British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Mildenhall -v- Cradley Off

I feel for you mike, we've all been there. Most of my meetings are local nowadays, and that's the way it's going to stay.

• Like 1

Bottom line is :- JOLLY MUST GO !!! ( I am a Speedway supporter with 50 years experience !!! ) Come on SCB !!! Man up !!! The whole of British Speedway is a joke !!! It needs a dire shake-up !!! To many promoters with no empathy and understanding of the sport and, it appears, not too worried about the financial gain with the way they execute their promotions !!! GIVE THE PUBLIC FAIR ENTERTAINMENT FOR THE FEE THEY PAY !!! Keep personalities out of the equation !!! Evan referees are becoming a joke, inconsistent, one sided and don't know a sprocket from a clutch plate and should have gone to Specsavers !!!

So what is riding under protest? Trailing at the back

They did by promoting the number 8 Bradley Andrews to cover for the injured James Purchase.So Cradley already had two 3 pointers(who quite honestly can't score 3 points between them)in the team...and you expect them to bring in another unattached 3 pointer to replace a heat leader?.. And those 3 pointers would have to take three R/R rides as well.Hardly fair is it?

No, and TBF here, I'm pointing the finger at people who write open ended rules with no thought whatsoever for the consequences. I'm just waiting now for a rider to declare 'Nah, don't fancy that, get a guest in', and the way it's going, that could well happen.

I don't blame Cradley at all. The rules say they were allowed a guest and booked one, end of. In many ways, it's 1976 all over again. Wolverhampton were left without a full team thanks to stupid planning (or lack of it) by the then Rider Control Committee and they were told they could plug the gaps by using guests and R/R. Dave Parry himself admitted he hated the whole scenario, but would use it to give Wolves the best team possible and show just how idiotic it all was. After a bit more of the same, certainly with regard to the R/R element in 1977, everything calmed down a fair bit for the next few years. But here we are again, and it just shows that the people formulating the rules never learn from history.

Speedway as a whole seems to have a self-destruct mechanism

Doesn't it just, everywhere you look at the moment there's a crisis in some form or another.

Other than all this, you still keeping OK Mike?

Other than all this, you still keeping OK Mike?

Yep, 24 hrs later and looking forward to my next meeting...Didn't see you at Birmingham last meeting?..mind I've only got there once thus far...Trust you're working! I am still!

So what is riding under protest? Trailing at the back

A team manager informed the ref of the reason his team will be riding the match 'under protest' which was often at the make-up of the opposition side. (this public display was as much to appease any disgruntled home fans on the day..)

He pays the protest fee and gets a hearing...not sure this is still an option though?

At Duplicate Bridge we call similar 'Reserving one's rights'

Yep, 24 hrs later and looking forward to my next meeting...Didn't see you at Birmingham last meeting?..mind I've only got there once thus far...Trust you're working! I am still!

A team manager informed the ref of the reason his team will be riding the match 'under protest' which was often at the make-up of the opposition side. (this public display was as much to appease any disgruntled home fans on the day..)

He pays the protest fee and gets a hearing...not sure this is still an option though?

At Duplicate Bridge we call similar 'Reserving one's rights'

oh right ok maybe he felt he'd get noticed this way! I don't think he's done himself any favours at all!

Surely though as the Cradley team was legal there's no protest to be made and the abandonment is just sour grapes on the part of Mildenhall? Expect the BSPA to come down on them like a ton of bricks and unfortunately it sounds like it'd be deserved too.

I drove 2.5 hours to Mildenhall arriving at 2.30 and really looking forward to an attractive meeting..to be met by dozens of cars turning around, and so drove 2.5 hrs home again...

I was trying to visit every track this year but what with the weather and now this totally avoidable cock-up my enthusiasm is waning. This on top of attending the Coventry fiasco last season.

I am surprised as many like me still attend anything that's not local. Even if a meeting goes ahead I don't even expect to see 15 heats these days let alone the 20+ of old days...

With some exceptions supporters seem to be the last people riders and officials ands refs think of..

Why on earth I spend up to £20 plus fuel to possibly see as few as 10 heats i can't quite fathom....the few of us left must be mad.

I go to non-league football a lot (and travel long distances), with sometimes paltry crowds watching at step 7, but at least I know the game will go ahead and not be called off for some ridiculous reason. (like the visiting team have a player the home manager doesn't like much!)

What happened to riding under protest and paying the appropriate fine? Doesn't seem to happen these days..

Speedway as a whole seems to have a self-destruct mechanism, and i'm afraid it might be better in the long run those found not to be acting with the best interests of the sport in mind to be thrown out of the sport. If tracks close so be it. In the long run it might stop us lurching from one shocking cock-up to another (it is meant to be a professional sport after all) This type of incident affects every Promoters business to some extent, so why on earth others tolerate this year after year beats me!

I will continue to go to tracks up and down the country as I love the sport so this isn't a threat in any way...it just breaks my heart that other fans are understandably stopping going because of the shocking way the sport is being run in this country.

I think in this case a disrepute charge would be appropriate. One person's actions have cost me and others a significant amount of wasted time and money

Coventry fiasco? I assume you refer to the meeting against Mildenhall that was abandoned after a serious racing accident left a rider immobilised on the track with suspected back injuries awaiting a County ambulance? Edited by NeilWatson

Coventry fiasco? I assume you refer to the meeting against Mildenhall that was abandoned after a serious racing accident left a rider immobilised on the track with suspected back injuries awaiting a County ambulance?

Or possibly the one with the statement by the track announcer that he would bring you news of tonight's curfew.

Back in the early 2000s when the doubling up rule was introduced for young British riders I thought at the time that it would spiral out of control and it has. I don't think anyone knows all the facts about yesterday, but Mr jolly needs to provide a full explanation to all that can be assessed before we start shooting off distress flairs.

Coventry fiasco? I assume you refer to the meeting against Mildenhall that was abandoned after a serious racing accident left a rider immobilised on the track with suspected back injuries awaiting a County ambulance?

Or possibly the EL Riders Championship fiasco the year before last which he may have attended and he got his timeline wrong...?

Let's be fair, it is so very easy to get confused with so many 'British Speedway fiascos' to remember...!

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

The meeting where Mick Horton invented a curfew which doesn't exist at his track? (Having seen racing completed at Brandon at 11.40pm in the past).

All the best

Rob

actually I was referring to the tv meeting against Poole on a Monday night.

Thanks Mike, I agree that 'was' a fiasco

Seems to me from today's 2nd statement, that Mildenhall have accepted full responsibility. And so they should. You may not like the rules, they may indeed be stupid, but Mildenhalls actions were just plain wrong.

• Like 2