British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Who Has Ridden At Most Uk Tracks?

Again, many thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. We will be going to press with Classic Speedway mag on Monday (Aug 22) and I think we're just about there with the final analysis, although I'd appreciate any observations and late amendments before then.

Interestingly, according to the Homes of British Speedway book, it turns out that Ken McKinlay and BOTH Templeton bros rode in meetings at Hamilton (see below).

it seems inconceivable that Jimmy Squibb, who lived at Poole, didn't ride in an official meeting at Ringwood, which was right on his doorstep. He surely had a practice spin(s) there, but we're not counting pure practice laps in this feature.

It seems odd that Colin Gooddy never rode at Middlesbrough . . . unless someone can prove otherwise....?

Colin Gooddy rode for Crayford at Teesside/Middlesbrough on 7th May 1977 in a Nartional League match. Apologies for not having noticed this sooner.

• Like 1

I would have thought Pete Jarman would be a decent score? Rode throughout the 60's and also had that NL spell at Arlington at the end of his career.

Edit: Meant to add how much I have enjoyed this thread and topic.

You are correct Salty, I have checked and found that Speedy Pete appeared at the following 57 tracks:

Aldershot, Barrow, Belle Vue Hyde Road, Berwick, Birmingham Perry Barr Greyhound Stadium, Boston, Bradford Greenfields, Bradford Odsal, Bristol Knowle, Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Crewe, Eastbourne, Edinburgh Old Meadowbank, Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow Hampden, Glasgow White City, Hackney, Halifax, Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester Blackbird Road, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Mildenhall, New Cross, Newcastle, Newport Somerton Park, Oxford, Paisley, Peterborough, Plymouth Pennycross, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading Tilehurst, Rye House (2 tracks), Scunthorpe Quibell Park, Sheffield, Southampton, St Austell Par Moor, Stoke Loomer Road, Stoke Sun Street, Sunderland, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, Wigan, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington, Yarmouth.

• Like 2

You are correct Salty, I have checked and found that Speedy Pete appeared at the following 57 tracks:

Aldershot, Barrow, Belle Vue Hyde Road, Berwick, Birmingham Perry Barr Greyhound Stadium, Boston, Bradford Greenfields, Bradford Odsal, Bristol Knowle, Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Crewe, Eastbourne, Edinburgh Old Meadowbank, Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow Hampden, Glasgow White City, Hackney, Halifax, Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester Blackbird Road, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Mildenhall, New Cross, Newcastle, Newport Somerton Park, Oxford, Paisley, Peterborough, Plymouth Pennycross, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading Tilehurst, Rye House (2 tracks), Scunthorpe Quibell Park, Sheffield, Southampton, St Austell Par Moor, Stoke Loomer Road, Stoke Sun Street, Sunderland, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, Wigan, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington, Yarmouth.

Thank you.
  • Like 1

Willie Templeton also rode at Dunmore Stadium, Belfast on 8th July, 1968 scoring 15 pts for "Scotland" against "Belfast", for whom Brother Doug rode for.

Willie also rode in a couple of matches at Wigan Poolstock in 1960 (Ken McKInlay rode at the Wigan Woodhouse Lane in 1952 btw)

Neither Doug or Willie Templeton rode at Neath in 1962, as the Neath vs Edinburgh match was raced at St Austell.

The only Edinburgh rider to race at Neath was Dudley McKean in a World Championship Round.

Edited by cyclone
  • Like 1

On checking through and following up various posts I would add that Mike Broadbank appeared at the following (61 tracks):

Barrow, Belfast Dunmore, Belle Vue, Berwick, Birmingham Alexander, Birmingham Perry Barr, Boston, Bradford Odsal, Brafield, Bristol Knowle, California, Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Crewe, Eastbourne, Edinburgh, Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow Blantyre, Glasgow Hampden, Glasgow White City, Hackney, Halifax, Hull, Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Mildenhall, New Cross, Newcastle, Newport, Norwich, Oxford, Paisley, Peterborough, Plymouth, Poole, Rayleigh, Reading Smallmead, Reading Tilehurst, Rye House (2 tracks), Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Southampton, St Austell, Stoke Loomer Road, Sunderland, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington, Yarmouth.

• Like 2

I know that Irish tracks are debatable here, but if included then add Drogheda on 2/6/68 and Santry on 28/4/68 to Broady's list.

Edited by Sotonian

I know that Irish tracks are debatable here, but if included then add Drogheda on 2/6/68 and Santry on 28/4/68 to Broady's list.

Not tracks in part of the UK, so therefore do not count.

