British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Should Ex Riders Get Into Speedway Free?

Berwick's scheme is good, as stated - and I'm pretty certain it will actually bring a few extra people through the turnstiles from the amount of people I've spoken to who plan on using the scheme at some point (taking 2 or three friends at a time).

• Like 1

If you were a promoter, would you really want to admit the vitriol spewing Robert72 on the grounds he rode a handful of fixtures 20 years ago?

I see tmcs very well articulated argument, but are 99% of ex riders really unable to afford to attend? Why are they so less able to afford it than your average member of the population.

Personally I still think it should be down to individual promoters, but would agree that if someone like Peter Collins was made to pay to attend the nss then it is a travesty.

Have you ever rode a speedway bike competitively ?

how can you say I only rode a handful of times ? So funny

Several promoters I chat too agree with me so yes they are happy I attend, I think your lacking inside knowledge and understanding of what's wrong deep inside the sport.

I am pleased Berwick promoters have done that at the club and hope the rest follow.

Tnc what an excellent post, your right football clubs look after ex players, only a few speedway clubs look after ex riders, things need to change for the respect of riders who raced for teams at any level.

• Like 1

Have you ever rode a speedway bike competitively ?

how can you say I only rode a handful of times ? So funny

Several promoters I chat too agree with me so yes they are happy I attend, I think your lacking inside knowledge and understanding of what's wrong deep inside the sport.

I am pleased Berwick promoters have done that at the club and hope the rest follow.

Tnc what an excellent post, your right football clubs look after ex players, only a few speedway clubs look after ex riders, things need to change for the respect of riders who raced for teams at any level.

Says the knob who at every opportunity has a go against riders such as Tai, and the injured Darcy Ward. You really are a dross person, who i would not like to be given privilege admission to any speedway.

• Like 4

Says the knob who at every opportunity has a go against riders such as Tai, and the injured Darcy Ward. You really are a dross person, who i would not like to be given privilege admission to any speedway.

nice insult towards me that sums you up.

Tai, turned his back on British speedway/British final we should turn our back on tai.

Darcy I feel sad he was seriously injured but continuelly collecting for a rider who can afford to buy a nice home on the Gold Coast is wrong when many British wheelchair riders struggle.

You are clueless on what's right for British speedway moving forward.

Like I said All clubs should allow ex riders in for free like they do ex footballers.

Does Newcastle allow ex riders in for free ?

why should you expect to get in for free rob72? I assume you were paid for your services at the time of riding? I would guess its up to the promoters discretion?

why should you expect to get in for free rob72? I assume you were paid for your services at the time of riding? I would guess its up to the promoters discretion?

I just think it's respect of those who raced.

There are far more good reasons for giving out life time season tickets to ex riders than not, the huge PR benefit it brings for speedway.

Like I said football teams are proud they look after ex players why not speedway ?

Been to a meeting once at Reading in 2004? And sat at the bar with M Holloway. He was better entertainment than the meeting.

Wellie was part of the Management Team at Reading then, so not an ex rider getting in for free. He was one of a kind of course who could probably of got away with charging promoters for his attendance at their stadium for his entertainment value.

I like the idea of an 'ex riders pass' with subs from which going to the Ben Fund. Even with this though, there needs to be some qualifying criteria such as 5 years services to British/National or EL/PL or a career ending injury sustained on track.

Of course you'd never expect the likes of Rickardsson, Ward, Hancock etc to pay to get into any stadium as the likelyhood is if they did attend a UK meeting they'd be publically interviewed during the meeting and adding to the entertainment value in that way.

In contradiction of most of what's been said on previous pages, let it be known that Berwick Speedway announced some time ago that every living ex-Bandit, even if they only raced one official match, can get a lifetime free pass to meetings at Shielfield Park.

All they need to do is contact the promotion -- at club@berwickbandits.co -- and give their name and current address. Their lifetime free pass is mailed out the next day.

