British Speedway Forum

27 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

In respect of Barry Bishop and the Isle of Wight Masters Series going in the right direction. Just thought I'd post this as I have been advocating Grasstrack Stadium racing for years. Hopefully it will grow and more venues will be able to stage this unique interesting racing enabling riders to capitalise on their expenditure on equipment.

I remember the side cars at the old Hyde Rd track doing 2nd Half races and also remember the crowds that stayed behind were much higher than the usual 2nd half racing attracted.. 

A novelty value maybe, but Speedway could certainly do with a few of those..

Those with bigger tracks may run Stox already so the sidecars wont rip up the tracks as badly as those monsters do..

And having seen them in the US racing on tiny 110m circuits without destroying the surface, ran alongside the solos rather than after them, (akin to Grasstrack), I can definitely testify that they are a great watch.. 

15 heats of Solo racing in a contrived made up team sport scenario isnt cutting it so anything else that can pull punters in has to be worth a go .

The big problem is the 1000cc Chairs plough up the surface and need a a large field with a lot of room rather than a restricted track to operate properly. Must admit they are spectacular on shale. There are few if any tracks large enough to stage them. There is no reason why 500's could be used which provide great entertainment. I just can't understand why no one had gone down this stadium route before 250's, 350's even GT 150's. There are loads of riders in all classes who'd like the opportunity just race and stadium racing gives them the perfect opportunity. I see IOW have got James Shanes and Edward Kennet on board they are full on and spectacular well done and good look to everyone at Smallbrook what entertainment for £12 hopefully this will grow and more stadiums will become available. Chasewater Stadium, Cannock, Staffs now demolished staged a Long Track years ago but that's they type of venue that's required. This won't replace current Speedway team racing but is a good opportunity for British riders to compete as opportunities for them and becoming very expensive and virtually non existent.

• Like 1

1000cc chairs do need the bigger circuits to produce their best but IOW, Belle Vue, Somerset have all hosted spectacular racing in the past, i think Kings Lynn has also. The 500 chairs can produce entertainment but it is a bit dialled down and don't quite have the thrill of the big chairs. That said lower power can generate closer racing, i feel that if the main solo class was downgraded to 250cc machines it would mean every rider would have to get everything out the engine and use track craft to get the wins rather than being reliant on having the best motor and the biggest b&lls which is often the case now. All of these require gradual changes over time but fastest isn't always bestest. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Sings4Speedway said:

1000cc chairs do need the bigger circuits to produce their best but IOW, Belle Vue, Somerset have all hosted spectacular racing in the past, i think Kings Lynn has also. The 500 chairs can produce entertainment but it is a bit dialled down and don't quite have the thrill of the big chairs. That said lower power can generate closer racing, i feel that if the main solo class was downgraded to 250cc machines it would mean every rider would have to get everything out the engine and use track craft to get the wins rather than being reliant on having the best motor and the biggest b&lls which is often the case now. All of these require gradual changes over time but fastest isn't always bestest. 

As my lad was told when he started cycle Speedway racing..

"You dont have to be the fastest, you just need to be fast enough to not let them past"..

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Pieman72 said:

The big problem is the 1000cc Chairs plough up the surface and need a a large field with a lot of room rather than a restricted track to operate properly. Must admit they are spectacular on shale. There are few if any tracks large enough to stage them. There is no reason why 500's could be used which provide great entertainment. I just can't understand why no one had gone down this stadium route before 250's, 350's even GT 150's. There are loads of riders in all classes who'd like the opportunity just race and stadium racing gives them the perfect opportunity. I see IOW have got James Shanes and Edward Kennet on board they are full on and spectacular well done and good look to everyone at Smallbrook what entertainment for £12 hopefully this will grow and more stadiums will become available. Chasewater Stadium, Cannock, Staffs now demolished staged a Long Track years ago but that's they type of venue that's required. This won't replace current Speedway team racing but is a good opportunity for British riders to compete as opportunities for them and becoming very expensive and virtually non existent.

I think this is one of the problems with speedway, clinging onto team racing, is what is killing speedway as a sport. You could have several individual meetings, spit the country into zones or centres (similar to grasstrack) and every now and then, create a team from the riders within the centre/zone/district, whatever you want to call it, to race against other teams, in a team meeting. Once again, similar to grasstrack's inter-centre meetings. This will create more variety for the supporters. Pay the riders? No, pay them prize money based on gate takings.  

