy Miller and all tomorrow's stars'. The newspaper also carried a report the following week on the Best Pairs meeting, in which it was recorded that Ken McKinlay was a victim of bike failure and he had to retire early on in the racing. The meeting was won by Tommy Miller and Duncan Hendry.

More good work, thanks.

We will include Bothwell for Ken in an update that will appear in our next issue of Backtrack, and also in the feature that will appear in the next issue of Classic Speedway mag that will have more of an earlier post-war slant.

Out of interest currently looking at 7 riders. Up to, and including, 1946 I've got Phil Bishop on 29 venues, Wal Morton on 26, Jack Parker 25 and Geoff Pymar on 19. The other 3 - Jimmy Squibb, Les McGillivray and Colin Gooddy have yet to come to the tapes.

Pre war info is patchy so I suspect that Parker at least would have ridden at a lot more venues than just the 25, mainly league ones, that I've come up with.

Will let you know if any of these beats Hunter's total.

29,26,25,19 over a career? Adam Roynon rode on 24 in 2012. He was riding for Dudley (NL), Workington (PL) and Coventry (EL). Surely hard to beat that in a single season?

SCB, on 10 Aug 2016 - 5:06 PM, said:

29,26,25,19 over a career? Adam Roynon rode on 24 in 2012. He was riding for Dudley (NL), Workington (PL) and Coventry (EL). Surely hard to beat that in a single season?

Two quick checks throw up Steve Lawson from 1980 who rode on 25 tracks (19 NL (ever present) & 6 BL) and would have scored one more had he not broken down en route to the NLRC at Wimbledon. He is surpassed by Kelvin Mullarkey in 1978 who got round 28 tracks (19 NL (ever present) & 9 BL).

Two quick checks throw up Steve Lawson from 1980 who rode on 25 tracks (19 NL (ever present) & 6 BL) and would have scored one more had he not broken down en route to the NLRC at Wimbledon. He is surpassed by Kelvin Mullarkey in 1978 who got round 28 tracks (19 NL (ever present) & 9 BL).

Phil Collins managed at least 34 tracks in 1978, turning out for Ellesmere Port in the National League and Cradley Heath in the British League, as well as making numerous guest appearances.

I have a record of him appearing at Barrow, Belle Vue, Berwick, Birmingham, Boston, Bristol, Canterbury, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Eastbourne, Edinburgh, Ellesmere Port, Glasgow, Halifax, Hull, Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Middlesbrough/Teesside, Mildenhall, Milton Keynes, Newcastle, Oxford, Peterborough, Poole, Reading, Rye House, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Stoke, Swindon, White City, Workington. I have not checked all of the second half results at other tracks, so my record may be incomplete.

• Like 1

How about Norman Strachan? Provincial, British Leagues Division One & Two?

Guest compost

SCB

The post of mine that you quote was an interim update that covered just the period 1928 to 1946.

I think post 41 in this thread gives the final result (though subsequently amended for Jimmy Squibb as a result of several later posts).

Regards

How about Norman Strachan? Provincial, British Leagues Division One & Two?

I know that Norman rode at 50 British tracks at least in his career - Aldershot, Belle Vue, Berwick, Birmingham, Birmingham Perry Barr Greyhound Stadium, Bradford Greenfields, Bradford Odsal, Bristol, Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Eastbourne, Edinburgh, Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow Hampden, Glasgow White City, Hackney, Halifax, Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Neath, Newcastle, New Cross, Newport, Norwich, Oxford, Peterborough, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading, Rye House, Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Southampton, St Austell, Stoke, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington, Yarmouth.

• Like 1

So...