I agree that Republic of Ireland tracks should be excluded as not part of UK. If we start including them we might as well try to add NZ,SA, Canada and Australia tracks-at least they were part of the Commonwealth (SA till 1961) while the Republic was not.

Excellent article on this in the current Classic Speedway magazine. I think that the following adjustments/additions need to be made;

Ken McKinlay rode in three meetings at Belfast (Dunmore) in 1950 taking his total up to 67.

George Major rode for Doncaster at Newtongrange in 1970 taking his total up to 62.

Stan Stevens in a career from 1959 to 1976 appears to have been overlooked. I make it that he rode at 61 tracks at least - Aldershot, Barrow (Holker Street), Belle Vue (Hyde Road), Berwick (Shielfield), Birmingham (Perry Bar), Boston, Bradford (Odsal), Bradford (Greenfield), Brafield, Bristol (Knowle), Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Crewe, Eastbourne, Edinburgh (Old Meadowbank), Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow (White City), Glasgow (Hampden Park), Hackney, Halifax, Hull (Boulevard), Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Mildenhall, Neath, New Cross, Newcastle, Newport, Norwich, Oxford, Paisley, Peterborough, Plymouth (Pennycross), Poole, Rayleigh, Rochdale, Romford, Rye House, Scunthorpe (Quibell Park), Sheffield, Southampton, St Austell, Stoke (Hanley), Stoke (Loomer Road), Sunderland, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington, Yarmouth.

• Like 1

brough, on 13 Sept 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

Excellent article on this in the current Classic Speedway magazine. I think that the following adjustments/additions need to be made;

George Major rode for Doncaster at Newtongrange in 1970 taking his total up to 62.

The list I sent to Tony included Newtongrange for Major as one of his 62 tracks.

• Like 1

yesterdaysman, on 16 Sept 2016 - 11:49 PM, said:

Also missed Bradford (Greenfield) W C round May 1962 & V Neath June 1962 (63)

Bradford Greenfield was on the list. The Neath match 10th July 1962 was staged at St. Austell.

• Like 1

Bradford Greenfield was on the list. The Neath match 10th July 1962 was staged at St. Austell.

I wasn't questioning your fantastic work daveallan81, just saying tmc missed them in his article as on previous page.

The Neath meeting I was referring to was at Bradford (Greenfield) Hope this clears up any confusion.

• Like 1

yesterdaysman, on 17 Sept 2016 - 7:31 PM, said:

I wasn't questioning your fantastic work daveallan81, just saying tmc missed them in his article as on previous page.

The Neath meeting I was referring to was at Bradford (Greenfield) Hope this clears up any confusion.

I see now that I misread your post but I take no offence at people questioning my workings. I don't read the magazine so I have no idea of what went to print but it's good that folk are taking a good look and spotting errors or omissions - my earlier Bob Coles error for example. Cheers.

• Like 1

We accept that while it's unfortunate and frustrating, it's also inevitable that one or two mistakes and omissions would occur in a feature like this which includes so much detail spanning many years and was put together in such haste. In hindsight, I should have taken more time to check all the facts and shared them with those of you who have contributed for final verification before printing.

No matter, what's done is done - we'll make the appropriate amendments and print them in the next issue.

So please let me know ASAP if any other changes need to be made...

Thanks to all.

Ken McKinlay rode in three meetings at Belfast (Dunmore) in 1950 taking his total up to 67.

Stan Stevens in a career from 1959 to 1976 appears to have been overlooked. I make it that he rode at 61 tracks at least - Aldershot, Barrow (Holker Street), Belle Vue (Hyde Road), Berwick (Shielfield), Birmingham (Perry Bar), Boston, Bradford (Odsal), Bradford (Greenfield), Brafield, Bristol (Knowle), Canterbury, Coatbridge, Coventry, Cradley Heath, Crayford, Crewe, Eastbourne, Edinburgh (Old Meadowbank), Ellesmere Port, Exeter, Glasgow (White City), Glasgow (Hampden Park), Hackney, Halifax, Hull (Boulevard), Ipswich, King's Lynn, Leicester, Liverpool, Long Eaton, Middlesbrough, Mildenhall, Neath, New Cross, Newcastle, Newport, Norwich, Oxford, Paisley, Peterborough, Plymouth (Pennycross), Poole, Rayleigh, Rochdale, Romford, Rye House, Scunthorpe (Quibell Park), Sheffield, Southampton, St Austell, Stoke (Hanley), Stoke (Loomer Road), Sunderland, Swindon, Wembley, West Ham, Weymouth, Wimbledon, Wolverhampton, Workington, Yarmouth.

Thanks for bringing 'Stan the Man' to our attention. Can anyone please verify the Stevens list?

Edited by tmc