British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
splott

history of coventry bees

Well I thought Splot wanted info, and no responses. So I guess no one is interested. :(

Guest Sir Lunchalot

Brilliant stuff though Bee, the memory is working fine !!!

Splot may have grown weary waiting for a response judging by the date of his / her original posting ?

Haven't got something similar for the "arch rivals" Leicester Hunters have you by any chance ?

If it helps when you are in Word, click on "open" and then when the box opens to select the file you want go to "files of type" (towards the bottom of the pop up box) and click on the drop down arrow to the side of that. A selection of file types should appear and one of them should be "Works". Select that and your "Works" file should (ahem) "work".

Brilliant stuff though Bee, the memory is working fine !!!

Splot may have grown weary waiting for a response judging by the date of his / her original posting ?

Haven't got something similar for the "arch rivals" Leicester Hunters have you by any chance ?

If it helps when you are in Word, click on "open" and then when the box opens to select the file you want go to "files of type" (towards the bottom of the pop up box) and click on the drop down arrow to the side of that. A selection of file types should appear and one of them should be "Works". Select that and your "Works" file should (ahem) "work".

Thanks, like you I think this thread has died so reposted part one and now part two in new topics. I don't have anything on Leicester but you will find stuff that involves bees v hunters and bees v lions later.

The works convertor I need doesn't work salvaged most of it up to 1964 but from then on I think I have lost the stuff :(

As for memory.... my first season was 1960. This stuff is from research and out of old mags and books etc I came across.

Thanks

Guest Sir Lunchalot
The works convertor I need doesn't work salvaged most of it up to 1964 but from then on I think I have lost the stuff :(

If you still have the files on your PC / disk somewhere why don't you email me a copy of the files and I'll see if I can manage a rescue mission. No harm in trying is there ?

You want Alan Jonses' book:

"Speedway in Leicester: the pre-war years"

It details both Stadium and Super (the largest ever track in England) and is the most detailed book on pre-war speedway (with the possible exception of Jim Henry's EDinburgh - Marine Gardens, and the book about speedway in Manchester 1929-1945))

Vol 2 covering the Hunters era should be out next year.

Contact the author @

24Purbeck Ave,Shepshed,Loughborough LE12 9HD or

speedwayinleicester@hotmail.com

Read about attempts to get speedway at Grace Road (Leics County Cricket Club) and the apparition of Roy Reeves' ghost to his widow on the first bend at Blackbird Road

Did you know :

Stadium met Super 5 times and won them all...

...that Stadium rode against Denmark in 1930

.. that Super re-opened in 1936 for a handful of pirate meetings (a fact not recorded in Homes of British Speedway)