British Speedway Forum
Shale Searcher

"knowing A Little To Much About Speedway" Spoils It For What It Is....?

Do you think that the hard-core supporters, well some if not most of them/us, know a little to much of our beloved speedway, and this extra knowledge of our sport, can and does spoil our enjoyment, and possible puts newbies off trying to venture in to the murky waters of speedway??

• Like 2

No re new fans, I don’t think they care what other fans think or know.

Yes re certain fans who have supported a while, some over think and over analyse rather than just enjoying it for what it is.

I think you make a good point. I have said for a number years that social media. twitter, forums and google does spoil a lot of sports by knowing and hearing what is allegedly going on in speedway. I am certainly not a dinosaur where technology is concerned but I did like the 'pure' nature of standing on the terraces with only the knowledge of newspaper reports/radio etc. Not sure if it would help new supporters enjoy it more though.

• Like 1

I'm not sure it spoils it by knowing too much. It certainly makes for good debate at times but not always " good debate" so much as mud slinging & written abuse of the poster, in certain cases..

Do you think that the hard-core supporters, well some if not most of them/us, know a little to much of our beloved speedway, and this extra knowledge of our sport, can and does spoil our enjoyment, and possible puts newbies off trying to venture in to the murky waters of speedway??

One of my mates rode for my local club and some of the BS he used to put up with put me right off it for a bit. Thankfully those problems appear to be sorted now and it's just the stupid rules and gash tracks which put me off now!!!

The bad thing about social media is all the armchair experts. The guys who are "in the know", I once had someone tell me about how they'd specifically spoken to a certain rider the day before, how everything was in place and that they knew for certain what was going to be announced within a few days. The fact that the rider was sitting next to me a thousand miles away and had never met the guy never came into it. Also his "expert" predictions were a load of bollocks, ( as most seem to be)

• Like 6

MY biggest problem are fans who call riders "gating tarts " ANYONE who races a s/way bike in anger is anything but a tart believe me !!!

• Like 3

The bad thing about social media is all the armchair experts. The guys who are "in the know", I once had someone tell me about how they'd specifically spoken to a certain rider the day before, how everything was in place and that they knew for certain what was going to be announced within a few days. The fact that the rider was sitting next to me a thousand miles away and had never met the guy never came into it. Also his "expert" predictions were a load of bollocks, ( as most seem to be)

You get a few of those at Swindon who each season claim they know the riders being signed for the team, this is before Rosco does. At the moment we are getting all the crap about what is happening about the new track.

Judging by the posts on here I woukd say the opposite is true. The more knowledgeable fans are, the more balanced they are in their posts and would probably be good to explain things to a newbie but some just seem to want to criticise without bothering to learn about the sport.

We have some posters, notably Aces 51, Skidder 1, and several others who have been around the sport for many years , taken in a lot of knowledge, and generally post with good insight, which would be good conveyed to a newcomer.

At the other end of the scale there are a number that have been around the sport for years and chosen to learn or understand next to nothing about engines, track prep, rules , how averages work etc, etc. These are the ones whose posts are invariably sniping, sneering , moaning, and generally experts in their own eyes. These are the ones who complain riders are not trying when there is often some mechanical issue, or think racing can be improved just by putting a bit of dirt on the track. Imagine a newcomer standing next to one of these know-nothing's and instead of getting a balanced description get a constant dirge of ,"Tracks rubbish, rule books rubbish, he's not trying,sports a joke,T/R ride igives an 8 point advantage, our tracks better than their track, " etc,etc, they'd never be back.

• Like 2

MY biggest problem are fans who call riders "gating tarts " ANYONE who races a s/way bike in anger is anything but a tart believe me !!!

It must blow your mind when someone tell you it's "raining cats and dogs" or they "have a frog in their throat". They're not literal.

It must blow your mind when someone tell you it's "raining cats and dogs" or they "have a frog in their throat". They're not literal.

I've most frequently heard the phrase "gating tart" said in jest when one of your own side's riders has surprisingly made one of his half-dozen decent starts of the season and clung on to win a race!

My comment on another thread about avoiding politics concerned another sport so I just enjoy speedway without delving too deeply so I can continue to enjoy it. After fourteen years I still don't understand who is allowed to ride as a RR and don't care. I thought the use of guests was ridiculous but now realise that others have been banging on about it for ages so I just go with it. Unless it's 3 on both sides :mad:

Re social media. I had a similar experience. My son was being criticised on a forum but the poster thought they would add a bit of spice to it by bringing me into the topic. They said they were standing next to me and my comments backed them up. I was at home. :lol: