British Speedway Forum
mdmc82

Save Brandon Stadium Petition - Please Sign 👍🏻

I realised that this was posted in the EL section last time but it doesn't only affect bees. It also would effect NL and also fans from other teams who come to watch team & individual meetings.

We have already lost too many tracks.

Please can you take a few seconds to sign this new petition, regardless of which team you support, and help fight to stop this being the last year of sport at Brandon Stadium.

Thanks 👍🏻

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-borough-council-save-coventry-stadium?recruiter=538936898&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive

• Like 2

I realised that this was posted in the EL section last time but it doesn't only affect bees. It also would effect NL and also fans from other teams who come to watch team & individual meetings.

Please can you take a few seconds to sign this new petition, regardless of which team you support, and help fight to stop this being the last year of sport at Brandon Stadium.

Thanks

https://www.change.org/p/rugby-borough-council-save-coventry-stadium?recruiter=538936898&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_twitter_responsive

Signed.

Very best wishes on this.

Having experienced the debacle with Cradley Heath I would say it's best to lobby councillors to ring fence it as a 'Site for the Intensification of Sport and Leisure' . There is a good case as historically the stadium goes beck to the 1920's and it is a multi pupose stadium. Unfortunatley if the original owners could have secured a purchaser who could have redeveloped the stadium while retaining the track we wouldn't be here today. Keep fighting as Coventry could become one of the best stadiums in the country if this intensification of 'Brownfield' sites can be discredited. The word 'Brownfield' is too general and had to be tested? Stadiums and Public houses are amenities and not really 'Brownfield' sites.

Signed it.

Fingers crossed for you.

At Cradley we had over 30,000 sigs and still lost out to the Developers at their 7th attempt (2nd Public Inquiry).

Petitions don't carry a huge amount of weight unfortunately. As Pieman72 said you may be best trying to get the Council to zone the land for leisure use but given the application has been made under the current criteria that ship may have already sailed.

Best of luck anyway. I would hate to see Brandon go. As a Heathen I had some memorable nights there some great wins and some thumpings!

'Ommer the Developers!

It's very much a legal/political issue and an excellent point with petitions. While they canvass support they conume a lot of time that would be better spent fighting the case from a legal standpoint. The loss of leisure facilities is a polical 'hot potato' and local politicians are sensitive to the situation when they become associated with the loss of a facility that could impact on their apirations. Keep fighting 'Bees' you have a wonderful sports facility.

Coventry Bees have been offered a new lease on Brandon Stadium, thanks to last ditch talks coordinated by Rugby Borough Council.

The Coventry Bees speedway team had been facing their last season at the stadium after it had been sold for development. But after Cllr Michael Stokes, Leader of Rugby Borough Council, opened talks between the Bees and Agents acting for the new landowners, the owners have offered the Bees a new lease to allow the team to continue competing next season while they search a new site.

The new lease would run for one year from 1 January 2017, with the possibility of a further two years subject to conditions. The lease would allow Coventry Bees, junior race meetings and stock car or banger racing meetings. Additional events would be subject to individual agreement.

David Hargreaves, of FHP Property Consultants, acting on behalf of the stadium owners, said: “The pragmatic approach taken by Cllr Stokes has convinced the owners that a further period of time should be provided for the speedway team to find an alternative venue.

“There is no doubt that this deal would not have been possible without the involvement of the borough council.”

Cllr Michael Stokes, Leader of Rugby Borough Council, said: “It is clear that the situation the Bees and the other stadium users find themselves in is not ideal, but the lease that has been offered to them is a good compromise that will allow speedway and stock car racing to continue at Brandon for at least another year.

“I would like to thank FHP for their efforts in brokering this agreement, and for the time and trouble that they have gone to in putting this offer together.

“Additionally I would like to thank Mick Horton of the Coventry Bees for part he has played in allowing this offer to be made.

“After meeting fans groups earlier this year and hearing their concerns first hand, I am delighted to have been able to bring all of the interested parties together to allow an offer to be made.”

Mick Horton, of Coventry Speedway, said: “While the long-term future of the Coventry Bees is still a concern, there can be no doubt that this offer has given the speedway team some security in the short-term.

“Our next home fixtures against Leicester, Lakeside and Kings Lynn had looked like being our last. Now, however, our fans can support the team knowing that there is an offer on the table that will allow another full season at Brandon Stadium.”

• Like 4

Thanks

Good on ya mate

• Like 1