Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Let's get rid of 'Double Points' - doo dah, doo dah,

Let's get rid of 'Double Points' - Doo Dah Doo Dah Day. :t::party: :party: :party: :party:

Then I can return.

I do hope that Mr. Chapman is at least considering it. :approve:

Mr Chapman does not like double points if that's any comfort to you

• Like 2

Mr Chapman does not like double points if that's any comfort to you

Thank you very much for that Danny.

If he get's rid of that stupid Rule - I will return to Newcastle Speedway like a shot.

As long as the Rule is in place - I will not.

I am now hopeful.................

I await developments with interest. :t:

Thank you very much for that Danny.

If he get's rid of that stupid Rule - I will return to Newcastle Speedway like a shot.

As long as the Rule is in place - I will not.

I am now hopeful.................

I await developments with interest. :t:

Just to hand you a spanner to have a go at a working engine, we are still having to rely on the other voting clowns though

• Like 1

Just to hand you a spanner to have a go at a working engine, we are still having to rely on the other voting clowns though

Very true Danny - very true. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Sadly you have brought me down to earth with a bump. :o

Speedway rules are not complicated.

Try looking at some other sports and comparing.

• Like 2

Getting the big names is not the be all & end all of fixing British Speedway. The big names are completely irrelevant.

British Speedway needs to create it's own big names and we could be heading in the right direction with that already.

Some great promise coming through, Robert Lambert, Dan Bewley & Jack Parkinson-Blackburn to name 3

The issue is and has always been the organisation of the BSPA in helping these kids out.

The rules is absolutely the right place to start to fix all evils, then hopefully things move in the right direction from there on in.

Surely it would help attract more TV interest if the best names in world speedway are competing here on a set night, especially if channels like Sky and BT Sport need something to flill the void left by football in the summer months.

I welcome the sports body looking at the rules (we all know some are plain confusing and silly) but the sports rules are way down the list of problems:

- Poor quality tracks

- Poor shaped tracks not conducive to good speedway

- Lack of national media interest (needs a top PR company on the case)

- Lack of big name riders (Hancock, Emil, Tai)

I accept some of those are outside the BSPA's influence of change with the first two. But lets be honest, great racing and people will put up with naff rules. Even with perfect rules, poor racing won't keep people coming back.

I don't have answers, but I do know that the sports problems in this country are not down to just poor rules.

• Like 1

The last time I went to a meeting 2 years ago there was not a single pass the whole meeting.

There was huge 'gaps' during the meeting when nothing was happening, so it was a matter of listening to the music over the PA.

It took a couple of hours to see 15 processional 'races' and not much else happened.

Fair to say there is a bit of room for improvement.

• Like 2

If the rules were not so complicated there would be far less potential for them to be bent.

The rules themselves are not complicated. Its all the addons to seal up holes that are being exploited. No good having a set of rules a team can dive through like water through a seive.

The average fiasco must be number one on the adjenda. Secondly, as someone else posted the other day, there only has to be two more rules.

1. Poole to win.

2. If Poole are losing, see rule one.

Surely it would help attract more TV interest if the best names in world speedway are competing here on a set night, especially if channels like Sky and BT Sport need something to flill the void left by football in the summer months.

I welcome the sports body looking at the rules (we all know some are plain confusing and silly) but the sports rules are way down the list of problems:

- Poor quality tracks

- Poor shaped tracks not conducive to good speedway

- Lack of national media interest (needs a top PR company on the case)

- Lack of big name riders (Hancock, Emil, Tai)

Lets put this into perspective. You will never get the top boys back here whether you have one night a week or 6, they are not going to come back here for a pittance in comparison to what they get in Poland Sweden and the GP'S, they are very happy with there lots.

Poor quality of tracks, yes there are many of them, but you cannot have it all ways. To run a speedway club it costs a lot of momey, to bring back the big boys it would cost a hell of a lot of money to bring in good track equipment would cost ALL club a lot of money, and the majority of clubs are struggling now.

I do agree with the point of poorly shaped tracks, speedway is an entertainment business, and having drab 1234 speedway is not entertainment.

And yes, the rule book needs shredding and re writting

Edited by Starman2006

The last time I went to a meeting 2 years ago there was not a single pass the whole meeting.

There was huge 'gaps' during the meeting when nothing was happening, so it was a matter of listening to the music over the PA.

It took a couple of hours to see 15 processional 'races' and not much else happened.

Apparently it's no different to when the sport attracted decent crowds and had plenty of fixtures. So they tell us.

• Like 3

My changes would be:

End double points, but allow a team 8 points behind choice of gate positions.

Fast track riders can only move up to be second strings.

Otherwise the actual rule book seems fair enough to me, the sport could be promoted far better etc, but the rules themselves aren't the problem.

• Like 2

Busters just sold King's Lynn FC stating he's to busy to put the time into the club it deserves.Maybe it will mean more time for speedway..

Speedway rules are not complicated.

Try looking at some other sports and comparing.

IF they are not complicated then many are at best a nonsense.

you shouldn't of gone to Leicester ;)

Far from encouraging, I found it depressing and really rather embarrassing.

The titular head of the sport in this country openly admits to the grotesque failings of the organisation he has been a member of for almost 20 years. And can offer no solution whatsoever.

The best he can come up with is that the referees have to sort it out for him.

As if it a proven fact that, as a group, they represent the intelligencia of modern Speedway!

Really?

The entire article revolves around a lament that neither he nor any other member of the association had the brainpower to foresee the bizarre nature of their plans for team formation and how they would develop.

Thick as mince.

Yet one of the top guys in the BSPA decided to call fans "think, biased or both" when they saw the farce coming.

I wonder if Jon Cook still think it's the fans who were thick now with the benefit of hindsight? If he does he's quite clearly "thick, biased or both"!