Surprised to see a couple of names omitted from the list; the Templetons! What I have so far - and I'm missing some info - is this :

Doug Templeton - 61
Barrow Holker St, Belfast Dunmore, Belle Vue Hyde Rd, Berwick Shielfield Park, Birmingham Perry Barr, Boston, Bradford Greenfield, Bradford Odsal, Bristol Knowle, Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cowdenbeath, Cradley Heath, Crewe, Eastbourne, Edinburgh Old Meadowbank, Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow Ashfield, Glasgow Hampden Park, Glasgow White City, Hackney, Halifax, Hamilton Palace Rec Grounds (that's a new one to me!), Hull Boulevard, Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Motherwell, Neath, New Cross, Newcastle, Newport Somerton Park, Newtongrange, Norwich, Oxford, Paisley, Peterborough, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading Tilehurst, Scunthorpe Quibell Park, Sheffield, Southampton, St. Austell, Stoke Loomer Rd, Stoke Sun Street, Sunderland, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth Radipole Lane (original), Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington, Yarmouth.

Anyone know if he appeared at Crayford, Mildenhall, or Rye House? Also, not sure what oddments might be found from 1955-1959.

Willie Templeton - 61

Barrow Holker St, Barrow Park Road, Belle Vue Hyde Rd, Berwick Shielfield Park, Birmingham Perry Barr, Boston, Bradford Greenfield, Bradford Odsal, Bristol Knowle, Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cowdenbeath, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Crewe, Eastbourne, Edinburgh Old Meadowbank, Edinburgh Powderhall, Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow Blantyre, Glasgow Hampden park, Glasgow White City, Hackney, Halifax, Hull Boulevard, King's Lynn, Leicester, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Mildenhall, Milton Keynes Groveway, Motherwell, Neath, New Cross, Newcastle, Newport Somerton Park, Newtongrange, Oxford, Paisley, Peterborough, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading Tilehurst, Rye House, Scunthorpe Quibell Park, Sheffield, St. Austell, Stoke Loomer Rd, Stoke Sun Street, Sunderland, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth Radipole Lane (original), Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington.

Not sure if he also rode at Reading Smallmead or White City.

Steve

Edited to include updates, thanks to compost and BL65.

Edited by chunky

Guest compost

Willie Templeton rode at Crayford in 1977 scoring 0 from 2 rides according to the yearbook.

So...

Surprised to see a couple of names omitted from the list; the Templetons! What I have so far - and I'm missing some info - is this :

Doug Templeton - 60

Barrow Holker St, Belfast Dunmore, Belle Vue Hyde Rd, Berwick Shielfield Park, Birmingham Perry Barr, Boston, Bradford Greenfield, Bradford Odsal, Bristol Knowle, Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cowdenbeath, Cradley Heath, Crewe, Eastbourne, Edinburgh Old Meadowbank, Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow Ashfield, Glasgow Hampden Park, Glasgow White City, Hackney, Halifax, Hamilton Palace Rec Grounds (that's a new one to me!), Hull Boulevard, Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Motherwell, Neath, New Cross, Newcastle, Newport Somerton Park, Newtongrange, Norwich, Oxford, Paisley, Peterbrough, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading Tilehurst, Scunthorpe Quibell Park, Sheffield, Southampton, St. Austell, Stoke Loomer Rd, Stoke Sun Street, Sunderland, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington, Yarmouth.

Anyone know if he appeared at Crayford, Mildenhall, Rye House, or Weymouth Radipole Lane (original)? Also, not sure what oddments might be found from 1955-1959.

Willie Templeton - 59

Barrow Holker St, Barrow Park Road, Belle Vue Hyde Rd, Berwick Shielfield Park, Birmingham Perry Barr, Boston, Bradford Greenfield, Bradford Odsal, Bristol Knowle, Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cowdenbeath, Cradley Heath, Crewe, Eastbourne, Edinburgh Old Meadowbank, Edinburgh Powderhall, Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow Blantyre, Glasgow Hampden park, Glasgow White City, Hackney, Halifax, Hull Boulevard, King's Lynn, Leicester, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Mildenhall, Milton Keynes Groveway, Motherwell, Neath, New Cross, Newcastle, Newport Somerton Park, Newtongrange, Oxford, Peterborough, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading Tilehurst, Rye House, Scunthorpe Quibell Park, Sheffield, St. Austell, Stoke Loomer Rd, Stoke Sun Street, Sunderland, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth Radipole Lane (original), Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington.

Not sure if he also rode at Crayford, Reading Smallmead, or white City.

