British Speedway Forum
dj350z

If And When Bomber Retires..............

................from the sport, who will be the new Mr Coventry Speedway?

We have been lucky at Broandon over the years to have had Booey, Ole, TK/KT, Hans (possibly) and of course currently Bomber who have been Coventry Speedway through and through!

Just wondering.......

We have been lucky at Broandon over the years to have had Booey, Ole, TK/KT, Hans (possibly) and of course currently Bomber who have been Coventry Speedway through and through!

Just wondering.......

think the new stadium(?) will automatically bring a new generation of Mr coventry

think the new stadium(?) will automatically bring a new generation of Mr coventry

What new stadium, have I missed something

think you should be more concerned about if coventry continue other than a rider.. what a shame to see a team go because of a stadium.. good luck to them finding a new home..

• Like 5

Just wondering.......

How dare you even consider Olsen as Mr Coventry Speedway? Or mention him in the same breath/sentence as Nigel Boocock

There's only been two Mr Coventry Speedways - Nigel and Mr Ochiltree

Tommy Knudsen might have achieved that title had he ridden for longer

Chris Harris gets closer than most

How dare you even consider Olsen as Mr Coventry Speedway? Or mention him in the same breath/sentence as Nigel Boocock

There's only been two Mr Coventry Speedways - Nigel and Mr Ochiltree

Tommy Knudsen might have achieved that title had he ridden for longer

Chris Harris gets closer than most

Why would you not consider Olsen as a great? the days with Olsen and Central sport /Gary Newbon great days the Cradley matches were great.I also remember Red you said Olsen could not teamride really? Knudsen,Nicholaijsen, Guglielmi, Stancl, Busk,Miller all gained loads from Olsen in that regard.
  • Like 3

Hated him then, still do - sorry, just a personal opinion - good rider, undoubtedly

The only time I've cheered a rider falling (not out loud, though) was when he fell in the 1977 final in Gothenburg

His circus has ruined British speedway and I will not forgive him for that

• Like 2

Sorry, you 'hated him'? You cheered when he fell off in the world final?

He must have done something pretty bad to you personally then. He was fantastic for Coventry and a thorn in the side for every other British league team. And as Sid said, a brilliant team rider, especially with GG.

• Like 2

By 'hated' I mean I disliked him intensely - the same way I feel about Duncan Ferguson, Alex Ferguson, Marouane Fellaini and Kevin Pietersen

I cheered his loss of three points at Ullevi, only when it was clear he was uninjured

We each have our own likes and dislikes, and Olsen tops my speedway list - which is not a very long one

In 52+ years following this great sport, to me, no one comes near him as a dislike

So Olsen would have been Coventry skipper during quite a chunk of the time you supported the Bees? Must have been pretty difficult to watch the team with him in the side then? He was a prolific scorer during his Coventry days.

• Like 4

I cheered his loss of three points at Ullevi, only when it was clear he was uninjured.

Yeah, course you did mate.

Jeezus, that comment should be in 'BackTrack' magazine!

Not only a wonderful memory, but the only speedway supporter that's ever cheered AFTER a fallen rider is back on his feet.

Think not.

• Like 1

By 'hated' I mean I disliked him intensely

Why? Prior to Ole signing for the Bees in 1976, they were going nowhere. Booey was gearing up for retirement, although it didn't initially last that long, and who else was there in the team to take them forward? No one, that's who.

Which is why Charles Ochiltree stared down the rest of British Speedway until he got his man. He did one of the shrewdest pieces of business in British League history when he paid an undisclosed sum of money to Hull Speedway to secure the Dane's services. Ochiltree and Olsen needed each other and they knew it. Olsen's reputation as an out and out team man and his uncanny knack of getting the best out of the most unlikely team mates turned Coventry into title contenders and attractive visitors everywhere they went. Always gave good interviews as well, and was willing to call any situation as he saw it, which got him into trouble with the authorities on more than one occasion.

