British Speedway Forum
Grachan

Should Ex Riders Get Into Speedway Free?

if speedway was a BIG sport, the pr argument might just be taken into account. unless your a keen fan, lots of people wouldnt reconise a speedway rider with his helmet off, let alone in normal clothes!

Edited by ColinMills

No, I don't think they should, unless they have a role at that meeting e.g. advertised as photo opportunity or signing autographs etc. Not simply just to hang around the pits. This is not being mean but if a professional rider they will have been paid to ride unlike all the supporters and free entry should stop once they stop riding. This is for general admission - it may be that for a long serving rider one club may give them free entry and I don't mind that.

Berwick promotion Well Done for looking after those who wore your colours, Total respect.

Be interesting to see which teams follow them.

• Like 1

I think basically it has to be up to the individual clubs and I wouldn't criticise them either way. I don't think it desirable or practical to give free entry to anyone who ever threw a leg over a machine and once you arrive at that stance, where can you possibly draw the line? Club legend? Stalwart? One solid season? Fan favourite? It would be a wisdom of Solomon call.

Going back a year or two at Wolves, I was amused to see a visiting couple from abroad head for the pits during the open session before a match and make a bee line to their hero for an autograph and a chat, which he conducted very graciously and with evident pleasure. But that's (machine examiner) Alan Grahame for you.

You smiled and said hello to me before in passing, I thought there's that dog woman :) hehe

That's the trouble with me I'm too friendly. :lol:

An interesting topic of conversation. I'm not sure if there is any standard policy of allowing ex-players into rugby league matches, but my local rugby league club at Whitehaven do have a policy of allowing their ex-players in for free.

More freeloading jam eaters!

Edit: Little West Cumbrian in joke there, apologies to anyone puzzled.

Edited by Fourentee
  • Like 1

Berwick promotion Well Done for looking after those who wore your colours, Total respect.

im still waiting for the answer to the Leigh Adams question.

Maybe it's being done alphabetically, first Belle Vue then Berwick.....

Lol.

• Like 2

Coventry next then. They like to do things in alphabetical order, especially the team in an effort to stop us printing our own programme. :lol:

Edited by Gemini

Coventry next then. They like to do things in alphabetical order, especially the team in an effort to stop us printing our own programme. :lol:

How can they stop you printing a blank race sheet ?

Riders are mercanaries who get paid to do a job why on earth should they get freebies, my first job was in tesco so i should get free shopping by this logic

Riders are mercanaries who get paid to do a job why on earth should they get freebies, my first job was in tesco so i should get free shopping by this logic

Riders are mercanaries who get paid to do a job why on earth should they get freebies, my first job was in tesco so i should get free shopping by this logic Riders are mercanaries who get paid to do a job why on earth should they get freebies, my first job was in tesco so i should get free shopping by this logic

That's why I know you have never raced competitively as your clueless.

That's why I know you have never raced competitively as your clueless.

Can i ask what your career average was in speedway Robert ?

Can i ask what your career average was in speedway Robert ?

Obviously didn't make a fortune out of the sport, although he's still to put up who he actually is and what he actually achieved, offering £50 towards the Ben Fund for a season long entry pass to any stadium in the country, that would equate to what 2 and a bit full admission costs for an EL meeting, maybe 3 PL meetings.

Expect he'd want a free programme too!

Obviously didn't make a fortune out of the sport, although he's still to put up who he actually is and what he actually achieved, offering £50 towards the Ben Fund for a season long entry pass to any stadium in the country, that would equate to what 2 and a bit full admission costs for an EL meeting, maybe 3 PL meetings.

Expect he'd want a free programme too!

Well thought out Sherlock, hardly any British riders make a fortune, most end up in debt, you have no idea.

How many races did you win wackie ? Lol