British Speedway Forum
Sotonian

Rip Dave Gatenby

From Trials Guru website:

Dave Gatenby, former Teeside Tigers speedway star and trials rider died suddenly as a result of a heart attack on Wednesday 1st June, 2016.

He started his riding career in speedway before opening a motorcycle business as Dave Gatenby Motorcycles selling machines and accessories based at Yarm Road, Darlington, supporting many local competitors.

Sad news. I remember him riding for Sunderland (1972?) and for Halifax occasionally.

RIP

Edited by steve roberts

I am very shocked by this.

I watched Dave at Sunderland. I saw him develop in to a very fine Rider both for Sunderland and for Halifax.

He suffered a broken leg and was not the same Rider afterwards.

He was a nice friendly person who will be missed.

Thanks for the memories Dave.

My sincere condolences to his Family and friends.

May he Rest in Peace.

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

Sad news. Rememeber seeing Dave for Halifax in 74-75.

Edited by frigbo

Shocked and saddened by the news. Dave started as a raw novice for the Sunderland Stars in 1971 and quickly progressed to became a heat leader by 1973. A likeable and pleasant lad, a true "Star" for Sunderland Speedway. Fondly remembered by all Sunderland speedway supporters, and thanks for the memories.

Rest In Peace Dave.

Bob and Molly Ferry

• Like 1

Very sorry to hear this- do any forumlanders know old was Dave at the time of his sad passing?

Very sorry to hear this- do any forumlanders know old was Dave at the time of his sad passing?

Would have been 66 next Saturday. Edited by frigbo