British Speedway Forum
Steve Shovlar

Matt Fords Vision For The Elite League In 2017.

Then why hasn't it done ?

Cos most promoters stick their fingers in their ears and sing 'la la la la' than listen to a good suggestion!! :D
  • Like 2

Cos most promoters stick their fingers in their ears and sing 'la la la la' than listen to a good suggestion!! :D

Do they.. my guess it that your just guessing..

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1

So what would hou suggest? Ban Holder, Zagar, Iversen, Jonsson, Lindgren, Doyle etc? Good servants to British speedway.

Drop the standard across the board to PL level so Britain never again produces top class riders. Or if one comes through he is banned from riding here because he has got too good?

We need to raise the standard not dilute it to PL level.

Squad system is the way ahead. Ten riders in a squad. Still have a team 'points' limit of some form. Riders who are not used by their club are automatically available for all other clubs to sign.

A squad system is not financially viable unless you want Poole to ride say against four other teams?This notion that having the stars back would make crowds alot better is that correct.?I see Tai as a world champion at the Abbey still only got 1000//1300 there watching.After watching that average at best meeting last night i still think we need to raise the bar on the entertainment stakes that is a priority for me.
  • Like 2

We've all talked about set race nights for years now but its just not happening. You have to ask the question why ?

And it's edging closer and closer to reality.

Think it will happen in next 2 seasons personally,

I have no issue what night it is.

The fixed race night (or 2) for the EL has indeed been talked about for the last few years. Its so that those clubs that have to can sound out their landlords with sufficient notice and negotiation to change their night if necessary.

The last AGM suggested it will come into force in 2017. If there is still to be a senior league with an attempt to attract the top riders again then I would put my money on a Weds/Thursday option.

• Like 1

And it's edging closer and closer to reality.

Think it will happen in next 2 seasons personally,

I have no issue what night it is.

Its needed, and badly..

The fixed race night (or 2) for the EL has indeed been talked about for the last few years. Its so that those clubs that have to can sound out their landlords with sufficient notice and negotiation to change their night if necessary.

The last AGM suggested it will come into force in 2017. If there is still to be a senior league with an attempt to attract the top riders again then I would put my money on a Weds/Thursday option.

If we're still running an EL next season I still say Monday/Thursday as a lot of Danes will be ruled out from a fixed Wednesday race night in the UK.

Personally I'm against a single fixed racenight idea simply because of the Landlord potential problems but, I'd knock certain race days on the head ie Tuesday's, Friday's (except Good Friday), Saturday's and Sunday's.

I'd have it so each club is only permitted to race 1 home 1 away fixture per week at all times, giving better scheduling for riders to work with.

That would also be the case with rain offs too

A lot of riders don't like riding on Monday though, isn't it one of the reasons why BV moved their race night?

• Like 1

It's all very well having these proposals...but imo, they will just plaster over the bigger problems.

He wants 25 home fixtures....I agree, biggest problem is continuity. Having a weekly fixture is a must.

However...no way are you going to get 25 home fixtures done without many rain offs.

It for me, is the biggest killer to this sport.

The slightest sniff of rain and people wont bother turning up. Then they find something else to do...as they have got fed up with this farce.

It arguably rains more in our summer months.

Modern tracks and bikes are sensitive to water and need almost 'perfect' conditions for riders to race.

I've never seen so many meetings called off down to the weather.

How in nearly 100 years Speedway hasn't found a way of covering the tracks is beyond me.

How they haven't found a way of evolving, so that tracks and bikes can race in wet dirty conditions.

It's complete madness, trying to run a sport successfully, when it can't run in normal British weather conditions.

I'm all for changes...but imo, it has to change drastically. It's not about the top riders...it's about the very basics of the sport that need to change.

Tracks and bikes and riders mentality...lets start there firstly.

• Like 4

Would that contract give them a wage if sat on the sidelines waiting for their chance to race.

No. I don't know of any team that pays their riders when they are not riding. Some riders though, like Greg H, might have a fixed sum salary per meeting

rather than a salary based on amount of points scored.

A squad system is not financially viable unless you want Poole to ride say against four other teams?

You don't need 10 riders per squad. Sweden have only allows 7 riders (riders who have an average of 0.500 / 2.00 does not count).

We also allow three season permanent guest riders but those have to be Swedish only. They are also able to ride for one team in Elitserien and

one team in Allsvenskan. There are also restrictions regarding the averages of the guest riders.

No. I don't know of any team that pays their riders when they are not riding. Some riders though, like Greg H, might have a fixed sum salary per meeting

More fool them if they sign up to a team but do not ride or get paid if they are stopped fro riding for any other team.

If we're still running an EL next season I still say Monday/Thursday as a lot of Danes will be ruled out from a fixed Wednesday race night in the UK.

Personally I'm against a single fixed racenight idea simply because of the Landlord potential problems but, I'd knock certain race days on the head ie Tuesday's, Friday's (except Good Friday), Saturday's and Sunday's.

I'd have it so each club is only permitted to race 1 home 1 away fixture per week at all times, giving better scheduling for riders to work with.

That would also be the case with rain offs too

There are only a handful of Danes currently riding in the EL. Up until last week 4 of those were already riding for Weds/Thurs tracks (Poole/Kings Lynn). The Danish League does not run every week so whenever there is a Wednesday fixture clash, you either use a squad member or ride on the Thursday?!

You don't need 10 riders per squad. Sweden have only allows 7 riders (riders who have an average of 0.500 / 2.00 does not count).

We also allow three season permanent guest riders but those have to be Swedish only. They are also able to ride for one team in Elitserien and

one team in Allsvenskan. There are also restrictions regarding the averages of the guest riders.

That's because no British team has this sort of set-up. Are you suggesting that, Kasprzak for instance, would be happy sitting out matches in Poole's squad earning nothing when he could be first choice elsewhere earning money?

That's because no British team has this sort of set-up. Are you suggesting that, Kasprzak for instance, would be happy sitting out matches in Poole's squad earning nothing when he could be first choice elsewhere earning money?

Ive already said this umpteen times. If you have a sqaud system riders will expect a retainer.

• Like 1

Of course not. However if he could be first choice somewhere else then what stopped him from signing with them in the first place?

Edited by Ghostwalker
  • Like 1