British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gresham

Second Half Meetings....

To be honest, the second half as it was called back in the day was also mostly free to watch (At Leicesters old Blackbird Rd track) the gates were opened after about heat 10/11 of the main match, some fans left, but also some came in, and that's how I got my first look at speedway by entering the stadium after the main match had finished... I got to see some competitive stuff (Star of the night) a couple of reserves races, a three ht Cubs v ????? Juniors match, and then the "Learners" as they were called back then... And I was hooked!! And so was my dad!!!

Edited by Shale Searcher
  • Like 1

All very well HA being your usual high and mighty self, but there are many who do what I do, carried out within a reasonable time frame, and making it possible for young riders to get rides.

Got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning? I was responding to the suggestion that second halves can't be run in a reasonable timeframe, which I suggested and you've just verified is nonsense. In what way was I denigrating the efforts of those tracks who do create training opportunities if not put on actual second halves?

Simple fact of the matter is though, that whereas at one time fans used to get 20 or so heats as a matter of course, this was gradually cut back over the years with the remaining heats were frequently strung-out over a longer time. Some tracks of course did and do attempt to run some extra races, but this is still largely ad-hoc and the paying punter can't guarantee exactly what they'll get.

Incidently, I will shortly be starting up my usual weekly FREE training schools in the afternoons on match day, everything provided. What do you do ?

Good for you, but I do plenty in another form of motorsport which I thought was more deserving of my time.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

To be honest, the second half as it was called back in the day was also mostly free to watch (At Leicesters old Blackbird Rd track) the gates were opened after about heat 10/11 of the main match, some fans left, but also some came in, and that's how I got my first look at speedway by entering the stadium after the main match had finished... I got to see some competitive stuff (Star of the night) a couple of reserves races, a three ht Cubs v ????? Juniors match, and then the "Learners" as they were called back then... And I was hooked!! And so was my dad!!!

Yes I remember friends of mine gaining access after the main meeting. At least it gave potential new fans an opportunity of seeing what speedway was all about.

I was also thrilled at presenting Dag Lovass (one of my early heroes) a bottle of bubbly after the second half Grand Final at 'The Rebels' very last Cowley meeting in 1975!

Edited by steve roberts

Got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning? I was responding to the suggestion that second halves can't be run in a reasonable timeframe, which I suggested and you've just verified is nonsense. In what way was I denigrating the efforts of those tracks who do create training opportunities if not put on actual second halves?

Simple fact of the matter is though, that whereas at one time fans used to get 20 or so heats as a matter of course, this was gradually cut back over the years with the remaining heats were frequently strung-out over a longer time. Some tracks of course did and do attempt to run some extra races, but this is still largely ad-hoc and the paying punter can't guarantee exactly what they'll get.

Good for you, but I do plenty in another form of motorsport which I thought was more deserving of my time.

And I am saying that it is done at many tracks on a weekly basis. You say it can't be done and it is, so you are denigrating or ignoring the efforts of others that do. Stick to GoKarting.

You say it can't be done and it is, so you are denigrating or ignoring the efforts of others that do.

I said nothing of the sort, and you're also being just as denigrating as what I'm being accused of.

How many people who have commented on this thread actually attend meetings?

Do they actually know where the riders learned how to ride or gained experience?

If you do not want to watch don`t, but do not criticize the efforts of everyone who put time and effort into these meetings.

• Like 4

I'm really not sure what is going on on this thread.

Some people have stated they don't watch second halves.. (personally I did in most cases).. and it's been pointed out that the majority of fans don't stay for them either so it's not a game changer in terms of bringing in fans.

Somehow that has been turned into an attack on people who organise second halves and the reason for British riders not being successful!

Nobody has done any such thing.

Staggering.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 2

Agree BWitcher.Strange turn around

I'd agree with Steve Roberts in that having,if you were a BL track,a sister track did provide a chance to see some of the top up and coming youngsters.At Wimbledon we didn't really have that.Ok a few like Gordon Kennett and Ted Hubbard would appear,but generally our record in the 70s and 80s of bringing youngsters through was fairly poor.We did have the bonus that when a big meeting was held at Wembley some of those overseas riders might turn up for an 'after meeting' run out.Which was then even later than the second half :P We also got an early look at Scott Autrey and Sumner McKnight who appeared in a second half at the start f the '73 season

Like I say,i stayed for everything even after meeting laps,but the fact is most went after the last heat of the main meeting.

• Like 1

Agree BWitcher.Strange turn around

I'd agree with Steve Roberts in that having,if you were a BL track,a sister track did provide a chance to see some of the top up and coming youngsters.At Wimbledon we didn't really have that.Ok a few like Gordon Kennett and Ted Hubbard would appear,but generally our record in the 70s and 80s of bringing youngsters through was fairly poor.We did have the bonus that when a big meeting was held at Wembley some of those overseas riders might turn up for an 'after meeting' run out.Which was then even later than the second half :P We also got an early look at Scott Autrey and Sumner McKnight who appeared in a second half at the start f the '73 season

Like I say,i stayed for everything even after meeting laps,but the fact is most went after the last heat of the main meeting.

Your near neighbours over at 'The Wick' would also have had interesting second halves with sister clubs Rayleigh, later Rye House and Crayford.

Allen Emmett, Geoff Maloney, Tiger Beech, Bobby Garrad, Marvyn Cox etc etc performing their talents (including Peter Purvis and John Noakes!)

As I've stated elsewhere I used to stay on after the main meeting to watch what ever was on offer and a chance to wind down and talk to my mates enjoying a relaxing bag of chips!

Yup! Me too, I stayed until they turned the floodlights off, with riders still on track sometimes!! 😱😱😱😱

Albeit, not riding at the time!!

• Like 2

Yup! Me too, I stayed until they turned the floodlights off, with riders still on track sometimes!!

Albeit, not riding at the time!!

Recall the time when the sadly deceased Wiggy went out and rode around Reading with a torch attached to his helmet when there was a power cut!

How many people who have commented on this thread actually attend meetings?

Do they actually know where the riders learned how to ride or gained experience?

If you do not want to watch don`t, but do not criticize the efforts of everyone who put time and effort into these meetings.

Spot on Secsy.

Remember watching Tai and Josh With at 14/15 in 2nd half demonstration races at Coventry-- seemed worth whatching at the time. More so these last few years.

imo every league match should have a second half of entertainment, be it juniors, or just practice races for the main team

would like to see some sort of match races between team members or riders on the fringes of being in the main team , against current main team reserves etc

the mdl is a great way for tryin to bring thru unknown talent

• Like 3

If theres a second half I'll generally stay at watch it for the first few heats and see how it's panning out. Sometimes the riders are of such a varied standard watching 4 riders ride around and finish 30 metres apart from each other is pointless. But get 6-8 riders of a similar standard and it's worth staying to watch.

I remember seeing the likes of Ben Barker, Jordan Frampton and Kyle Newman in second half and raving about them so I love it when 2 of them went on to ride for Coventry in the EL! And there was a lad a few years ago I saw crash on lap 2 of a second half ride and knew then he was good. He's doing alright for himself now, Robert Lambert.

I find it odd that someone how paying to watch NL speedway has never watched second half racing when his club were EL or PL as the riders you tend to get in an EL second half, certainly until the MDL come along in recent years was often NL level.

Edited by SCB