British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pogo1

Glasgow V Edinburgh ,wednesday 29/6/16, Sky Sports 7.30pm

what a load of rubbish! Last night was what speedway should be about plenty of atmosphere and some good racing despite the weather.

Agree about the first part with the Glasgow promotion doing a fantastic job. The promotion have their eye on joining the big boys in the EL and for a club struggling a few seasons ago they have certainly turned the corner.

As for the racing, it was utter guff. Mostly follow the leader. Loads of holes to dive through but riders not capable of capitalising.

Loads of holes to dive through but riders not capable of capitalising.

Same as the Poole track then.

Fine,but the trouble with that thinking is you don't get the benefit of a rider who looked like he could have improved his average which at the end od the day every team is looking for.Jake Allen being another example Somerset took a chance and it looks like paying off. Garcia was also exciting to watch as he gave 100%.

Soon as Jake Allens average dropped to 5 Berwick should have signed him up been scoring good points everywhere for Somerset.
  • Like 1

Coty was released due to the British No 7 3pt average rule coming in which had we kepth him Berwick would have started season with 2 3pt average reserves. Thankfully he is a Berwick asset so hopefully will be recalled in the future.

It means nothing that he is a Berwick asset - riders will ride where they want to ride. If he has a great season with Glasgow and he wants to stay and they want to keep him - it will happen.

• Like 1

Great show from Glasgow last night; riders and fans as one. Nothing wrong with Danny Ayres going OTT with the celebrations if that's what he wants to do. Reminded me of TV's Gladiators where you have hero's and villains remember Wolf and Cobra etc..certainly the crowd lapped it up; if you pardon the pun.

If you had never seen Speedway before or had been away from it for a while; and tuned in; you might be forgiven for thinking "speedway seems to be in decent shape these days". Where can I see it where I live ?...

• Like 1

Gutted to miss this due to holiday but apartment WiFi and mobdro did the job. Yes racing wasn't awesome but as a spectacle it looked and sounded fantastic. Those criticising Danny are completely wrong. He is an absolute breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

It means nothing that he is a Berwick asset - riders will ride where they want to ride. If he has a great season with Glasgow and he wants to stay and they want to keep him - it will happen.

Totally agree with you if Coty is happy at Glasgow why leave a happy rider is a good rider.

I think Glasgow proved that you don't need to bribe fans to watch TV meetings. When EL tracks are covered by Sky their fee appears to be considerably higher than that received by the PL which does help cushion the blow of dropping prices to £10.

Without such financial assistance you can't blame Berwick and Glasgow for sticking to normal prices - and still got satisfactory or excellent crowds. Perhaps the rarity of such visits helps?

This of course leaves the question - why do the PL tracks get a lower fee?

Got to admit, I by far prefer watching Prem league racing over Elite league.

It's like watching Championship football compared to Premiership...quality without all the propaganda surrounding it...in other words, tell the public it's better entertainment enough times and they'll start believing it.

Prem league racing has an 'honesty' about it...with great entertainment and quality imo.

• Like 3

Agree about the first part with the Glasgow promotion doing a fantastic job. The promotion have their eye on joining the big boys in the EL and for a club struggling a few seasons ago they have certainly turned the corner.

As for the racing, it was utter guff. Mostly follow the leader. Loads of holes to dive through but riders not capable of capitalising.

Like the ones on bend/1/2 at Wimbourne Rd some of your comments are cringeworthy,as for Glasgow joining the bigboys a mediocre league i would welcome and love Glasgow to join it.

Like the ones on bend/1/2 at Wimbourne Rd some of your comments are cringeworthy,as for Glasgow joining the bigboys a mediocre league i would welcome and love Glasgow to join it.

To be honest with you the majority off fan's would rather stay put in the PL and as far as i see it Glasgow won't be rushing to go EL anytime soon, it is the old saying off if it's not broken why fix it there would need to be a whole restructure off the leagues to entice clubs like ours up to the so called Elite.

Will this happen anytime soon i doubt it to many people involved higher up more interested in there own self interest rather than what is the right thing to do for the sport.

