British Speedway Forum
steve roberts

Todd Wiltshire Interview

What edition of backtrack is this interview in please May/June?

Issue Number 74. May/June addition just out.

Fascinating interview in the latest 'Backtrack' with Todd.

He explains in detail how his bikes were set up to get him out of the gate quickly ('Fastest alive over the first twenty-five') but were not the fastest motors when once, hopefully, in front. I know that I'll probably upset Rob (author of the piece) but I was never personally that impressed with Todd although he gave great service to 'The Cheetahs' over the years. He was just too one paced for my liking (maybe explained by his motor set up?) and would be passed with ease on occasions.

Now for the backlash!

Steve, no backlash since you're entitled to your opinion, and if you find the interview "fascinating", then I've done my job properly and not been too 'star struck' when speaking to one of my latter-day heroes.

However, I would contest that Todd could be passed with ease. I remember him being anything but easy to pass, because of his trackcraft. For example, when they experimented with the six-lap Heat 15 (in 1999, I think it was), it came down to a last-heat decider and Todd kept Tony Rickardsson at bay for six laps, with Rickardsson up his exhaust pipe, but given no chance to get through.

As The Doctor has mentioned, Oxford got the 'safety first' version of Todd, although that version in itself was still a tremendous rider.

All the best

Rob

• Like 3

I think the fact that Todd was able to come back after 7/8?? years out of the sport and become a star of it again is testament in itself to what a special kind of rider he was.

• Like 4

Enjoyed the anecdote about the end of his time at Oxford and the actions of Colin Horton and Aaron Lanney.

Was a Plough Lane regular during Todd's time there and it was no surprise he got on a World Final rostrum. Guess we'll never know how good he would have been because the injury stopped him riding for so many years.

In reply to a poster on the previous page whilst Dave Lanning called Toddy the "fastest alive over the first 25", it was very much "Rip Snortin'" Ray Morton!

• Like 1

In reply to a poster on the previous page whilst Dave Lanning called Toddy the "fastest alive over the first 25", it was very much "Rip Snortin'" Ray Morton!

At Hull, in 1996 & 1999, we knew him as Ripper Morton or simply The Ripper. Only scanned the Todd Wiltshire interview but Backtrack is a great read and I will set time aside to digest it from cover to cover as always....

Enjoyed the anecdote about the end of his time at Oxford and the actions of Colin Horton and Aaron Lanney.

Was a Plough Lane regular during Todd's time there and it was no surprise he got on a World Final rostrum. Guess we'll never know how good he would have been because the injury stopped him riding for so many years.

Yes it was a shame that Todd's Oxford career ended the way it did with the episode at Poole. After the service he gave to Oxford the actions of both Horton and Lanney seemed to be very disrespectful and unprofessional (not knowing the full facts of course but based on Todd's version of events)

Apparently bikes that had been promised to Todd (based on performance and points scored over the season) were quickly removed after the last meeting by said two and in Todd's words "Lanney had reneged on the deal". Todd took off his Oxford race suit and left it on the floor in the pits and hasn't spoken to either since.

Edited by steve roberts

Was a Plough Lane regular during Todd's time there and it was no surprise he got on a World Final rostrum. Guess we'll never know how good he would have been because the injury stopped him riding for so many years.!

So was I and it was one of the frustrations of being a Dons fan seeing Todd move on.We didn't really have too many great 'finds' over the years and it was disappointing to see both Todd and Kelvin move on after such a short period of time.But being a Millwall supporter I was used to that sort of thing happening :P

I never saw Todd Mk1, only the guy who returned from a horrific injury after may years away. To think that was a "lesser" version of the man means I regret so much never seeing (or at least remembering seeing) the original. We all know he could gate but I certainly never had him down as a "gating tart" and I don't remember him being picked off that often. OK certainly not the fastest rider in the World but fast enough as I remember watching him hold off a number of great riders.

I've no idea if there is a DVD available of the meeting but Oxford vs Coventry in 2006 not long after Todds second come back. Heat 15 was a phenomenal race with Scott Nicholls and Todd Wiltshire riding literally inches from each other for the whole 4 laps. No actual pass but at no time would you have wanted to call the winner. Thats what Todd was good at, a good, safe, fair race and inch perfect precision.

One of my favourites, even if he wasn't flamboyant, wild or exactly Mr Excitement.

Issue Number 74. May/June addition just out.

Does anyone have a link / suggestions of best place to get hold of a copy? Retro speedway website only has issue 73 listed at present?

So was I and it was one of the frustrations of being a Dons fan seeing Todd move on.We didn't really have too many great 'finds' over the years and it was disappointing to see both Todd and Kelvin move on after such a short period of time.But being a Millwall supporter I was used to that sort of thing happening :P

If the Don's weren't going to move up, he had to move on. I mean come on, he went from reserve to heat leader within in few weeks after his British League debut in 1990. Best £20k Pat Bliss ever spent :)

• Like 2

Does anyone have a link / suggestions of best place to get hold of a copy? Retro speedway website only has issue 73 listed at present?

Phone 01708 734502 and you'll be able to order a copy from Susie McDonald.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

I enjoyed watching Todd ride at Oxford but remember a few years ago posting on the Oxford website that is was obvious when he was riding in a Grand Prix at the weekend. His performances in those weeks were below his usual standard and I said that maybe he was saving his best bikes for the GP. His then wife replied on the site and I was well put down!

I enjoyed reading Rob's latest article on Todd, Rob has certainly come on in the speedway journalism department!

The one question that remained for me, having read the article, was why did Lanney and Horton hang around to make so sure the bikes were removed so suddenly at the end of the Poole meeting? An unexplained mystery?

I remember he was one of the few riders capable of giving hans a good hiding at cowley,he was electric out the starts

consistently fast starter, remember the first time i saw him in early 1990,

he wasnt that easy to pass , quik out the gate ,but he wasnt slow during the race