British Speedway Forum
Phil The Ace

Mildenhall -v- Cradley Off

Look at the posts by waynejarvis and westhamboy66

That's not the point I am debating arnieg - I asked where the comments were in this tread where people had travelled to Mildenhall then found the meeting had been called off. Can you point one or two out for me please?

Look at the posts by waynejarvis and westhamboy66

Thank you for your comment AlanF. I have tried to find the two Posts you refer to without any luck. Can you please multi-quote them if convenient. Thank for your anticipated help. :lol:

Still no sign of the points being added to Cradley's League Record.

I wonder what's going on?

Having spent ages reading the posts today has finally made me register to post!

I have visited Mildenhall for many years, travelling from North London most weeks. I had been on to the speedwaygb website and the meeting was still on. With the weather sunny and fine I set off on the 90 minute journey to the track and arrived at about 2.30. I met several cars along the narrow road to the stadium and assumed that the Moto X had just finished. On arrival it was clear that something was amiss and reading the handwritten bit of paper stuck to the turnstile entrance it was announced that the meeting was off due to personal and speedway issues. The number of people arriving during the time I was there was very steady demonstrating how much inconvenience the immature decision has caused. Having spent a total of 3 hours in the car at a cost of around £30 in fuel (175 mile round trip) I was really pleased to read the Mildenhall statement that Mr Jolly immediately regretted his decision on cancelling the meeting. I know just how he feels as I now regret spending a day and my hard earned money going to Mildenhall and that he would be taking a rest before returning on 17 July when the Isle of Wight visit. I will not be returning again.

This act sums up British Speedway. Promoters wonder why they don't get crowds - that need to remember that they are offering a product that they need to sell. Can you imagine turning up at Man Utd or Liverpool and the Chairman has decided that he can't be bothered to play a game and what the implications would be if they did cancel the game.

The meeting at Kings Lynn on Saturday also shows the same lack of, for want of a better term, customer experience. Yes there were lots of stoppages but there were 20 minute gaps between the qualifiers and semis and the semis and final. I drive out of the car park at 23:40

I do not suspect that Mr Jolly will be offering any recompense to those who travelled and I suspect that like most promoters he doesn't care. There needs to be a full open and Mildenhall speedway about he reasons for this and I hope that Mr Jolly's licence is suspended.

Being purely selfish I wasted nearly four hours driving, did 180 miles and it cost me about 25 quid in fuel. I do far less meetings these days as i simply don't risk travelling when there is a dodgy weather forecast anymore. But to turn up to a stadium and watch many others turning round and leaving for no apparent reason is a real kick in the teeth. I don't give a toss about a dispute over who can and can't ride this sort of thing just wouldn't be acceptable in a real sport. Whatever the rights and wrongs that is irrelevant and i wouldn't bother discussing it all i would say is that's my lot going to watch racing at Mildenhall as there is plenty of racing elsewhere. So who is the loser? Ultimately Mildenhall speedway as i'm sure there are more people than me thinking this way.

I have carefully read both the Posts as suggested by AlanF and must agree that both Waynejarvis and westhamboy66 have every reason to feel aggrieved with the situation they found at Mildenhall after making obviously long journeys to be there.

Obviously I was wrong in my assertion that no members of the speedway public were affected by Kevin Jolly's decision to postpone/cancel the Mildenhall-Cradley match because VERY obviously these two were.

And there may well have been others who are not BSF posters who were also affected. A very sorry state of affairs indeed.

Edited by Guest

As said earlier in an earlier post I drove up from Sussex having checked match was on before I left.

It's bigger than just me though isn't it. It's about trust and the effect that this type of balls-up has on other tracks businesses. That is why I sincerely believe that the sport is better off with tracks closed that don't act in a professional manner at all times. I'm sorry but every one of these negative stories takes us further down the road to oblivion.

And whilst I'm at it what the heck is going on at Stoke? How many times have I thought about going there only to see 'match postponed' signs up?

The latest being yesterday...Matt calls for continuity of fixtures....some promotions can't even manage the odd meeting once in a while!

Well 4 away points have appeared on Cradley's record but that's as a result of yesterday's win at Rye House.

There is clearly something going on behind the scenes here.

Edited by Ommer Mon

Nigel Pearson just tweeted - "Just reading @speedwaystarmag amused at reports @HeathensSpeed awarded points for Mildenhall away. Nobody has told us."

What are the BSPA playing at?

Things were bad with Harkness but straight talking no nonsense Chapman has sunk things even further. Fall on your sword man and move on.

Read in the speedway star this morning that Dugard has moaned about Cradley gettting the points so i am sure something is going on somewhere, But to be honest i dont think it was anything to do with Cradeley the problem being is that its effected the whole of the league.

The problem really is the decision thats been made not of who the clubs who are involved.

I dont think Dugard is the only one to moan but he is the only one to put it public and why not its a bad decision and he is right Re Run the metting? everyone earns money that way.

Cradley expect the appeal to order a re-run of the meeting anyway, and as a consequence are arranging a date. Though if it doesn't they'll still go there for a challenge meeting. Fair play Cradley's promotion.

• Like 3

Rather than hand 4 points to Cradley it would have been fairer all round to take 4 points off the Bog Moggies. That way they suffer some kind of penalty. Even if they win the rearranged match they still can't claw all 4 points back.

Just a thought.

• Like 1

Rather than hand 4 points to Cradley it would have been fairer all round to take 4 points off the Bog Moggies. That way they suffer some kind of penalty. Even if they win the rearranged match they still can't claw all 4 points back.