Coty was released due to the British No 7 3pt average rule coming in which had we kepth him Berwick would have started season with 2 3pt average reserves. Thankfully he is a Berwick asset so hopefully will be recalled in the future.

The days off clubs telling riders were they are riding are long gone it is the riders that decide were and with whom they are riding.

Most if not all will go with the best package on offer i am sure that if Coty was given the choice he would remain at Glasgow no slight on Berwick he just seems to be loving life in Glasgow.

• Like 2

Personally feel we done a lot better than the scoreline suggests only 2 down after 10 against a decent tigers side until we kind of lost our way a bit in the end, mainly having gates 1&3 in those heats didn't exactly help as gate one was dreadful.

The atmosphere last night was different class all the glasgow fans with their horns and us with our big Drum, was really great to see. Shame that the rain ruined the track a little.

Garcia being the match winner for the tigers with what was probably his best meeting to date, Encouraging signs from Mark Riss and Dan Bewley both continuing to improve. Erik a little below par and Max after a decent heat 2 went back to his normal away form. Special mention has to go to the Fish different class night, that was the Fish of 2010 hopefully that is him coming into a bit of form.

Almost forgot, Danny Ayres, got to laugh cringe worthy celebration for winning the reserve race then beat off a wee boy in his next two rides and finally hooked from his last ride. Maybe used all his energy in that celebration.

• Like 1

I do not ignore the poor EL meetings at all and have never said all EL meetings are better than the PL so please don't put words in my mouth.

The EL meetings on sky this year have all been pretty good but there have been plenty of stinkers over the years.

Often when SKY cover the PL the matches are pretty good however what this week has proved is that the PL has poor and averages matches just like any other league.

You pretty much did p*ss on the PL parade though, "thank God we have EL next week" (or similar). So he/she wasn't exactly putting words in your mouth.

Same as the Poole track then.

Not really, their holes are for diving into rather than through,

Got to admit, I by far prefer watching Prem league racing over Elite league.

It's like watching Championship football compared to Premiership...quality without all the propaganda surrounding it...in other words, tell the public it's better entertainment enough times and they'll start believing it.

Prem league racing has an 'honesty' about it...with great entertainment and quality imo.

Great comparison with the Championship v Premiership, much more honesty and graft, no superstars..

The Elite League people could learn so much from whatever Glasgow did to generate that crowd last night, was a real throwback to the halcyon days of the 70's, had me remembering the BLRC's @ Hyde Rd and seeing coachloads of noisy Scots turning up for their annual party.

Well done Glasgow promotion, I didn't think there was a lot wrong with the racing either, not sure what some expect to see if they think that was rubbish, Fisher and Garcia were worth the admission price for their efforts and plenty of others gave their all.

As for Ayres after ht 2, brilliant, the main stand crowd absolutely loved it and they are the ones shelling out their hard earned, it all added to a decent evening's entertainment.

• Like 5

It is a long time since I saw a crowd like that at a speedway meeting over here. In the 60's and 70's that was a normal turn out at Long Eaton, if Glasgow can get the crowds in, no doubt it tokk a lot of work to get that many people to turn up on the night, then why can't all the other clubs manage to do the same, as far I see things they all do very little to get the word out there to the public.

There is very little in the way of advertising the mettings, not everyone looks on the computer to see if the club in thier town is racing on a given night, I very much doubt that most people do not even realise, that there is a speedway club in thier town or close to for that matter.

So unless they get of thier bums and get the word out and do something to bring in the crowds, then the sport will continue to fade.

Must say, that last night saw some great team riding, not something that is done often enough these days, to watch that to me is far better than all the fans who uless they see passes every race feel they have been done, but to see two riders take control of the race at the front is a skill that has sadley died. Great stuff to me it was a good meeting, as the track must have been very hard to ride last night withh all the rain they had.

Great stuff and great to see all the ffort that they have put in at Glasgow, the work they have done on the sadium is second to none and one the fans should be proud of.

• Like 4

Speedway seemed to gain a high profile fan last night as Charlie Austin of Southampton (football) tweeted 'for some reason I have been sucked into Speedway looks class' with riders such as Harris and Holder replying to him and being invited to Cardiff