"If a guy has risked his life while entertaining our public at any time over the past 49 years, that's good enough for us" was the club's statement when the list of over 250 living ex-Bandits was published.

So please don't include the Berwick promotion in any criticism being levelled at clubs not honouring past heroes.

Well done, Berwick - great to see them leading the way. I was very impressed with their set-up when I paid my first visit there last year.

It would be good to view that list of 250 living ex-Bandits, for possible inclusion in any future piece we may write on the subject. Can you please point us in the right direction...

Cheers,

Tony Mac

Well done, Berwick - great to see them leading the way. I was very impressed with their set-up when I paid my first visit there last year.

It would be good to view that list of 250 living ex-Bandits, for possible inclusion in any future piece we may write on the subject. Can you please point us in the right direction...

Cheers,

Tony Mac

https://www.facebook.com/BerwickSpeedway/posts/551215648394112

Robert72.................I just think it's respect of those who raced.

There are far more good reasons for giving out life time season tickets to ex riders than not, the huge PR benefit it brings for speedway.

So you would expect to get in free because you were once a Speedway rider? Others have said a well known one would be good P.R by chatting to fans etc., but I wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of recognising you or indeed many others who are now in their 50's or 60's. I saw a recent photo of Bruce Penhall the other day and would never have known it was him as he has changed so much from the blonde bombshell of the 1980's. I suppose in your case I'd just have to wait until you moaned about people taking dogs to Speedway tracks then I'd know it was the famous Robert Homer ~ 1972 version. :lol:

• Like 2

I think ex-Grasstrack riders should get in for free! :o

So you would expect to get in free because you were once a Speedway rider? Others have said a well known one would be good P.R by chatting to fans etc., but I wouldn't have a cat in hell's chance of recognising you or indeed many others who are now in their 50's or 60's. I saw a recent photo of Bruce Penhall the other day and would never have known it was him as he has changed so much from the blonde bombshell of the 1980's. I suppose in your case I'd just have to wait until you moaned about people taking dogs to Speedway tracks then I'd know it was the famous Robert Homer ~ 1972 version. :lol:

I remember being at the Gelsenkirchen GP(the one that was raced) and a german journalist asked me what Freddie Williams looked like,if I recognised him,and I had to say I had no idea as I had only seen photos of him from the 50s and 60s and Freddie was far better known than Rob Homer :P

Edited by iris123

Wellie was part of the Management Team at Reading then, so not an ex rider getting in for free. He was one of a kind of course who could probably of got away with charging promoters for his attendance at their stadium for his entertainment value.

I like the idea of an 'ex riders pass' with subs from which going to the Ben Fund. Even with this though, there needs to be some qualifying criteria such as 5 years services to British/National or EL/PL or a career ending injury sustained on track.

Of course you'd never expect the likes of Rickardsson, Ward, Hancock etc to pay to get into any stadium as the likelyhood is if they did attend a UK meeting they'd be publically interviewed during the meeting and adding to the entertainment value in that way.

That rules Leigh Adams out then,

However it's ok for those who have made millions from the sport to come in for free but those who have paid thousands and made nothing have to pay.

I think a £50 season ticket to all tracks for riders who have rode over a 3 year period and the money going to the Ben fund would be a worthwhile idea.

• Like 1

I once picked up Billy Hamill at an airport and drove him to an Elite League meeting where he was refused admission at the car park gate, having forgotten his rider pass. He was allowed in as a 'plus one' on my press pass. Just as well, given he was riding in the match...

• Like 1

Like I said football teams are proud they look after ex players why not speedway ?

Sorry that's simply not true, at least in the top flight - a good friend of mine had a career in the premier league, playing for my team Arsenal among others in the top flight and he most certainly does NOT get in free in the normal sense at any of his clubs.

If he's requested by the club to do some corporate, ex player / commentary stuff he of course gets in free, but ad-hoc, he most certainly does not.

Same happens all round the country.

Anyway, off to work..