British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Should Ex Riders Get Into Speedway Free?

Take all your points, but do you think David Beckham would have to pay to go back to Old Trafford ?

I'm totally with you fella...I think the majority of riders should be let in for free.

If it was rammed and tickets were a premium I'd understand.

But it's not...so let them in I say.

Let them talk to fans. Fill up the wide open spaces as well.

I'd also go as far as letting in all under 16's for free with a paying adult, and all under 18's in education.

• Like 3

If I was handed free entry I'd certainly go more, not sure if 2 seasons of (ahem) conference league racing count but I'll take it if it's going spare haha!

No chance why should ex riders ponce of the system they got paid to do a job so they have already been rewarded why should they be allow to freeload aswell

Think there was a bust up some years back when Robert Barth was German team manager and was told he had to pay to get into a meeting!!!

No chance why should ex riders ponce of the system they got paid to do a job so they have already been rewarded why should they be allow to freeload aswell

So Darcy Ward would have to pay then when he goes back to Poole

Bit strange, asking people to pay, to go back to their old work place, isn't it? ;-)

Surely as a 'Promotor', you would realise the added attraction ex riders bring to your business?

In other sports, promotors have to pay for 'appearance' money to ex professionals...yet ours turn up, mix with the paying public, and some are asked to pay for the privilege...beggars belief when you think about it.

I used to love listening to Malcolm Holloway at Swindon...he often added so much to what we were watching...and sometimes tell people to 'stop being daft' and explain to them why certain situations have happened on track.

Hearing opinions from an ex riders perspective is so much more enjoyable...especially when the put certain fans in their place who don't have a clue ;-)

• Like 6

Bit strange, asking people to pay, to go back to their old work place, isn't it? ;-)

Surely as a 'Promotor', you would realise the added attraction ex riders bring to your business?

Think it depends,like others have said on the quality and length of service.You would I think need to be invited back.Not sure a prime minister can just turn up and walk around 10 Downing St just because they used to work there and not sure just because I used to work on London Buses that I can expect a free ride or a free basket of goodies because I worked at Tesco's for a year or two when I was a student......

Some ex footballers do 'work' meeting and greeting VIPs,but others have to pay to get in.Shock and horror I think even priests have to pay to get into Celtic Park nowadays after decades of it being free for any priest to get in

Clubs could do an ex-riders night though,where anyone who rode for them gets in free and punters know there will be many in attendance.That could be an added attraction,possibly on a night when the visiting team isn't likely to pull in a great crowd

• Like 1

Think it depends,like others have said on the quality and length of service.You would I think need to be invited back.Not sure a prime minister can just turn up and walk around 10 Downing St just because they used to work there and not sure just because I used to work on London Buses that I can expect a free ride or a free basket of goodies because I worked at Tesco's for a year or two when I was a student......

Some ex footballers do 'work' meeting and greeting VIPs,but others have to pay to get in.Shock and horror I think even priests have to pay to get into Celtic Park nowadays after decades of it being free for any priest to get in

Clubs could do an ex-riders night though,where anyone who rode for them gets in free and punters know there will be many in attendance.That could be an added attraction,possibly on a night when the visiting team isn't likely to pull in a great crowd

For sure...I agree with much of that, and did imply what you said in a previous post.

However...when you look at the pro's and con's of letting former riders in for free, who have a history with the club...what negatives are their...apart from losing £20 gate entrance?

If they are not there...you're still £20 down.

They bring an added attraction to the sport surely?

How nice for an announcer to say...'we have former riders such and such here tonight, I'm sure they would be pleased to have a chat and a beer afterwards'. And maybe bring them onto the centre green for an impromptu chat now and again.?

At the moment...all I see, is some rider dragged out, talking about the meeting before, with the likes of 'Oh yeah...fair dinkum mate...boys gave it their all, ripped a few good starts...could do better...throw another prawn on the Barbie mate'...whilst being drowned out by the mascot burning a few laps or two tractors doing their best to take all the dirt off the race line ;-)

I've now had to amuse myself, at betting on which of the fat family can win the race to the Burger bar at the interval....whilst giggling at the announcer as he's muffling his word down the mic, whilst fumbling around in his satchel to find sweets to throw to the winner in the crowd, who got the answer right to this weeks teasing question, as to which rider did what in which year....enthrawling stuff I tell thee...

Rather than...

• Like 1

In other sports, promotors have to pay for 'appearance' money to ex professionals...yet ours turn up, mix with the paying public, and some are asked to pay for the privilege...beggars belief when you think about it.

I used to love listening to Malcolm Holloway at Swindon...he often added so much to what we were watching...and sometimes tell people to 'stop being daft' and explain to them why certain situations have happened on track.

Hearing opinions from an ex riders perspective is so much more enjoyable...especially when the put certain fans in their place who don't have a clue ;-)

Been to a meeting once at Reading in 2004? And sat at the bar with M Holloway. He was better entertainment than the meeting.
  • Like 6

Not right to give out names and I won't

Pretty certain I can back that up,If it's the same guy I know of he wasn't injured at his home track but up at one nearby but still...I find it terrible that he was told that...

btw no names,not right to,just felt it needed confirming this happens

Edited by Gearhead
  • Like 1

An interesting topic of conversation. I'm not sure if there is any standard policy of allowing ex-players into rugby league matches, but my local rugby league club at Whitehaven do have a policy of allowing their ex-players in for free.

If I was a promoter as I nearly did in 1989 I would let all riders in who rode for me but riders from previous promotions would mean nothing to me and should pay. Only possible exception would be riders who had exceptional service for the club like long service or champions

• Like 1

This is a subject dear to our heart at Retro Speedway and we may well launch an appeal on behalf of ex-riders for them to be admitted free to British tracks.

The World Speedway Riders' Association is in dialogue with the BSPA on this.

We share Gresham's previous comments.

Edited by tmc
  • Like 4

I have supported Kings Lynn for 45 years and I have to pay to get in. So ex riders should do the same unless they are invited by the promotion or helping out in the pits. There are enough hangers on at Lynn in the pits that don't pay and don't contribute anything to the meeting.

• Like 3

This is a subject dear to our heart at Retro Speedway and we may well launch an appeal on behalf of ex-riders for them to be admitted free to British tracks.

The World Speedway Riders' Association is in dialogue with the BSPA on this.

We share Gresham's previous comments.

But the riders get in free. They just choose not to