Steve

Doug rode at Weymouth in 1974.

Willie rode at Crayford and Paisley in 1975

Colin goodey rode for Poole and crayford in 1977,must of appeared at atleast 30 tracks that season

Again, many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. We will be going to press with Classic Speedway mag on Monday (Aug 22) and I think we're just about there with the final analysis, although I'd appreciate any observations and late amendments before then.

Interestingly, according to the Homes of British Speedway book, it turns out that Ken McKinlay and BOTH Templeton bros rode in meetings at Hamilton (see below).

it seems inconceivable that Jimmy Squibb, who lived at Poole, didn't ride in an official meeting at Ringwood, which was right on his doorstep. He surely had a practice spin(s) there, but we're not counting pure practice laps in this feature.

It seems odd that Colin Gooddy never rode at Middlesbrough . . . unless someone can prove otherwise....?

Anyway, if you can spare the time, please have a read through the copy below, which is set to go in the mag, and see if you agree with these calculations..

Some observations relating to our top eight who appeared at 60-plus circuits:

* Jimmy Squibb (Hastings, Hull Heddon, Tamworth and Wombwell), Ken McKinlay (Bothwell and Wigan), Colin Gooddy (Brafield) and George Major (Nelson and Ashington) were the only riders who rode in official meetings at the tracks in brackets. There are a couple of little known and rarely used outposts in there but they still count.

The superb Speedway Researcher website, an unrivalled source of info, records that McKinlay scored eight points as captain of the Bothwell Bulls team against the Will Lowther Select in the first-ever speedway meeting at Bothwell Park Farm, Bothwell, near Glasgow, on Saturday, November 26, 1949. The bikes were last heard at this open licence and training site owned by James Gibson in February 1951.

McKinlay and both Templeton brothers, from Fife, rode at Hamilton Showgrounds, another track marked out in a field near Glasgow where open events were held annually between 1948-51 and 1953-55. Doug Templeton actually won the Hamilton Cup for a second time at their final meeting on May 14, 1955. Meetings were referred to as 'grass speedway' in the programmes, although riders described the surface as shale.

* Barry Thomas is the only one to have ridden at both Milton Keynes venues. In more recent years, he added another track to his tick-list by competing in the veterans' championships at the Lydd circuit in Kent.

* George Hunter is the only rider to have ridden at the first two Scunthorpe tracks.

Before publishing the complete lists of tracks our top eight rode at, either in team or individual events, here are some points to note. Firstly, we have not taken into account any laps they had at what would be termed purely training tracks, which are virtually impossible to verify. So, unfortunately, Squibb's appearance at the Hamble site, near Southampton, in 1947 is not part of his list, nor is Barry Thomas credited for his practice spins at Reg Luckhurst's Bethersden, Kent facility.

Indoor meetings also do not count. However, non-league venues, such as Belfast (Dunmore), Cowdenbeath and Newtongrange, are included in our calculations.

Over the years a number of clubs ­ Wimbledon and Ipswich, for example ­ retained the same stadium but altered the size and shape of their track. But for the purpose of this exercise we classify them as one track. The current Rye House track, used for league racing since 1974, is located in a different area of the Hoddesdon site to where the original and bigger Southern Area League circuit used to be.

As far as we know, Barry Thomas never rode in an official team event at Iwade . . . but he most certainly completed many laps of the original circuit on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent. After all, it was the Hackney legend and his brother Ivor who built the place from scratch in the early 70s, so you might well think that 'Thommo' deserves to have Iwade (now known as Sittingbourne) added to his tally . . .

