British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
zonkers

Centre Green Rule

Excuse me if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but I am back at speedway after an 18 month break - yay! At the Panthers v Witches meeting on bank holiday Monday there was mention of the new rule where riders are not allowed to go onto the centre green any more? Did I hear that correctly? Is this under any circumstances, or just to stop them short-cutting when under a 2 minute warning?

Edited by zonkers

i am prepared to be corrected.. but i think its due to health and safety.. as people are on the centre green

Remember when Trevor Geer, during a second half race at Oxford, lost control and ended up taking out a marshal on the centre green.

Remember when Trevor Geer, during a second half race at Oxford, lost control and ended up taking out a marshal on the centre green.

That sort of thing was scorned upon in those days,but as long as they both enjoyed themselves then I don't see a problem.More recently one or two riders have lost control and got into trouble with the police

• Like 4

I don't know how recent the rule is, but I'm sure I've seen riders cross the centre green this season at Perry Barr.

That sort of thing was scorned upon in those days,but as long as they both enjoyed themselves then I don't see a problem.More recently one or two riders have lost control and got into trouble with the police

I don't think that the marshall enjoyed the experience because, if I recall, he ended up with a broken leg! Poor old Trevor was very distressed by the event but wasn't to blame...it was just a racing accident when he lost control (I think that the starting gate got a clobbering as well!)

I was at an ice racing meeting held at the Soederstadion in Stockholm when one rider's bike suddenly dug deep into the ice and propelled him straight onto the infield where he took out the meeting's promoter.

I think it was an accident.

• Like 1

Ok, the rule is new for this season, the rule is that riders are no longer allowed to "cut across" the centre green as a short cut to the tapes, or I would imagine, cutting across the centre green to get back to the pits or any other location on the track during the meeting.. It had been introduced to prevent injury to track staff, medics, presenters, VIPS, or any other people who might be on the centre green during racing. It also will prevent riders getting tangled up in spare tapes, audio/visual cables, track tools such as rakes/flags/gates/etc...

The 2 minute rule has also been modified to take the above into account as well......

• Like 2

It's actually a surprisingly sensible and seemingly soundly worded change. The only issue is if the refs don't implement the two minute rule correctly, for example masters the other week.

• Like 1

A rider last monday was excluded at Scunthorpe for cutting across centre green to go to tapes. Seems a very sensible rule to me but Mr godferrt wasn't to happy.

It's happened a few times already this season yet managers seemed to be surprised by it when it happens to there riders?

I think it's sensible, amount of time riders leave it too late to come out then dart across centre it's poor time management. Also most of the time they have 30 seconds to go, what you doing, 2 laps? Most time half a lap at most!

Ok, the rule is new for this season, the rule is that riders are no longer allowed to "cut across" the centre green as a short cut to the tapes, or I would imagine, cutting across the centre green to get back to the pits or any other location on the track during the meeting.. It had been introduced to prevent injury to track staff, medics, presenters, VIPS, or any other people who might be on the centre green during racing. It also will prevent riders getting tangled up in spare tapes, audio/visual cables, track tools such as rakes/flags/gates/etc...

The 2 minute rule has also been modified to take the above into account as well......

Thank you. Does the rule also mean that if a bike packs up they are not allowed to park up on the centre green until the end of the race? I noticed twice they didn't on Monday - instead opting to sit just inside the white line, which is not ideal ! :o

Thank you. Does the rule also mean that if a bike packs up they are not allowed to park up on the centre green until the end of the race? I noticed twice they didn't on Monday - instead opting to sit just inside the white line, which is not ideal ! :o

"No motorcycle may be ridden on the infield" is the phrase used.

• Like 1

"No motorcycle may be ridden on the infield" is the phrase used.

If retiring from a race, parking up on the centre green is allowed...

Have seen a few riders when the bikes pack up or the rider is having issues with the bike pull out of the race and ride, slowly, across the grass to park up near the pit gate