British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Alan_Jones

British Youth Championship Round 4, Rye House Sunday 26th June @ 2pm

The way I had it scored after 46 heats of action (!) was as follows:

British Youth Championships Round Four
500cc

1st. Kyle Bickley (8); 2nd. Tom Brennan (12[M]); 3rd. Luke Woodhull (10); 4th. Daniel Gilkes (9); 5th. Jordan Jenkins 7; 6th.= Anders Rowe 6; 6th. = Kean Dicken 6; 8th. James Hitchen 6; 9th. Sam Woolley 5; 10th. = Carl Basford 4; 10th = Alex Spooner; 12th. = Sheldon Davies 2; 12th. = Sam Bebee. 2

250cc
1st. Leon Flint (12[M]); 2nd. Jason Edwards (8); 3rd. Drew Kemp (5); 4th. Aaran Butcher 0
150cc

1st. Nathan Ablitt (12[M]); 2nd. Sam Hagon (8); 3rd. Kieron McCoy (8); 4th.Josh Parnell (7); 5th.Mason O’Rourke 3; 6th. Jamie Bursill 3; 7th. James Laker 0
125cc

1st. Joe Thompson (12[M]); 2nd.Dan Thompson (12[M]); 3rd. Harry McGurk (11); 4th. Corbin Pavitt (9); 5th Sam McGurk 8; 6th. Mikey Robbins 8; 7th. Mickie Simpson 6; 8th. Jordan Palin 6; 9th. Freddie Fox-Baron 5; 10th. Danny Curl 5; 11th. Jacob Clayton 4; 12th. = Bailey Fellows 4; 12th. = Alex Goldsborough 4; 14th. Elliott Kelly 2; 15th. Taya Thirtle 2; 16th. Jacob Fellows 1; 17th. Max Perry 0

Track was slick and dusty with as prominent blue grove, but given that large pools of water from Saturday's meeting stopping downpour were still visible on the centre green we shouldn't be too critical. 3 1/2 hours for the 46 races.

One alteration to Derek's scores, Daniel Gilkes scored 11 in qualifying for the final (where he suffered a nasty looking fall on the final bend - any news on how he is?)

2 points from a fourth lap EF cost Jenkins a place in the 500cc final. There was a controversial race when Jenkins steamed under Kyle Bickley, causing(?) Kyle to pack up. Bickley dropped his only other point to Woodhull, while Brennan recorded the four fastest times in the heats. Sam Bebee withdrew after one ride.

Although there were only four competitors the 250cc was the most competitive class with Edwards, Flint and Kemp involved in some tight first laps.

The 150cc is the Nathan Ablitt show. Josh Parnell missed the final with bike troubles.

In the 125cc's Dan was the faster Thompson in the heats,but Joe got the drop in the final. Jordan Palin and Mickie Simpson both had falls which could have cost them places in the final (one of Mickie's was on the last bend while leading). The nearest Joe Thompson came to defeat was in his final qualifying race when Jordan Palin did his best to block his opponent (with Corbin Pavitt just behind looking to exploit any gaps that opened up)

To be fair the track took so much water that it was amazing Saturday's meeting was on. Given the massive downpour at heat 10 that caused abandonment then i thought it was highly unlikely the British Youth meeting on sunday would go ahead. So i though that despot the dust and the blue groove the track held up well for 46 races. well done Rye House and all the competitors it was an enjoyable meeting

Edited by westhamboy66
  • Like 1

Cheers Arnie - wouldn't be the same if I didn't make one error!!

The most controversial moment was surely in the 500cc Final.
I've NEVER seen a rider line up like Bickley did - with his bike literally at 45 degress to the tapes (as opposed to the required head on..).
The reason? So he could (from the inside gate) immediately cut right across Tom Brennan's path.
I'm at a total loss to understand how neither the Start Marshal nor the Ref saw this and/or why they took no action... It was the literal definition of an 'unsatisfactory start'!!
We certainly all saw it did where I was standing and we were all astonished it was allowed to go..!

Talking of where we were standing , where were you Arnie... Never saw ya!!!

Cheers Arnie - wouldn't be the same if I didn't make one error!!

The most controversial moment was surely in the 500cc Final.

I've NEVER seen a rider line up like Bickley did - with his bike literally at 45 degress to the tapes (as opposed to the required head on..).