He was a real character as well, a 'bums non seats' person who fans would go to see, if only to see him get beaten. I remember him being interviewed (by Tony Butler, I believe) during the interval of the 1977 Second City Trophy at Perry Barr and it was interrupted by the famous 'Soldier Boy'. What followed was around five minutes of totally unscripted comedy gold, real interaction between a rider and a fan. We certainly don't get that today.

Whatever you think of the Grand Prix series, IMO it's churlish in the extreme not to recognise what Ole Olsen contributed to British Speedway over something like 17 seasons. That he spent eight of those seasons with Coventry is more than enough to suggest he is worthy of consideration of the title 'Mr Coventry Speedway' alongside the likes of Nigel Boocock, Ron Mountford, Les Owen, Tommy Knudsen and Chris Harris.

One final thought. At the conclusion of his Farewell Meeting, the 1983 Brandonapolis, he stood on the No1 step of the victory rostrum and delivered his final speech. After apologising to Kenny Carter for momentarily taking his place, it began to drizzle with rain. 'It isn't raining' he began, 'these are my tears at leaving British Speedway'. He then went on to thank Britian, not Denmark, because in his opinion, this country had given him all the riches, monetary and otherwise, during his career. A real character, and one such person the sport is badly missing today.

• Like 8

Why? Prior to Ole signing for the Bees in 1976, they were going nowhere. Booey was gearing up for retirement, although it didn't initially last that long, and who else was there in the team to take them forward? No one, that's who.

Which is why Charles Ochiltree stared down the rest of British Speedway until he got his man. He did one of the shrewdest pieces of business in British League history when he paid an undisclosed sum of money to Hull Speedway to secure the Dane's services. Ochiltree and Olsen needed each other and they knew it. Olsen's reputation as an out and out team man and his uncanny knack of getting the best out of the most unlikely team mates turned Coventry into title contenders and attractive visitors everywhere they went. Always gave good interviews as well, and was willing to call any situation as he saw it, which got him into trouble with the authorities on more than one occasion.

He was a real character as well, a 'bums non seats' person who fans would go to see, if only to see him get beaten. I remember him being interviewed (by Tony Butler, I believe) during the interval of the 1977 Second City Trophy at Perry Barr and it was interrupted by the famous 'Soldier Boy'. What followed was around five minutes of totally unscripted comedy gold, real interaction between a rider and a fan. We certainly don't get that today.

Whatever you think of the Grand Prix series, IMO it's churlish in the extreme not to recognise what Ole Olsen contributed to British Speedway over something like 17 seasons. That he spent eight of those seasons with Coventry is more than enough to suggest he is worthy of consideration of the title 'Mr Coventry Speedway' alongside the likes of Nigel Boocock, Ron Mountford, Les Owen, Tommy Knudsen and Chris Harris.

One final thought. At the conclusion of his Farewell Meeting, the 1983 Brandonapolis, he stood on the No1 step of the victory rostrum and delivered his final speech. After apologising to Kenny Carter for momentarily taking his place, it began to drizzle with rain. 'It isn't raining' he began, 'these are my tears at leaving British Speedway'. He then went on to thank Britian, not Denmark, because in his opinion, this country had given him all the riches, monetary and otherwise, during his career. A real character, and one such person the sport is badly missing today.

Well said.

So Olsen would have been Coventry skipper during quite a chunk of the time you supported the Bees? Must have been pretty difficult to watch the team with him in the side then? He was a prolific scorer during his Coventry days.

Who said I supported the Bees? I was a regular at Brandon, yes, also Perry Barr and Blackbird Road

Yes it was difficult to watch Bees with him in the side, being hailed as hero, replacing a man who'd earned such adulation over many years

That I think was probably the crux of the matter - I couldn't accept him walking in and taking over Nigel's mantle

And I'd hardly call him a "character" as another poster has

Edited by Midland Red