British Speedway Forum

Great effort from the Comets to get runner's up spot, only able to follow about half a dozen races on Updates before I set off for work and it wasn't looking too good then so yeah, done very well after that, considering we've hardly ridden anywhere as a team over the last 6/7wks I'm proud of them!! :t:

Disappointing to put all that effort in tho and get nothing to show for it, prizes for the winner's only, that's pathetic and should not happen, on the podium, reward, end of, no wonder so many weren't that bothered once the lack of prizes/funds for the riders were revealed?

Bit of a shame that as you would think after all this time a workable format for "all aspects" of this event would be in place by now, it reads, by a lot of these previous posts, that the racing over the weekend was of a very good standard so why spoil it by offering no rewards for top "three" in the final and not offering enough in general to cover riders costs to even be there, very strange? :unsure:

• Like 1

Great effort from the Comets to get runner's up spot, only able to follow about half a dozen races on Updates before I set off for work and it wasn't looking too good then so yeah, done very well after that, considering we've hardly ridden anywhere as a team over the last 6/7wks I'm proud of them!! :t:

Disappointing to put all that effort in tho and get nothing to show for it, prizes for the winner's only, that's pathetic and should not happen, on the podium, reward, end of, no wonder so many weren't that bothered once the lack of prizes/funds for the riders were revealed?

Bit of a shame that as you would think after all this time a workable format for "all aspects" of this event would be in place by now, it reads, by a lot of these previous posts, that the racing over the weekend was of a very good standard so why spoil it by offering no rewards for top "three" in the final and not offering enough in general to cover riders costs to even be there, very strange? :unsure:

Stop whingeing, it was a fantastic weekend's racing.

All the best

Rob

• Like 2

Let's face it, who keeps a second and third place medal, they just gather dust and sure no rider is interested in them at all.

I would think that the pay rates were based on nobody having a clue how many would turn up and watch and not wanting to have a stonking loss on their hands. Crowd looked pretty decent to me, and judging by how many enjoyed it, would have thought it can only grow from here on.

This should then make the pay rates higher for next year, now they have a base figure to work with. To be fair, I would say less than a handful of riders looked to be giving less than 100% so credit to the majority for the mega effort they made.

We all rightfully have a pop at the BSPA when they cock it up on a regular basis, but should now give them credit for the weekend, certainly one of the best I have ever had watching the sport for 40 odd years.

There are lessons to be learned, but overall I thought it was a brilliant success.

• Like 7

I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.I think most Panthers supporters would agree it would have been more enjoyable if we had not been seeded,although it was still entertaining Saturday as a neutral.

Credit to the riders that put the effort in, on such low pay, thanks to all the volunteers and staff who worked tirelessly in the heat it wouldn't happen without you..or the fans who turned out in numbers to enjoy themselves.

It was the 'Speedway Family' at its very best.

• Like 2

I would think that the pay rates were based on nobody having a clue how many would turn up and watch and not wanting to have a stonking loss on their hands. Crowd looked pretty decent to me, and judging by how many enjoyed it, would have thought it can only grow from here on.

This should then make the pay rates higher for next year, now they have a base figure to work with. To be fair, I would say less than a handful of riders looked to be giving less than 100% so credit to the majority for the mega effort they made.

We all rightfully have a pop at the BSPA when they cock it up on a regular basis, but should now give them credit for the weekend, certainly one of the best I have ever had watching the sport for 40 odd years.

There are lessons to be learned, but overall I thought it was a brilliant success.

Is there not a Standard Pay rate for PL riders irrespective of what the riders actually negotiate with the clubs?

They'll be dancing in the streets of Plymouth tonight.

Had a great night celebrating on the Plymouth Hoe. Sadly she had to leave just after midnight to find some more punters.

Fantastic day's racing, only surpassed by the quality of plastic forks at the fish and chip van.

Sad to hear from the bloke on the centre green about the 101 year old man who was taken ill. Hopefully he's OK.

• Like 1

Post #181 revealed 1st amount of £106 but later on £160 & £163 were mentioned.

Whichever one of these three rates is correct, wasn't it just a guarantee. Wasn't there points money as well ( which for Premier League is around £50 - £70 a point., so I am told)

We was told camping was £20 but if you wanted to be hooked up to electric that was a staggering £50.

If only you knew what the electric is like at the showground!
  • Like 1

Well said. Also many people say the BSPA should support/sponsor the youngsters perhaps some of the undoubted profit from the weekend will be channeled into that.

To run the three semi-finals concurrently would leave too long a gap between an individual rider's heats. For example Aaron Summers (No2 in red in the first semi) raced in Heats 2 and 8, if the semis had run concurrently he would have ridden in Heats 4 & 22.

It also keeps the anticipation alive, would the excitement of the finale of the first semi been as high had Heats 11 & 12 actually been Heats 31 and 34?

when the 4s were run @ worky , they had another large pit area to fit in the extra people/bikes .

maybe there wasnt enough space at the showground .

a long wait for some fans to see their team and the ones that didnt qualify had to sit out the meeting till the last few races . the interest could have been there right till the end .

but , it is what it is .

when the 4s were run @ worky , they had another large pit area to fit in the extra people/bikes .

maybe there wasnt enough space at the showground .

a long wait for some fans to see their team and the ones that didnt qualify had to sit out the meeting till the last few races . the interest could have been there right till the end .

but , it is what it is .

How many teams then? Edited by Shads

after having a look at past 4s meetings 2009 @ worky . there were 12 teams in the semi,s . 5 in each team . semis run concurrently . worky had the ability to add an extra large pit area . not sure how big the pits are @ borrow . so there were 4 pit stables left over . i agree , not enough to bring in another 2 , 5 man teams . but i would have though Peterborough could have made room near by . no argument , just wondering why a showground cant make an effort to accommodate the full teams racing . or did they ask for it to be run as the formula as last Saturday ?

Had a great night celebrating on the Plymouth Hoe. Sadly she had to leave just after midnight to find some more punters.

Fantastic day's racing, only surpassed by the quality of plastic forks at the fish and chip van.

Sad to hear from the bloke on the centre green about the 101 year old man who was taken ill. Hopefully he's OK.

I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking that it's important to have good quality plastic cutlery with your fish and chips. I was thinking of keeping hold of my fork from yesterday, taking it with me the next time I visit Rye House and showing it to that penky looking guy in the suit.

after having a look at past 4s meetings 2009 @ worky . there were 12 teams in the semi,s . 5 in each team . semis run concurrently . worky had the ability to add an extra large pit area . not sure how big the pits are @ borrow . so there were 4 pit stables left over . i agree , not enough to bring in another 2 , 5 man teams . but i would have though Peterborough could have made room near by . no argument , just wondering why a showground cant make an effort to accommodate the full teams racing . or did they ask for it to be run as the formula as last Saturday ?

Jenga, there were only 8 teams in it when it was held at Worky. Two semis and a final - a total of 28 races. I went to a couple of the meetings. I remember the one Moggo for Worky in his final race before his retirement.

Peterborough's pits are massive for the fours - they extend them with extra roofing. I think the choice to run the semis one after the other was more to do with the confusion of running three meetings at once. Two semis at a time was OK, I'm not sure if three would be.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam
  • Like 3