The reason? So he could (from the inside gate) immediately cut right across Tom Brennan's path.

I'm at a total loss to understand how neither the Start Marshal nor the Ref saw this and/or why they took no action... It was the literal definition of an 'unsatisfactory start'!!

We certainly all saw it did where I was standing and we were all astonished it was allowed to go..!

Talking of where we were standing , where were you Arnie... Never saw ya!!!

Parsloes how do you rate the two young lads? i have seen both seen a bit more of Brennan and he has impressed me also other promising lads Bebbee ( very promising) Jenkins and others.How far away are those lads away from PL action in your opinion.

I agree with most things said on here, even 'Old Parsloes' making his mistake with the score for Daniel Gilkes (Do hope the poor lad is okay, it happened right in front of me, and looked horrific...ANY UPDATES ANYONE ON HIS CONDITION PLEASE?)

I'm really pleased that I made the journey from the seaside in Norfolk, and was impressed with the amount of Mildenhall fans that had made the journey. It's not the best British Youth Meeting that I've ever seen, but still more than worthy of the £5 admission money. In fact, if the ladies sitting at the table by the entrance, had waited another 5-minutes or so, they could of collected off another eleven people that filtered in within a few minutes of their taking their leave. The club lost £55 on that one, plus possible programme money. Although I could be wrong, I have little doubt in my own mind, that they waited and took their chance!!

What did disappoint me however, was the overall attendance level, especially at a fiver a throw. Even though they are only youngsters, they still deserve and need the public support, because as more and more riders opt out of racing in the UK, they are the future of British Speedway. If you support them then, why not now, whilst they are learning their trade, not only for their own satisfaction, but for our entertainment too.

Forgetting what Derek said about Kyle Bickley (I personally didn't notice it), the lad is a huge star in the making, along with Tom Brennan, and their are quite a few others making steady progress, and with our support, and the deep pockets of their families, they will get there.

The next round is at Leicester, which I'm eagerly looking forward to, and last time they staged it, it did draw a big crowd, so lets hope this time will be the same.

Parsloes how do you rate the two young lads? i have seen both seen a bit more of Brennan and he has impressed me also other promising lads Bebbee ( very promising) Jenkins and others.How far away are those lads away from PL action in your opinion.

The riders who stood out for me were Gilkes (who I'd not seen before - like Mike says I do hope he's okay coz that was some prang at the end..!), Brennan (who am looking forward to seeing riding NL from, er, next week as he turns 15 on Saturday..) and Jenkins - who was outstanding I thought. Sooo unlucky not to reach the final and his pass of Bickley was the racing move of the day.

• Like 1

The riders who stood out for me were Gilkes (who I'd not seen before - like Mike says I do hope he's okay coz that was some prang at the end..!), Brennan (who am looking forward to seeing riding NL from, er, next week as he turns 15 on Saturday..) and Jenkins - who was outstanding I thought. Sooo unlucky not to reach the final and his pass of Bickley was the racing move of the day.

I'd agree with that, and add Mickie Simpson. We do need to remember that these youngsters have a long way to go. Being the best at this level is no guarantee of success at NL let alone PL level.

• Like 1

I'd agree with that, and add Mickie Simpson. We do need to remember that these youngsters have a long way to go. Being the best at this level is no guarantee of success at NL let alone PL level.

Yes that's true...

Great name too... In these days of Jacobs, Corbins, Baileys, Masons and Nathans with double-barrelled surnames, how refreshing to have a 'Mickie Simpson'!!!

Oh and another rider who needs a mention is Leon Flint who was outstanding in the 250cc class which had by far the least riders but produced the best races..

Thanks Parsloes fingers crossed for all those young lads eh.!Young Brennan i have seen a few times i rate him hope he enjoys his debut excited for him a big jump he will be fine.

Yes that's true...

Great name too... In these days of Jacobs, Corbins, Baileys, Masons and Nathans with double-barrelled surnames, how refreshing to have a 'Mickie Simpson'!!!

Oh and another rider who needs a mention is Leon Flint who was outstanding in the 250cc class which had by far the least riders but produced the best races..

And what exactly is wrong with the name Bailey? Or any of the other names for that matter? Edited by alkadera

You had a sense of humour malfunction..?!![/quote

Just wanted an answer to a simple question as you referenced my son's name in your post.

Unfortunately it looks like you can't actually give one.

• Like 1