British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
steve roberts

Rebel With A Cause!

Now having the hindsight of his Leicester (not his World Final!) performances a season later, they probably dodged a bullet with Rembas!

Probably so, but the PZM contributed to a shocking season at the Wick.

I'd moved tom the midlands that year and went back on the Cradley coach - 25-53 home defeat.

Probably so, but the PZM contributed to a shocking season at the Wick.

I'd moved tom the midlands that year and went back on the Cradley coach - 25-53 home defeat.

It says something about the speedway community that you can do that.

In 1983 I was in a similar position as a Reading supporter exiled in Leicester and travelled from Smallmead back home on a Leicester coach.

• Like 1

Interesting article in the latest 'Backtrack' magazine where Dag Lovaas has put his support to the saving of Oxford Stadium

"When I came to England, Oxford soon became my favourite track. I always wanted to ride for Oxford and I worked hard to get a place with the Rebels. In 1975 my wish came true and I was more than happy, the fans were great, the place had a great atmosphere, and the location was perfect. I have such good memories from Oxford; I broke a long standing track record, Oxford won their first trophy in over 10 years, it was a definite high point in my career.

I hope the stadium will be saved, I'll be there for sure at the first meeting - the stadium holds so many memories".

Let's hope that his wish may become a reality!

Dag Lovass must have been the last top rider to use a JAP ?

• Like 1

It says something about the speedway community that you can do that.

In 1983 I was in a similar position as a Reading supporter exiled in Leicester and travelled from Smallmead back home on a Leicester coach.

Well I was a Rye House fan so well off the Heathens' radar ;-).

I'll never forget a trip to Swindon with the cries of "When the red red robin goes bob bob bobbing along.....shoot the b........, shot the b........, kill kill KILL!"

And that was only on the coach.

Edited by rmc
  • Like 1

Hi Steve Roberts, long time no see! You wouldn't know, living in York, that the Dag Lovaas page in the Backtrack to which you refer has been one of a series of full page adverts that have appeared in the Oxford Mail over recent months, sponsored by local companies. Spencer Timmo has been very prominent in doing this along with others associated with the Save Oxford Stadium project. The pages have created a lot of interest for local speedway fans with Hans Nielsen featured in one of them, the Isle of Wight team in another and a page featuring all the Oxford race jacket designs from 1949, amongst others. The Mail claims an over 58,000 circulation but we're having to be very patient for any decisive news.

Edited by Richard Tyrrell
  • Like 2

Hi Steve Roberts, long time no see! You wouldn't know, living in York, that the Dag Lovaas page in the Backtrack to which you refer has been one of a series of full page adverts that have appeared in the Oxford Mail over recent months, sponsored by local companies. Spencer Timmo has been very prominent in doing this along with others associated with the Save Oxford Stadium project. The pages have created a lot of interest for local speedway fans with Hans Nielsen featured in one of them, the Isle of Wight team in another and a page featuring all the Oxford race jacket designs from 1949, amongst others. The Mail claims an over 58,000 circulation but we're having to be very patient for any decisive news.

The last certified ABC figure was 16,569. Papers usually claim that several people read each copy.

Nevertheless it's very impressive that they are helping in this way so it would be impolite to publicly challenge such a figure :wink:

We need Oxford back - an excellent speedway track.

Good luck with that. Oxford was one of my favourite circuits to visit. Hope it goes well.

On a small point of order you appear to have mistaken the circulation figure by a factor of five. http://www.abc.org.uk/Products-Services/Product-Page/?tid=20917

The last certified ABC figure was 16,569. Papers usually claim that several people read each copy.

Nevertheless it's very impressive that they are helping in this way so it would be impolite to publicly challenge such a figure :wink:

We need Oxford back - an excellent speedway track.

See above!

To be fair to Hackney, they were being messed about by the PZM who delayed and then refused Zenon Plech start permission and then his intended replacement, Jerzy Rembas.

Back then we put the PZM's awkwardness down to the country being Communist. Sadly recent history has proved that it lay far deeper than that!

Yea, Rembas ended up at Leicester as well as I recall! I think he was hot/cold/cold/cold/hot type rider, I seem to rember him winning some races.. We had quite a few Poles in the mid to late 70's, the best of the rest being Andrez Husczka.. He held the track record at Blackbird Rd for around 2 races, before Les Collins reclaimed it!! Incredible meeting, think track record was broken 3 maybe 4 times that night... It was a Tuesday night after a day of thunderstorms, and after a Saturday Stock Car Meeting!!!! Can't remember the opposition though....

Greetings Richard!

Yes indeed it's been a while now since I left the 'Dreaming Spires of Oxford!'

I sincerely hope that Cowley Stadium can be saved and prosper. The good people of Oxford deserve that!

Haven't been to a meeting since I left but have taken in a couple of Grasstrack events since I emigrated 'Up North!'

Best wishes.

OK folks, I stand corrected. I know you shouldn't believe all you read in the papers but I'm a simple soul and was posting from memory. Today's Oxford Mail actually says "Read by 53,233 people in print and online every day" so, yes, I was wrong. Even that figure seems to have reduced by around 5,000. The speedway pages as mentioned have all been sponsored by local businesses and serve at least to keep what has been a regular reminder of the good days to the fore and, hopefully, the good days to come.

OK folks, I stand corrected. I know you shouldn't believe all you read in the papers but I'm a simple soul and was posting from memory. Today's Oxford Mail actually says "Read by 53,233 people in print and online every day" so, yes, I was wrong. Even that figure seems to have reduced by around 5,000. The speedway pages as mentioned have all been sponsored by local businesses and serve at least to keep what has been a regular reminder of the good days to the fore and, hopefully, the good days to come.

Not a problem, it's a common tactic by papers to take their official, audited sales figure and to say, "Well about three people read each copy". The key thing is they're fighting for us.

• Like 1