British Speedway Forum

Side cars at ryehouse? That would be a demolition derby.

they did 1000cc sidecars around Plymouth a couple of times.. really good racing although they do rip the track to pieces..

they did 1000cc sidecars around Plymouth a couple of times.. really good racing although they do rip the track to pieces..

and the air fence. :approve:

and the air fence. :approve:

they didn't have the air fence at the time.. but the fence did get hit a few times..

I must admit I fall into the category of speedway only and don't follow any other motorsport. There is no sport that comes close as a spectacle and there is no sport that can match the danger involved for participants. Speedway gives me butterflies before races start and feeling the vibrations in my chest standing at the tapes before the go up is just fantastic.

• Like 1

I must admit I fall into the category of speedway only and don't follow any other motorsport. There is no sport that comes close as a spectacle and there is no sport that can match the danger involved for participants. Speedway gives me butterflies before races start and feeling the vibrations in my chest standing at the tapes before the go up is just fantastic.

1000cc sidecars is mental the rate that the sidecars slam into the passenger is crazy.. I do agree speedway is one I follow but I wont shy away from watching sidecars if its on at a speedway track.

It would have to be 500, not 1000 sidecars. They go round the same way and use the same engines as speedway bikes and be easier to relate to. Also the size of some speedway tracks in the uk you wouldn't be able to fit four 1000 chairs in safely

With the demise in tracks and attendences particulalry in urban areas I would like to propose a different type of racing that could include different classes capacities and also the inclusion of sidecars and grasstrack bikes. There are a lot of lads out there and lasses who I'm sure would relish the opportunity to race on the shale. This very much only a discussion and I'd welcome comments or ideas that could take this proposal a stage further.

What oin the same night , ? Eh, no.

Very, very true and quite strange at the same time.

Speedway is a motor sport that isn't a really a motor sport - if that makes any sense.

From my observations, speedway fans are more likely to be into football than any other motor sport.

I'd agree with that...most other 'motor sports' have a following that seem to have a keen interest in the bikes or cars, many riding or driving, or tinkering.

Speedway has a few...but far less, from my experience, who could actually tell you about the workings of a Speedway bike, or have any interest in it what so ever.

Seems to be a following made from football, train spotting and darts :-)

If Speedway could find a way of harnessing that 'Club' feel in a better way, like football or rugby, then I feel things could improve spectator wise at tracks.

• Like 1

It's because it's a team sport, or at least an individual sport adapted into one. It attracts people who want to support a team and the bikes are just a means to an end like a ball in football or a puck in ice hockey.

The scoring and general statistical side also attracts a different kind of supporter to general motor sport.

Rather than try to fix labels or lament a wider interest in motor sport let's celebrate what we love and acknowledge that it is a sport 'apart'.

We still have that 'club' feel at many tracks but it is greatly diminished since too many riders are far too busy getting to another country to stay after the meeting and get to know the fans.

We're on the level of non-league football, the amateur level of rugby and what are minority spectator sports in the UK, ice hockey and basketball Just look at the crowd figures (estimated in speedway of course) to see. The difference is that while the last two do have limited numbers of foreign players they are based here and not constantly flying round Europe. How we think we can have riders flying thousands of miles to perform in front of hundreds of people does beat me.

Too often those vital social links are now broken - they made people feel part of the 'club' and perhaps a little more tolerant and understanding of the odd defeat. It may have been a defeat, but it weas OUR team giving its all.

If only we could find more to understand and share our love. Leave the 'labelling', whether kind or hostile to others.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 2

Critically I'd like some radical ideas that are practicable rather than what has been done and failed in the past. What are we getting for a £17 to £19 admission charge and is watching exactly the same bikes racing round and round going to pull in the punters?

1000cc sidecars is mental the rate that the sidecars slam into the passenger is crazy.. I do agree speedway is one I follow but I wont shy away from watching sidecars if its on at a speedway track.

It would have to be 500, not 1000 sidecars. They go round the same way and use the same engines as speedway bikes and be easier to relate to. Also the size of some speedway tracks in the uk you wouldn't be able to fit four 1000 chairs in safely

Try going to Coventry stadium next Friday (June 3rd) - full programme of 1000cc sidecars plus supporting 500cc sidecar races. They held 2 meetings there last season and I think 4 are planned for this year. Four 1000cc outfits on the track at the same time - no problem but it does get a bit hectic at times

This idea was called Cavalcade of Speed meetings back in the day. I enjoyed the ones we had a Cradley, although they appeared at other tracks as well, as the Midgets cars were first class, never really took to the side cars tho.

Perhaps some enterprising promoter could try them again in some form.

Edited by berniev123

Some excellent idea's are being put forward and thanks for the likes and comments. Speedway supporters and a great bunch. Realisticly it has to be pure racing and definitely Speedway only. Having a 250 class would enable young and under financed riders to compete they work perfectly well on the grass and points money must be dependent on the crowd. I want something inexpensive and exciting that I can look forward to every meeting tall order but achievable.

In respect of Barry Bishop and the Isle of Wight Masters Series going in the right direction. Just thought I'd post this as I have been advocating Grasstrack Stadium racing for years. Hopefully it will grow and more venues will be able to stage this unique interesting racing enabling riders to capitalise on their expenditure on equipment.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

In respect of Barry Bishop and the Isle of Wight Masters Series going in the right direction. Just thought I'd post this as I have been advocating Grasstrack Stadium racing for years. Hopefully it will grow and more venues will be able to stage this unique interesting racing enabling riders to capitalise on their expenditure on equipment.

Im keeping my fingers crossed for the return of the 1000cc sidecars to the Island. Suits an end of season event as they trash the track surface but crikey do they serve up some brilliant entertainment.

• Like 1