British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilWatson

Coventry Storm V Birmingham - Sunday 26th June - 4pm

NEW signing Mitchell Davey can't wait to get started with Coventry Storm when they host National League leaders Birmingham at Brandon on Sunday (4pm).

Davey has joined the City Gearboxes Storm as a replacement for injured skipper Martin Knuckey, who is out for the rest of the season and Davey himself has undergone a frustrating wait to return to racing.

After a near two-year recovery from a broken leg, including five surgeries, there was then a further period of over six months to endure whilst he secured a British passport, which now enables him to race at NL level and also appear in the Premier League if selected.

Davey said: It wasn't until they brought out the ruling on Premier League No.7s for this season that I looked into it and realised that I could apply.

The process started a week or two after the BSPA conference last year, it was finally granted a week and a half ago, and it's an expensive process!

I was glad that once we spoke to the BSPA they confirmed I could ride in the National League, and that's a big help to me in getting back racing.

Obviously I want to help Coventry now, I want to help them progress to the best position they can in the National League. I don't want to just be coming because its the right time for me, I've joined the team now and I want to see them do the best they can.

I've never ridden at Coventry before but I've mechaniced for a few boys there, so my first time on Sunday will be interesting. I've done a few challenge matches so far and Testimonials, it might take me a race or so to get my gating hand back on, but I'm sure it will be okay.

I'm quite friendly with Liam Carr, I've spent a fair bit of time with him either riding with or against him, so it will be good to get in the team with him and the other boys, and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and helping them out.

I really want to come back into the sport, get racing and re-develop in speedway, and hopefully score plenty of points!

Davey slots into a Storm team which is still forced to operate the rider-replacement facility with Conor Dwyer facing a hopefully brief spell on the sidelines after his accident at Kent on Monday. Meanwhile, Robert Parker comes in at reserve with Jamie Halder not yet ready to resume.

The Brummies are still unbeaten in all competitions this season, and also have their eyes on defending a four-point lead at Kent in the second leg of the National Trophy Final on Monday.

The Perry Barr side are boosted by the returns of skipper Tom Perry and Tom Bacon after recent injury lay-offs, and they also track some of the best rising teenage talents in the sport, including 15-year-old Jack Parkinson-Blackburn who finished a sensational fourth in the British Under-21 Final.

The meeting starts at 4pm on Sunday, and an added attraction is the appearance of British Champion Danny King, complete with trophy.

King captained the Brummies in the Elite League between 2011 and 2014 before switching to the Buildbase Bees last year, and he will be available for autographs and photographs with supporters of both clubs during the interval.

Admission is £12 for all adults (students £5 on proof of status) with all under-16s free.

CITY GEARBOXES STORM (from): Liam Carr, Mitchell Davey, Conor Dwyer R/R, Dan Greenwood, Robert Parker, Ryan Terry-Daley, Callum Walker.

BIRMINGHAM (from): Tom Bacon, Jack Parkinson-Blackburn, Danyon Hume, Tom Perry, Darryl Ritchings, Jack Smith, Zach Wajtknecht

Edited by NeilWatson

Looking forward to seeing a full Brum septet again. Both Tom's looked comfortable enough during their aftermatch practice on Wednesday. Expecting a Brum win.

• Like 1

Omg - embarrassed or what ? to think I gave up my precious weekend hours and minutes to see a team that represents the city of Coventry - hold your heads in shame !!!!! Next time reckon if you gave ME 12 quid - that ain't enough. Too late for excuses !

• Like 1

Shocking result but not surprising.

The Coventry Storm team looked week at the start of the season but now with no Knuckey it looks dreadful.

This is the first year I have hardly attended the NL meetings.

Might as well knock it on the head. Not one of those riders would ever race EL for the bees if they were to continue after this season. Woeful

Might as well knock it on the head. Not one of those riders would ever race EL for the bees if they were to continue after this season. Woeful

Frankly, only 1 of them has much hope of being a PL rider! The whole Storm singing policy has been pretty damn weird since day 1.

This is the first year I have hardly attended the NL meetings.

Think many Coventry fans feel like that, as without the Brummies fans there today , probably looking at a crowd of a few hundred. How do they make NL racing pay on the crowds they get?

Obviously after the drubbing the storm got today it's hardly gonna help that. It's a shame to be honest.

Really pleased with Brummies, after being a bit lacklustre on Wednesday, can't fault any of them. Shocked by how good Perry and Bacon were after 3 or so weeks off.

As for Coventry they were poor, Davey was good but what happened to Greenwood. Hope he's like that tomorrow guesting for Kent.

Also what are people's thoughts regarding Jack Smith's exclusion. Excluded for going round the start gate post on the centre green when the tapes were down. I know there is a rule saying you can't go on the centre green but I thought it was to cut across. Has anyone seen riders do that and not get excluded for it. Anyway JPB did exactly the same thing just moments before Smith and wasn't excluded.

Bit of a joke that Davey's allowed in the NL really.

• Like 1

I think your forecast of 'knocking it on the head' is right judging by the latest Storm badge. :neutral: After 2015 I was surprised they ran this season anyway but it's a real shame they don't get better support ~ not surprising though as Coventry fans, like most others, like to see a winning team and this one has been pretty weak all year. Even the racing was not so good today and there seemed to be some strange refereeing decisions. I do have a new favourite rider though ~ Danyon Hume whoever he is. Never heard of him before but his style seemed similar to Chris Harris so that's good enough for me. :lol:

Edited by Gemini
  • Like 1

Bit of a joke that Davey's allowed in the NL really.

Sadly if he now has a British passport I don't think the BSPA could stop it officially. I'm still disappointed Coventry signed him though

I do have a new favourite rider though ~ Danyon Hume whoever he is. Never heard of him before...............................

Many Brummies fans think Danyon is the signing of the season for us - thoroughly likeable young man who seems to be enjoying himself immensely.

• Like 2

The whole Storm singing policy has been pretty damn weird since day 1.

Well if they're just signing good looking lads with decent voices then they deserve all they get really.

• Like 2

I do have a new favourite rider though ~ Danyon Hume whoever he is. Never heard of him before but his style seemed similar to Chris Harris so that's good enough for me. :lol:

Gem, he rode for Rye House Raiders last year but think fell out with them over the winter, Ipswich brought him and he is our official no.8. CL has taken him under his guidance and is often at Foxhall after meetings and as you saw he rides for Birmingham in NL also he's in the Poultec training scheme.

• Like 1

It's been a while since I have attended a storm meeting. I think it may be an even longer ''while'' before I go again. Such a shame -- 2 seasons ago I couldn't wait to attend. Sad.