Now for those detailed track-by-track lists:

JIMMY SQUIBB 69
Aldershot, Barrow (Holker St), Belle Vue, Berwick (Shielfield Park), Birmingham (Alexander Sports), Birmingham (Perry Barr), Boston, Bradford (Greenfield), Bradford (Odsal), Bristol (Knowle), Canterbury, Cardiff, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Crewe, Eastbourne, Edinburgh (Old Meadowbank), Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Fleetwood, Glasgow (Ashfield), Glasgow (White City), Glasgow (Hampden Park), Hackney, Halifax, Harringay, Hastings, Hull Heddon, Hull Boulevard, Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Motherwell, Neath, New Cross, Newcastle, Newport, Norwich, Oxford, Peterborough, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading (Tilehurst), Rye House (1), Rye House (2), Scunthorpe (Quibell Park), Sheffield, Southampton, St. Austell, Stoke (Hanley), Stoke (Loomer Rd), Sunderland, Swindon, Tamworth, Walthamstow, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Wombwell, Workington, Yarmouth.

KEN McKINLAY 66
Barrow (Holker St), Belle Vue, Berwick (Shielfield Park), Birmingham (Alexander Sports), Birmingham (Perry Barr), Boston, Bothwell, Bradford (Odsal), Bristol (Knowle), Canterbury, Cardiff, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Crewe, Eastbourne, Edinburgh (Old Meadowbank), Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Fleetwood, Glasgow (Ashfield), Glasgow (White City), Glasgow (Hampden Park), Hackney, Halifax, Hamilton, Harringay, Hull (Boulevard), Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Mildenhall, Motherwell, New Cross, Newcastle, Newport, Norwich, Oxford, Paisley, Peterborough, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading Tilehurst, Rye House (2), Scunthorpe Quibell Park, Sheffield, Southampton, St. Austell, Stoke (Hanley), Stoke (Loomer Rd), Sunderland, Swindon, Walthamstow, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, Wigan, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington, Yarmouth.

GEORGE HUNTER 64
Barrow (Park Rd), Belfast (Dunmore), Belle Vue, Berwick (Shielfield Park), Berwick (Berrington Lough), Birmingham (Perry Barr), Boston, Bradford (Greenfield), Bradford (Odsal), Bristol (Knowle), Bristol (Eastville), Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cowdenbeath, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Eastbourne, Edinburgh (Old Meadowbank), Edinburgh (Powderhall), Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow (White City), Glasgow (Hampden Park, Glasgow (Blantyre), Glasgow (Craighead Park), Hackney, Halifax, Hull (Boulevard), Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Mildenhall, Milton Keynes (Groveway), Motherwell, Newcastle, Newport, Oxford, Peterborough, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading (Tilehurst), Reading (Smallmead), Rye House (2), Scunthorpe (Quibell Park), Scunthorpe (Ashby Ville), Sheffield, St. Austell, Stoke (Hanley), Stoke (Loomer Road), Sunderland, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, White City (London), Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington, Yarmouth.

WILLIE TEMPLETON 62
Barrow (Holker St), Barrow (Park Road), Belle Vue, Berwick (Shielfield Park), Birmingham (Perry Barr), Boston, Bradford (Greenfield), Bradford (Odsal), Bristol (Knowle), Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cowdenbeath, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Crewe, Eastbourne, Edinburgh (Old Meadowbank), Edinburgh (Powderhall), Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow (White City), Glasgow (Hampden Park), Glasgow (Blantyre), Hackney, Halifax, Hamilton, Hull (Boulevard), King's Lynn, Leicester, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Mildenhall, Milton Keynes (Groveway), Motherwell, Neath, New Cross, Newcastle, Newport, Newtongrange, Oxford, Paisley, Peterborough, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading (Tilehurst), Rye House (2), Scunthorpe (Quibell Park), Sheffield, St. Austell, Stoke (Hanley), Stoke (Loomer Rd), Sunderland, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington.

DOUG TEMPLETON 61
Barrow (Holker St), Belfast (Dunmore), Belle Vue, Berwick (Shielfield Park), Birmingham (Perry Barr), Boston, Bradford (Greenfield), Bradford (Odsal), Bristol (Knowle), Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cowdenbeath, Cradley Heath, Crewe, Eastbourne, Edinburgh (Old Meadowbank), Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow (Ashfield), Glasgow (White City), Glasgow (Hampden Park), Hackney, Halifax, Hamilton, Hull (Boulevard), Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Motherwell, Neath, New Cross, Newcastle, Newport, Newtongrange, Norwich, Oxford, Paisley, Peterborough, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading (Tilehurst), Scunthorpe (Quibell Park), Sheffield, Southampton, St. Austell, Stoke (Hanley), Stoke (Loomer Rd), Sunderland, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington, Yarmouth.

