British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

Belle Vue V Lakeside 4/6/16

It is being reported on twitter that the stewards are stopping people taking in food, they even took sweets off the posters children. If true this action will stop some people going.

No wonder people wait for a week to get in.

No wonder people wait for a week to get in.

They will have eaten it all by then.

Seriously if they want to search all the bags for food then they will always have delays, especially if everybody starts objecting and arguing the toss.

Edited by A ORLOV

The delay at Belle Vue wasn't down to the promotion messing up either, quite the opposite!

Both times it was due to bigger than expected crowds, the crowd on Monday was 3x what they used to get at the dog track.

The difference between Belle Vue and other promotions is they are doing something about it.

You're very lucky to have promoters that never make a mistake ,

What was the crowd size tonight being a Saturday meeting, and how does it compare to the crowds at the old track?

What was the crowd size tonight being a Saturday meeting, and how does it compare to the crowds at the old track?

Well if Flange walked straight in it couldn't have been that big...

Around 2000-2200 ish I would say...

The Grandstand holds 2k and looked around half full, about 100 on the west terrace and a decent number on the back straight (between 800 and 1000 I would say)..

For a run of the mill 'play off qualifier'!!!®😉 I would say about 1000 more than the old place would have had...

Lots of kids tonight too which can only be good long term...

The match itself was not as good as the Cov one, but that was special, however it was much better than your 'average' meeting..

Great to see a track where a rider can make up several bike lengths of gap on the guy in front just by riding a different line...

It means most races go down to the last bend of the last lap with chances remaining for position changes...

And even if there is no passing in a race, at least you are not filling in the result of the race in your programme when the riders exit turn two, lap one...

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 1

The Grandstand holds 2k and looked around half full, about 100 on the west terrace and a decent number on the back straight (between 800 and 1000 I would say)..

For a run of the mill 'play off qualifier'!!! I would say about 1000 more than the old place would have had...

The match itself was not as good as the Cov one, but that was special, however it was much better than your 'average' meeting..

Great to see a track where a rider can make up several bike lengths of gap on the guy in front just be riding a different line...

It means most races go down to the last bend of the last lap with chances remaining for position changes...

And even if there is no passing in a race, at least you are not filling in the result of the race in your programme when the riders exit turn two, lap one...

Good its now that that club needs to grow. If attendances were of a similar size to last season there would be cause for concern. Glad its all on the up.

Wish the Poole A fixture could be re-arranged.

• Like 1

Once again I got my ticket online and printed it out myself, took me no more than 5 mins in the queue to get in, and yes the security were taking drinks of people going in, no more so than at other sporting venues.

Belle Vue are moving with the times, others will follow.

As for the meeting some were a bit like follow the leader but most races were close with passing, ride of the night though has to go to S Worrall, who once again broke the tapes then went of 15 Mtrs, he led after 3 laps.

Belle Vue were good value for the 3 points, however if AJ had rode as we all expected him to, then the Hammers could of been going home with a point.

For a run of the mill 'play off qualifier'!!!® I would say about 1000 more than the old place would have had...

Great to see a track where a rider can make up several bike lengths of gap on the guy in front just be riding a different line...

Good the hear.BV have struggled for years.Hope you have the best supported club in the league.

• Like 3

Good the hear.BV have struggled for years.Hope you have the best supported club in the league.

When you consider the millions of people that live in the area, they should have crowds far bigger than most other clubs.

When you consider the millions of people that live in the area, they should have crowds far bigger than most other clubs.

Same could be said for so, so many others too Steve...

For a sport that invariably has just one team, and no other allowed, within around 30 miles or so it really does under sell itself

A virtual monopoly of the local conurbations in many areas around the country yet 0.1%, or even much less, of those people who dwell there attend...

Still, on the positive side, it means clubs have a huge potential market on their doorsteps should they ever get the sport marketed right and their own teams brand in the consciousness of the locals.

Edited by mikebv

Another enjoyable match at Belle Vue tonight & another 3 valuable league points for the Aces, against a battling Lakeside Hammers side.

Though not quite as spectacular as the Coventry fixture, there was still plenty of exciting racing on offer, Steve Worrall at the heart of much of it. I almost look forward to him going from 15m handicap now! He has to be a good bet for a rostrum place at the British Final on current home form.

Lakeside contributed plenty, particularly through their reserves with both Bridger & Mear clearly taking a liking to the new track. Nilsson looked quick & a threat all night despite not winning a race. AJ had a bit of a "nearly not quite" sort of meeting, no lack of effort, & no shame in losing to a rejuvenated (& flying) Craig Cook in the later heats either.

Wouldn't be surprised to see these two sides meet again come playoff time.

• Like 3

Same could be said for so, so many others too Steve...

For a sport that invariably has just one team, and no other allowed, within around 30 miles or so it really does under sell itself

A virtual monopoly of the local conurbations in many areas around the country yet 0.1%, or even much less, of those people who dwell there attend.

To be fair though, don't most people with an ankle tag need to be home indoors by 9pm at weekends? ;)
  • Like 3

I

I think Bridger could be the difference, if he scores anything like 15+ it could be very close. If he doesn't ride well then 50-40.

I should have bought a lottery ticket this week. Some good races with plenty of passing although not as many as on Monday. Steve Worrall was exceptional, winning heat 9 easily despite starting 15 metres behind. Cook was also on top form after his first race blip and it was good to see Jacobs get a race win. Zagar was unfortunate to have engine problems when leading and showed his class when picking off Jonsson in heat 13.

Lakeside put up a good fight, none of their riders were dominant but all put in workmanlike performance apart from Kerr who struggled in the 1-5.

It looked to be a good crowd again, about double what we were getting at the dog track. Greater Manchester is a huge conurbation but the problem is the number of other major entertainment attractions available. Hopefully, the excellent facilities and good racing will mean that new fans will be attracted by what they hear and be more likely to come back when they see what is on offer.

Edited by Aces51
  • Like 2

Manchester has a hell of a lot to offer entertainment wise. Just down the road the Etihad Stadium had Coldplay playing. All very well saying big catchment areas but that usually means more competition too.