British Speedway Forum
dj350z

If And When Bomber Retires..............

And he reiterated that at the Evening with Olsen at the Cleveland Arms in Wolverhampton in February this year saying British Speedway gave him everything and it really hurts him to see it in the state it is now in.

That maybe so but his GP series has done serious damage to it over the years not least destroying weekend speedway at EL level in this country ,so maybe his words are somewhat "hollow" to say the least !!

Edited by FAST GATER

Ole may have said the reason he left Wolves,was because he wanted to ride at a bigger track than Monmore.

But that wasn't the case in 77.If I remember correctly,he wanted some kind of retainer/loyalty bonus after being there six seasons.

Parker/Bridgett refused to pay it,then it all got rather messy,and he left under a cloud.

Olsen - speedway LEGEND of the 70's AND early 80's.

Booey - a bloke who wore blue leathers.

I know who I would have wanted in a Hackney jacket. ;)

Boocock was never as good a rider as Olsen but he was a top rider, just one step down from the super stars. He epitomised a never say die, never know when you're beaten attitude and gave heart and soul for the Bees over many seasons. He was a far more exciting rider to watch than Olsen and popular everywhere. I would certainly have him in a Belle Vue team.

Bomber has a similar attitude. He is not as good as Booey but again someone I would gladly have as an Ace.

• Like 4

I think people don't always enjoy what is here and now, To see riders like Mark Loram ride at his best was brilliant. As with Scott Nicholls it won't be till they have retired and you look back and think how lucky were we to see him ride. Especially at Coventry I think Harris will always be remembered as a rider who gave his all and was always committed to club and country. That in it's self can not be said for many these days. In a way Harris has been an easy target for the haters, like Andy smith was back when I was growing up. I would much rather see a meeting with really good honest racers in such as Harris rather than a gate and go such as Hans Andersen is, nothing against his style its got him success but from a spectator you always want to be entertained.

• Like 3

Who said I supported the Bees? I was a regular at Brandon, yes, also Perry Barr and Blackbird Road

Yes it was difficult to watch Bees with him in the side, being hailed as hero, replacing a man who'd earned such adulation over many years

That I think was probably the crux of the matter - I couldn't accept him walking in and taking over Nigel's mantle

And I'd hardly call him a "character" as another poster has

So if you did not support Coventry you arent really in a position to claim whether Ole was The King Of Coventry or not then?! Couldnt accept him 'taking Nigel's mantle'?...oh dear you do have some hang up's!

As a Wolves fan I was extremely disappointed when Olsen left. I assumed at the time that we had a poor promotion in Parker and Bridgett, who wouldn't pay him what he wanted and also that he was sick of being in an unsuccessful team and having to carry virtually all of the burden. We came out very badly from the whole sorry mess as we obtained both Jim McMillan and Tommy Johanssen from Hull, the latter who never turned a wheel for us and we used rider replacement for him all year! Whilst Jim was a lovely guy, he couldn't replace Olsen who was world champion at the time. Despite the manner of his leaving, Olsen is easily in my Wolves all time top 7.

• Like 1

Ole may have said the reason he left Wolves,was because he wanted to ride at a bigger track than Monmore.

But that wasn't the case in 77.If I remember correctly,he wanted some kind of retainer/loyalty bonus after being there six seasons.

Parker/Bridgett refused to pay it,then it all got rather messy,and he left under a cloud.

Interesting sidelight that, thanks!