GEORGE MAJOR 61
Aldershot, Ashington, Barrow (Holker St), Belle Vue, Berwick (Shielfield Park), Birmingham (Perry Barr), Boston, Bradford (Odsal), Bristol (Knowle), California, Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Crewe, Doncaster, Eastbourne, Edinburgh (Old Meadowbank), Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow (White City), Glasgow (Hampden Park), Hackney, Halifax, Hull (Boulevard), Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Neath, Nelson, New Cross, Newcastle, Newport, Norwich, Oxford, Paisley, Peterborough, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Ringwood, Rochdale, Romford, Rye House (2), Scunthorpe (Quibell Park), Sheffield, Southampton, St. Austell, Stoke (Hanley), Stoke (Loomer Rd), Sunderland, Swindon, West Ham, Weymouth, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington, Yarmouth.

COLIN GOODDY 60
Aldershot, Belle Vue, Berwick (Shielfield Park), Birmingham (Perry Barr), Boston, Bradford (Odsal), Brafield, Bristol (Knowle), Bristol (Eastville), California, Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Eastbourne, Edinburgh (Old Meadowbank), Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow (White City), Glasgow (Hampden Park), Glasgow (Blantyre), Hackney, Halifax, Harringay, Hull (Boulevard), Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Long Eaton, Mildenhall, Motherwell, New Cross, Newcastle, Newport, Norwich, Oxford, Peterborough, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading (Tilehurst), Reading (Smallmead), Ringwood, Rye House (1), Rye House (2), Scunthorpe Quibell Park, Sheffield, Southampton, St. Austell, Stoke (Hanley), Stoke (Loomer Rd), Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, White City (London), Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington, Yarmouth.

BARRY THOMAS 60
Arena-Essex, Barrow (Park Rd), Belle Vue, Berwick (Shielfield Park), Berwick (Berrington Lough), Birmingham (Perry Barr), Birmingham (Bordesley Green), Boston, Bradford (Odsal), Bristol (Eastville), Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Crewe, Doncaster, Eastbourne, Edinburgh (Powderhall), Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow (Hampden Park), Glasgow (Blantyre), Glasgow (Craighead Park), Glasgow (Shawfield), Hackney, Halifax, Hull (Boulevard), Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Long Eaton, Lydd, Middlesbrough, Mildenhall, Milton Keynes (Groveway), Milton Keynes (Elfield Park), Newcastle, Newport, Oxford, Peterborough, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading (Tilehurst), Reading (Smallmead), Rochdale, Romford, Rye House (2), Scunthorpe (Ashby Ville), Sheffield, Stoke (Loomer Rd), Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, White City (London), Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington.

Other names whom you might have expected to figure prominently in our research (with their track totals in brackets) are: Bob Coles (59), Gordon Kennett (59), Les Collins (58), Tony Featherstone (58), Arthur Price (58), Reg Wilson (58), Doug Wyer (58), Jim McMillan (57), Eric Broadbelt (56), Brian Collins (55), Graham Drury (55), Laurie Etheridge (55), John Harrhy (55), Roger Johns (55), Mick Handley (53), Steve Lawson (53), Tom Leadbitter (53), Geoff Pusey (53), Alan Sage (53), Bobby Beaton (52), Bert Harkins (52), Malcolm Simmons (51). Two former World Champions, Peter Collins (47) and Ivan Mauger (45), were not far short of the half-century barrier.

Cheers,

Tony Mac

PS - As the recognised time-scale for Classic mag is the pre-70s, we have included above only those whose careers began before 1970, hence the omission of Robert Hollingworth, who will though be mentioned earlier in the published piece.

Edited by tmc

I would have thought Pete Jarman would be a decent score? Rode throughout the 60's and also had that NL spell at Arlington at the end of his career.

Edit: Meant to add how much I have enjoyed this thread and topic.

Edited by salty
  • Like 1