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Ray Stadia said:

I think this is one of the problems with speedway, clinging onto team racing, is what is killing speedway as a sport. You could have several individual meetings, spit the country into zones or centres (similar to grasstrack) and every now and then, create a team from the riders within the centre/zone/district, whatever you want to call it, to race against other teams, in a team meeting. Once again, similar to grasstrack's inter-centre meetings. This will create more variety for the supporters. Pay the riders? No, pay them prize money based on gate takings.  

Bingo...

Dont run 20 meetings and pay out literally hundreds of thousand in salaries for 40 meetings, with poor returns and attendances....

Instead run say 10 meetings over six months from April to September (March if Easter falls then), with BIG prize money and promote and advertise them properly, using all the Bank Holidays available, and run Saturday and Sunday if it's your best day to attract a crowd..

Even those who rent must be able to negotiate 10 meetings per season only with their landlords given the current economic situation, and those landlords who keep the bar and car park take would be pleased to have large crowds attending Speedway meetings that have some "meaning" surely?

16, or even 12 at a push, riders of similar level at each meeting, therefore all races competitive and (if only 12 riders) the prize money shared would be greater.. 

Plenty of meetings for the riders, a chance to still earn good money and "proper, meaningful speedway" for the fans to watch..

Stick in a few "extras" to supplement the racing similar to the way the IOW do and who knows, it may help relaunch some "team racing" that starts again from scratch and doesnt remake all the mistakes which has led it to its current situation..

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, mikebv said:

Bingo...

Dont run 20 meetings and pay out literally hundreds of thousand in salaries for 40 meetings, with poor returns and attendances....

Instead run say 10 meetings over six months from April to September (March if Easter falls then), with BIG prize money and promote and advertise them properly, using all the Bank Holidays available, and run Saturday and Sunday if it's your best day to attract a crowd..

Even those who rent must be able to negotiate 10 meetings per season only with their landlords given the current economic situation, and those landlords who keep the bar and car park take would be pleased to have large crowds attending Speedway meetings that have some "meaning" surely?

16, or even 12 at a push, riders of similar level at each meeting, therefore all races competitive and (if only 12 riders) the prize money shared would be greater.. 

Plenty of meetings for the riders, a chance to still earn good money and "proper, meaningful speedway" for the fans to watch..

Stick in a few "extras" to supplement the racing similar to the way the IOW do and who knows, it may help relaunch some "team racing" that starts again from scratch and doesnt remake all the mistakes which has led it to its current situation..

Genuinely doesn't sound that daft does it. Paying out for away meetings basically paying 14 riders from each gate, if its a 12 rider meeting then saving is already there, then throw in that you can pick and match up the riders to create a good meeting and you don't have to pick the top stars to create good racing but still use riders that are on show every week at CL level for example. Then as stated bulk out with additional races, 2nd halves throughout the match with riders that would happily turn out and put on a good show for just a contribution towards their costs. 

• Like 1

Dumbing down  leads to more dumbing down which leads to there is nothing left to dumb down.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

Dumbing down  leads to more dumbing down which leads to there is nothing left to dumb down.

What would be your solution? :unsure:

27 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

There is nothing left to dumb done now,just stop paying out more money than coming through the gate just to give riders a nice little earner.When Will they finally accept that fact,as Clubs go to the wall one by one.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, wealdstone said:

The type of format that is similar to Grasstrack would attract a spectator as opposed to a supporter. Less Anorakky and less dumbing down?

• Like 1

I remember seeing sidecars at Rye House as a special second half attraction in the days of Ronnie Russell. I thought they were pretty entertaining. Is my memory deceiving me or did Sky not show a sidecar meeting from the Isle of Wight? I recall it as being a bit disappointing in racing quality.

1 hour ago, wealdstone said:

The NDL (pre covid) was the lowest level possible. ..

Yet also appeared to be the most profitable..

Something in that worth scrutinising if they desperately want to keep "team speedway" for me...

2 hours ago, mikebv said:

Bingo...

and pay rent for 12 months on a stadium your only going to use for 10 evenings ?
Think again.

6 minutes ago, Fortythirtyeight said:

and pay rent for 12 months on a stadium your only going to use for 10 evenings ?
Think again.

How many Clubs pay for 12 months rent.That is the question.

• Like 1