British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pogo1

Glasgow V Edinburgh ,wednesday 29/6/16, Sky Sports 7.30pm

It was better tonight than Monday, but only because the promotion did a fine job of promoting the meeting.

Shame about the racing though. Non existent. Track looks hard to pass on. Too narrow. Early wet conditions didnt help but even later there wasnt much racing, just follow the leader.

Fans seemed to enjoy it and really if they are happy the promotion did its job. Shame about us neutrals on Sky who wanted some racing though.

Please tell me how you know that Berwick didn't do a fine job promoting Monday nights meeting ? They had posters up across the region , adds on local radio , free entry for kids , added attractions on the night , remember England where playing on Monday evening and you could hardly call Workington a local team could you ? . Shielfied is a big stadium even with 1000 people in it would still look empty

• Like 6

Well done to the Glasgow fans for turn-out ,terrific atmosphere some close racing even if there was not much passing.Well done the Fish when he is in the mood he is some entertainer .Its hard to fathom why Berwick did not retain Garcia after giving him his chance last year ,he did show signs of what it takes.

Please tell me how you know that Berwick didn't do a fine job promoting Monday nights meeting ? They had posters up across the region , adds on local radio , free entry for kids , added attractions on the night , remember England where playing on Monday evening and you could hardly call Workington a local team could you ? . Shielfied is a big stadium even with 1000 people in it would still look empty

Bang on, Berwick are doing a great job this season and are to be congratulated. Wasn't their fault Worky had a nightmare. Shovlar is just on the wind up, tbh. Looking like six weeks without a meeting, Belle Vue on fire, Holder lost it again, Doyle winning GP's... etc etc etc.

We usually get better racing but unfortunately we ended up with a slick track due entirely to the weather. Still, wan't half bad :party:

• Like 2

Its hard to fathom why Berwick did not retain Garcia after giving him his chance last year ,he did show signs of what it takes.

Wasn't he on borrowed equipment last year, some sort of patched up machine cobbled together? Glasgow have the finances to kit him out, whereas Berwick chose not to, you can't really blame them as it wouldn't really be fair on the other members of the team.

Edited by Shads

The Glasgow promoters, fans and riders are doing a great job, of course it's easier with a local derby but all the same. All promoters should take note!

How I miss our Ipswich and Peterborough derbies 😕

Just back and the atmosphere tonight was brilliant . Okay the racing in the first half of the meeting was a bit follow the leader , but it did improve .

The turning point was the 5-1 in heat 11 . We were getting a wee bit concerned , only 2 points up at that point , and Masters looking very good . But he had the graveyard gate 1 in that heat , he did try to anticipate the start and messed it up and that really made the difference .

We were pretty solid throughout , Edinburgh didn't really have a lot to back up their heat leaders with .

Though Mark Riss got better with every race and Bewley has come on a lot since his first Ashfield outing .

But I really enjoyed being at a speedway meeting with that kind of atmosphere .

You get the train alright after i dropped you.

Huge well done Glasgow..... What an atmosphere. My ears are still ringing

• Like 3

Coty Garcia fantastic, I recall a regular poster on here saying how crap he was last year and just because he had an exotic surname didn't make him a rider, oh and equipment wouldn't make any difference to him, ouch!

Fantastic evening showing what's good about our sport we all love, ok there wasn't as much passing as normal but riders were right up for it from both teams and both sets of fans were a credit to there team,

Fisher really good , and even when passed by Garcia coming off bend two he still shook his hand after the race after what was a very tough pass by our Coty.

Atmosphere electric , even though I have a slight sore head with all the air horns lol

• Like 5

Brilliant stuff from Glasgow. This is how the sport should be. Looking forward to coming up to see them slaughter my witches in august. It's an awesome track, below par tonight due to the weather. The view from the 4th bend is brilliant. We need more of this.

• Like 3

Can appreciate some of the comments about the quality of racing from those watching on TV.

The track wasn't ideal in the early heats (due to the pre-meeting weather), and very different for the home riders, add to that some of the Edinburgh riders still finding their feet.

Having said that, if you were at the meeting you'd have had a good night's entertainment - credit to all involved.

And that puts bums on seats.

Even the Monarch's fans attending would have enjoyed the meeting being so close and taking a few home scalps on the way.

• Like 4

Clearly the weather spoiled the racing.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter what the EL snobs think. Let them enjoy their 14 home meetings a year and weeks without meetings. They take a sample of just two meetings and make stupid judgements - they see what they want to see. Apparently having their team compete in a higher league makes them some kind of superior supporter.

Just enjoy the PL and its positive spirit. The PL has fun while the EL fights to exist.

Great to finally get to see a Scottish derby, even if from a distance - and to see a British speedway track packed for a league match. Clearly the new owners have worked miracles there.

• Like 6

Shame that the weather ruined the track and that it turned into a one line racestrip in the end.

Awesome crowd and atmosphere what a refreshing sight to see. At least there were a few decent heats as well.

However thank god sky are back in the EL next week as it's been a poor advert for PL racing this week.

• Like 1

love to see the fans so involved,even getting covered in shale didnt stop their enjoyment!! It also seems that the female starting marshall has no problems getting the riders to line up quickly to race,its like she just she just gives them a couple of signals and their ready to race.Maybe the female touch does the trick and the riders do what their told!!!

Shame that the weather ruined the track and that it turned into a one line racestrip in the end.

Awesome crowd and atmosphere what a refreshing sight to see. At least there were a few decent heats as well.

However thank god sky are back in the EL next week as it's been a poor advert for PL racing this week.

what a load of rubbish! The elite league has plenty of poor meetings yet you choose to ignore them. Correct on Monday it wasn't great but you need 2 teams to make a meeting. Last night was what speedway should be about plenty of atmosphere and some good racing despite the weather.
  • Like 7

You get the train alright after i dropped you.

Aye it was just pulling into the platform , thanks . This Elite League speedway must be absolutely wonderful week after week , I might have to start watching it . There's more to speedway than just overtaking , the two rides by Lawson and Summers to shepherd their partner home , while having a Monarch snapping at their back wheel , was great to watch .

EL supporters like to be condescending towards the Premier League , but I don't bother about that too much , I love what we have at Glasgow .

• Like 5