Just a thought.

As a supporter of neither team, or any in the third tier, I am speaking with some impartiality.

Should this decision be proven not to be urban legend (and you would think Cradley officials would have been told if it wasn’t by now) every team, other than the Heathens has been penalised for Mildenhall’s (in) actions.

The suspended fine is actually no fine at all, as long as Kevin Jolly keeps his nose clean, so hardly punished; yet the innocents of Buxton, Isle of Wight etc., will be 4 points further behind Cradley as a result whereas Mildenhall will be……………….. oh yeah the same 4 points behind as the innocent parties here. We’ve had riders in the past fined, with no suspension period, far more for having the wrong shade of helmet colour even though, for a colour blind person like me, these rebels were actually a huge help as colour was easier to identify. Even if he has a big bogie coming down his left nostril during the suspension period the subsequent fine for Kevin is only really pocket money.

OK I know he is an advisor to the club but how ironic that the hearing was, in Kevin’s absence held with the League Title Sponsor’s representative, speaking on behalf of the guilty party. I’m sure that he is an honourable person (and a great goalkeeper in his heyday in spite of his Donald Trump hairstyle) but it doesn’t help with transparency. A lot like Trevor Brooking adjudicating in the Carlos Tevez affair with his “neutrality” ensuring West Ham weren’t docked the points to relegate them that season, as they should have been.

Obviously not my good self but some could even suggest dodgy handshakes and rolled up trouser legs being the deciding factor in reaching this conclusion, or the fear of pulling of the sponsorship. It would be hard to argue with whoever those people may be.

It is not good PR that the much respected Title sponsor has fairly directly penalised the majority of clubs the company is supposedly supporting in agreeing with this decision. Surely the moral thing to do would be stop any points which were going to be awarded to Cradley but, as my learned friend here suggests, take them from Fen Tigers, who are the ones who’ve benefitted. Then replay the match and not some meaningless challenge for the Fen Pork Scratchings Trophy or similar, in its place.

As some have said it would also have been a nice gesture to refund those travelling some distance in good faith to this match with their petrol or other travel costs. Like the other 30,000 on here who will no doubt be submitting a claim, I arrived at the stadium only to find no officials there I could speak to support my application and no match on. A £100 contribution to my petrol costs would indeed be the honourable thing to do. The trauma claims can come later.

• Like 1

As a supporter of neither team, or any in the third tier, I am speaking with some impartiality.

Should this decision be proven not to be urban legend (and you would think Cradley officials would have been told if it wasn’t by now) every team, other than the Heathens has been penalised for Mildenhall’s (in) actions.

The suspended fine is actually no fine at all, as long as Kevin Jolly keeps his nose clean, so hardly punished; yet the innocents of Buxton, Isle of Wight etc., will be 4 points further behind Cradley as a result whereas Mildenhall will be……………….. oh yeah the same 4 points behind as the innocent parties here. We’ve had riders in the past fined, with no suspension period, far more for having the wrong shade of helmet colour even though, for a colour blind person like me, these rebels were actually a huge help as colour was easier to identify. Even if he has a big bogie coming down his left nostril during the suspension period the subsequent fine for Kevin is only really pocket money.

OK I know he is an advisor to the club but how ironic that the hearing was, in Kevin’s absence held with the League Title Sponsor’s representative, speaking on behalf of the guilty party. I’m sure that he is an honourable person (and a great goalkeeper in his heyday in spite of his Donald Trump hairstyle) but it doesn’t help with transparency. A lot like Trevor Brooking adjudicating in the Carlos Tevez affair with his “neutrality” ensuring West Ham weren’t docked the points to relegate them that season, as they should have been.

Obviously not my good self but some could even suggest dodgy handshakes and rolled up trouser legs being the deciding factor in reaching this conclusion, or the fear of pulling of the sponsorship. It would be hard to argue with whoever those people may be.

It is not good PR that the much respected Title sponsor has fairly directly penalised the majority of clubs the company is supposedly supporting in agreeing with this decision. Surely the moral thing to do would be stop any points which were going to be awarded to Cradley but, as my learned friend here suggests, take them from Fen Tigers, who are the ones who’ve benefitted. Then replay the match and not some meaningless challenge for the Fen Pork Scratchings Trophy or similar, in its place.

As some have said it would also have been a nice gesture to refund those travelling some distance in good faith to this match with their petrol or other travel costs. Like the other 30,000 on here who will no doubt be submitting a claim, I arrived at the stadium only to find no officials there I could speak to support my application and no match on. A £100 contribution to my petrol costs would indeed be the honourable thing to do. The trauma claims can come later.

although you do go off on a few tangents now and again , basically well said.

Thanks Mr Ore

That would seem the sensible solution.

Though I have to say any contest for the Pork Scratchings Trophy would be anything but meaningless. Come to think of it hold the Trophy I'll just take the scratchings!

• Like 1

e]

although you do go off on a few tangents now and again , basically well said.

I'm a big fan of Ronnie Corbett; comic genius.

And Ronnie wasn't bad either.

Thanks Mr Ore

That would seem the sensible solution.

Though I have to say any contest for the Pork Scratchings Trophy would be anything but meaningless. Come to think of it hold the Trophy I'll just take the scratchings!

I don't usually apologise, but my dig is at the ridiculous names given to some meaningless speedway trophies and not an insult to the culinary gem that is pork scratchings.. Certainly seems we are kindred spirits, although it is 48 hours since I last indulged with 3 bags for a fiver at Ealing Beer Festival. Lush..
  • Like 1