British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
splott

history of coventry bees

:?:can anyone help me - i am looking for any history regarding the bees - having trouble finding any info out. someon please help :?:

Never sen one, but a good idea if there is a Bees fan who is a club historian. One of speedway's longest standing and traditional clubs deserves a history written.

Did the local Coventry paper not do a history on the Bees a couple of years ago in instalments?

Over to Gem/Steve Turner/Fd/Full Throttle etc etc....

Not me Lioness.

I know nothing, living 25 miles away. :?

If anyone wants to do it I am sure Tempus will be more than happy to publish it.

Did the local Coventry paper not do a history on the Bees a couple of years ago in instalments?

They did publish an A-Z of riders which was later republished on the official website. A summary of this still exists there, although they've removed the short paragraph which accompanied each entry for some reason.

A to Z of Bees Riders 1929-2002

There is also some personal recollections.

Memory Lane

So ner ner ner ner ner to you Steve Turner! AND I knew about it from 400 miles away lol :P

A guy called Dave Robottom was considered the "Coventry Historian" in the 70s and might have produced something.

I think he used help compiling the stats for the Coventry prog also.

Veering slightly off-topic here but during Sky's coverage of the Poole v Bees match I am sure I noticed Jimmy McMillan in the pits - can anyone confirm please

Think he helps Billy Hamill in the pits, Ian.

(If this is wrong it was my husbands suggestion.) ;-)

(If this is wrong it was my husbands suggestion.) ;-)

But if you're right, it was your idea, eh?

Veering slightly off-topic here but during Sky's coverage of the Poole v Bees match I am sure I noticed Jimmy McMillan in the pits - can anyone confirm please

Jimmy Mac is the Machine examiner at Brandon

:?:can anyone help me - i am looking for any history regarding the bees - having trouble finding any info out. someon please help :?:

Now what do you need to know exactly. I did some stuff myself before I left UK and keep it on file. Called it the History of Brandon. Was going to produce a video with a lot of old clips too. Ask Away and I'll try and help from memory as the file on floppy disk was done with Windows 'works' on Windows 95 and can't damn well open it on 'Word' - But I have a fair memory!

History of Brandon Part One - 1928 - 1933 the pre war days

Over 3,000 fans braved the elements of a rainy day to witness the first ever meeting at Brandon Stadium. The date, Saturday 29th September.

The track was officially declared open by Mrs. Glanfield, wife of the Managing Director of Motordromes Ltd.

The newly built Stadium, was constructed largely by Black Ash and Cinders transported by horse and cart from Rowleys Green Gas works by Tom Bell of Smorrall Lane , Bedworth. Some evidence of which can still be found at the Stadium today, mainly in the Car Park and at the top of the terraces on the Coventry bend.

The first meeting consisted of a full programme of open events and the Star of the show was the legendary JACK PARKER.

Riding on a B.S.A. machine, Jack just about “cleaned up” winning his heat and the Grand Final of the main event. The Open Scratch race.

With George Povey of Birmingham 2nd and Australian Jack Bishop 3rd.Jack set up a new “lap” record then after Freddie Hore set up a new four lap record, he promptly knocked two whole seconds off that time...

Just to round of the proceedings Jack took on Welsh Champion Taffy Williams in a match race and won that too.There were handicap heats too with plenty of passing to thrill the crowd, with the main Handicap event being won by Midlands favourite at the time, Wally Lloyd. Later to become the Perry Barr skipper.

A week later the first Floodlit meeting was staged at Brandon. Again it was Jack Parker who was successful in the Scratch Race Final, this time ahead of Hall Green’s Billy DallisonLEW LANCASTER, who was to go on and give Coventry great service in the following years, won the Brandon Handicap on a Rudge and beat Freddie Hore in a Match Race.

In 1929 the emergence of a Coventry side occurred, and they became one of the founder members of the Southern League.

This competition was dominated by side’s from the Capital, with only Birmingham, Southampton and Coventry being based outside the Metropolis.

In May 1929 the Coventry Team went into action for the very first time, taking a hammering at West Ham and then losing their first Home match to Hall Green (Birmingham) by 19-23. in a six heat contest.

The club colours were not the famous Gold (Yellow) & Black in those far off days but, Red and Green.!!!

Wilmot Evans topped the score chart, with Lew Lancaster offering good support. The “star” men were considered to be too good in these early days and were not allowed in team matches, hence no Jack Parker.!However, the authorities relented eventually, and under Jack the Coventry team settled down to become one of the major contenders for the League title.

Eventually, after a close fight, they ended up in third place, only six points behind the Champions, Stamford Bridge.

Apart from Jack, other prominent members of the side were, Jack’s brother, NORMAN PARKER and FRED WILKINSON.A very young TOM FARNDON progressed from novice too heat leader by the end of the season. Others adding support were, GEORGE ALLBROOK, WILMOT EVANS, DILLY GITTINS, BUNNY WILCOX and the improving BILL STANLEY.

The team were doing very well in 1930, and by June were sitting on top of the League.But, injuries hit, noticeably to Jack Parker, which caused a temporary slump.

Nevertheless, they managed to finish in the top six.A memorable performance came the night they entertained the visit of Champions Stamford Bridge, with little hope of success through injuries they rose to the occasion and won by a single point.

Tom Farndon was the hero of the hour with a magnificent maximum. It was Farndon and the Parker’s who led the way for Coventry in 1930, with support coming from JOHN DEELEY, BILL STANLEY, ARTHUR TIMS and LEW LANCASTER.

The season started with the shock that The Parker’s and Tom Farndon had moved onto pastures new. Leaving the Coventry team in a transitional period, trying to re-build the side.They signed SYD JACKSON from Leicester, but they never got the balance of the team right and struggled badly.

The introduction of CYRIL TAFT from Birmingham and ALBY TAYLOR from Leicester gave them more strength, but little seemed to go right for the side.

High Beech pipped them by one point to leave Coventry holding the wooden spoon. Jackson missing a vital match through a bout of flu.

Jackson’s form was the highlight of the season with fighting performance’s from Tims and STAN GREATREX.

It was a different story in 1932, as the team began to become a formidable outfit once again.

Jackson was inspirational and finished the season as second highest scorer in the League. Solidity being provided by New Zealander ALF MATTSON, ROY DOOK, BILL (Skid) PITCHER, the TAFT brothers, STEW FAIRBAIRN and TIMS.

Although they didn’t win anything the Brandon name was back on the map, lifting themselves up to seventh in the League.

Coventry had high hopes of improving on seventh in 1933, but those hopes were quashed when No1 Syd Jackson was lured to London and signed a contract with Wimbledon.

Without Jackson, the club made a disastrous start to the campaign but after a few weeks were fortunate enough to secure the signature of Australian Star, DICK CASE. He settled in well and quickly proved an adequate replacement for Jackson.

Under his leadership, Coventry pulled themselves together to climb the table and finally finish in seventh place.

The damage had been done two years earlier with the loss of star’s like The Parker’s and Farndon, the crowd levels at Brandon had dropped off, and at the end of 1933 Motordromes Ltd pulled the plug and the floodlights went out for 15 years......

End of Part One