British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

'oldest' Starter To Make Grade

It's always interesting to read of the emergence of teenagers who went on to make the grade in speedway - as highlighted in this forum riders like Billy Bales, Ivan Mauger, Arthur Forrest and Michael Lee spring readily to mind.

​At the other end of the age scale, how about the 'late age starters' who made a good standard? Two 38-year-olds who did just that at about the same time were circa 1949 onwards Harold McNaughton for Hastings and Tom Oakley for Southampton.

Over successive season, both riders were good scorers for various clubs and even won England representation at Division Two level.

I am sure there must have been a few more riders like them?

Edited by Guest

It's always interesting to read of the emergence of teenagers who went on to make the grade in speedway - as highlighted in this forum riders like Billy Bales, Ivan Mauger, Arthur Forrest and Michael Lee spring readily to mind.

​At the other end of the age scale, how about the 'late age starters' who made a good standard? Two 38-year-olds who did just that at about the same time were circa 1949 onwards Harold McNaughton for Hastings and Tom Oakley for Southampton.

Over successive season, both riders were good scorers for various clubs and even won England representation at Division Two level.

Though I can't think of any "oldie" who went on to have a successful career, I came across a story a while ago of a rider called Harry Denton who made his debut at non-league track Brafield in the 1966 Midland Junior Riders Championship when he was in his 50's. He even won a race. I can't find any further reference to him after this meeting so I guess his career was short but sweet.

Though I can't think of any "oldie" who went on to have a successful career, I came across a story a while ago of a rider called Harry Denton who made his debut at non-league track Brafield in the 1966 Midland Junior Riders Championship when he was in his 50's. He even won a race. I can't find any further reference to him after this meeting so I guess his career was short but sweet.

​Harry Denton was actually a leading Australian sidecar racer with many years experience at top level in the formula. As I recall he was on a visit to the UK for a series of meetings when he decided - despite his age of the early 50s - to try solo racing. That was at Brafield in the meeting you mention, and he may have had a couple more tries at solo racing.

And, looking at your 'double quote" HertsRacer it looks as though you were also hit by the Time Delay on messages which is a thread elsewhere on the BSF in FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS under REPLYING TIMES.

Edited by Guest

By JOHN HYAM

THE Pilot Field in Hastings had a brief stay in the National League Division Three in 1948 and 1949. It was laid by Charlie Dugard who staffed the side mainly with the riders who had served him so well at Eastbourne in 1947.

Pete Mold, Bob Sivyer and Eric Dunn were local men who tried with various degrees of success to get into the side. The pre-war Dagenham rider Ken Tidbury was another, while Wally Green, Arthur ‘Buddy’ Fuller and Jock Grierson were others who made an impact in the ‘Saxons’ side.

One unlikely starter was a local garage proprietor, Harold MacNaughton. He was starting his speedway career at the age of 38 years, and mainly got second-half rides - as Dugard put it - ‘to give local people someone to associate with.’

Craggy Harold had other ideas. One night Yarmouth turned up the Pilot Field with seemingly invincible 17-year-old sensation Billy Bales in their team. He was virtually unbeatable home and away. But that didn’t worry Mr MacNaughton. He was in a reserve berth when he clashed with Bales and had the Hastings fans on their toes as he whipped into the lead and defied the Yarmouth man for four laps.

It was one of the big upsets of the 1949 season and after that MacNaughton graduated to a regular place in the Hastings’ team until - a petition against the track based on planning approval and noise closed it at the end of the season.

Speedway vanished from the Sussex coastal town thanks to 11 residents and the High Court but Harold MacNaughton stayed in speedway.

In the years going into the mid-1950s, he rode for Southampton, Ipswich and New Cross and also for England at Second Division level. Life certainly began at 40 in his case! Unfortunately, a heart condition forced him out of the sport, but for some years in Eastbourne’s late 1950s Southern Area League seasons he was a regular visitor to meetings at Arlington.

​Harry Denton was actually a leading Australian sidecar racer with many years experience at top level in the formula. As I recall he was on a visit to the UK for a series of meetings when he decided - despite his age of the early 50s - to try solo racing. That was at Brafield in the meeting you mention, and he may have had a couple more tries at solo racing.

And, looking at your 'double quote" HertsRacer it looks as though you were also hit by the Time Delay on messages which is a thread elsewhere on the BSF in FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS under REPLYING TIMES.

I believe he was actually a reserve at the Pride of the East... Sadly, Harry lost his after a crash at at Adelaide's Rowley Park in November 1967.

Steve

I believe he was actually a reserve at the Pride of the East... Sadly, Harry lost his after a crash at at Adelaide's Rowley Park in November 1967.

Steve

I respect the inclusion of the late Harry Denton as a nomination for this thread, and honour him for his efforts in sidecar speedway. But with respects he did not make the grade as a late starter in solo speedway in the same way as did both Harold McNaughton and Tom Oakley.

I wonder what the scenario would be in modern speedway if two riders like them tried to enter speedway in present times? :unsure:

Edited by Guest