British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeilWatson

Coventry V Kings Lynn -monday 11th July - 7.30pm

The crowd wasn't great but don't think it was as pitiful as it looked at first. Never been to Brandon but it always looks huge on the TV. Incredible meeting at times though. Barker's heat 9 was unmissable.

At this stage I can't see either of them making the playoffs, but who knows.

Just got back from the meeting tonight ...

First 6 Heats - not the best start to the night !

After that - Should've had a 5-1 when Sarjeant fell off and even then should've been a 3-3 Ref too early in putting red lights on ...

Poor performances from both Bees reserves ( 1 ride excepted from Woryna in Ht12 )

Match Winner for Kings Lynn .. not NKI nor Batch but Jakobsen ? Where did he come from - paid 11 from first 4 rides - never even seen the place before !! Top performance from the guy.

As for Bees - too late now but sorry Woryna not the answer this year and should have gone weeks ago for a 6.5ish man ... may come good in the future but have we got a future ? Should have replaced Sarj with Adam Roynon also but hey ho - who cares anymore ?

Have to say Management very quick to apologise for riders 'poor' performances when we all know this team is not up to it - all except our management seem to know it at any rate - maybe the management should be apologising for the inadequate team they have put together this year - a full 2 points or so below the start limit !!

People have a pop a Havelock but love him or hate him you need people like him in todays bland world of sportsman.He gets punters talking about his bizarre camera antics,but then win people over with his passion for the sport and straight forward talking.I cant work him out but i would rather have him around the sport then not.Special mention to Josh Bates who despite having stupid rules against him that he has to ride in the main body of the team,rather then to spend a season at reserve,still continues to progress in the sport.Fair play to him.

Excuse me but ..... YESSSSSSSSSSSSS

Careful, you'll have that Ipswich supporter telling you how unsportsmanlike it is to celebrate your team winning!!! :lol:

• Like 1

I don't know why, but this season we have had some wonderful meetings on Sky. Last night was no differrent. I always thought we were capable of winning at Brandon, but when Lambert cried off, I thought our chances had gone. In the end we got the result we wanted, but not before Coventry gave us some anxious moments. I think the fact we were the away team and raced to a 16 pt lead, we deserved that success. Not counting any chickens yet, but the season is only half done and there is plenty of time to climb up that table before those PO places are defined. That also goes to Coventry as well. Nothings sorted yet

Coventry's team is blessed with 3 good heat leaders and two decent second strings.( Garrity & Bates) The reserves appear weak. As Busk Jacobsen, proved last night, there are some decent riders out there that would do a good job given the opportunity. It wouldn't take a lot to make the Bees a top 4 side.....

The disappointment of the poor crowd is nothing new. Usually when the cameras are in town the attendance drops. In this day and age when Money is tight, fans will take the cheaper option and watch it from their arm chair. Especially when they have 2 meetings in a week.... The problem here is the lack of promotion of letting the meeting be known. Without knowing the ins and out of the financial implication of having a televised meeting, one has to wonder the viability of such meetings to the promoter. If the club benefits big time from these meetings, than why not open the door for all and sundry hoping to generate Interest to new people, added atmosphere for the occasion and a better perception to all those watching.. If they don't benefit from these meeting then its time to rethink their involvement

SKY could help speedway big time by paying more for our product. Nobody really wants to be sitting at home watching on the box when their team are racing, do they? But the promoters need to entice us, perhaps entry by donation might work? But we need SKY to put in more big time, a fraction of what bloody football costs them would help immensely!

Great meeting after a shocking start so glad I went in the end, Bees are a 4 man team as the lower order are as much as they try just not up to it. Scoring well for Ipswich I would have thought Sarj at reserve would have been in the points but he was miles behind and when he did get out he fell off. Woryna wins a reserve race and is pulling wheelies like he has won heat 15, he should be all over the riders he is up against and winning both reserve races at home Minimum others are hitting double figures and ours are no where near the top teams. We are where we deserve to be in the league.

The Monday after Cardiff, 2 meetings in a week and it's on TV? hmmm :neutral: can see why the crowd was down but at £10 and what we are trying to achieve it didn't look great and no banners were really shown on tv from the brief look I had when I got home, Brandon is a big place to make look full at the best of times, its not like Wolverhampton for example where you have the main straight or the main straight to view from. Unless they do the same at Brandon then it will look empty.

Edited by Coventry_Bee
  • Like 1

Perhaps that is the way to go for SKY meetings, cordoned 2/3 of stadium off.

Excellent result for the Stars. Had a sneaky feeling they would get a win at Brandon last night. If Rob Lambert had been available I could have even seen them taking all 4 points. R/R only produced 4 points, so have to think he would have been worth more than that.

well done kings lynn for holding on.

you cannot win meetings with a team containing four reserves.

in the first 9 races 12 of the home positions were taken up by reserves, and you wonder why the bees so far behind, we have a national league team up until heat 10!

its all a bit sad and depressing to think this could be the last season with such a poor team,

yes i was one who paid to go!

• Like 2

I have followed the bees for over 40 mostly glorious years and have attended and supported through thick and thin but the time has come to say no more . Neil Watson fair play to him in the past had come in here and told us the truth and I take my hat off to him for that but recently he skirts around any issues and questions about whys and wherefores but I am pleading with him has the current promotion literally given up this year??

Edited by muffinman
  • Like 2

Clubs often run two meetings in a week when one of their meetings is on Sky with often an (understandable) dreadful crowd attending the TV meeting...

Yet will plan in to have weeks and weeks and weeks without a match....

More self inflicted pain that really shouldnt be beyond sorting....

SKY could help speedway big time by paying more for our product. Nobody really wants to be sitting at home watching on the box when their team are racing, do they? But the promoters need to entice us, perhaps entry by donation might work? But we need SKY to put in more big time, a fraction of what bloody football costs them would help immensely!

if you read the news lately you'll see Sky are actually cutting costs and in some places programmes from there sports portfolio because they have massively overpaid for the football.

Speedway is in a precarious position when the Sky deal ends as I can't see Sky wanting to pay more to renew the deal, if anything they'll want to pay less

Joe1986- With regards to Speedway on Sky in 2017 as although there is a contract for next year it all depends on what the promotors finalise with regards to league structure and clubs taking part especially with uncertainties about a few EL clubs like Coventry,Leicester,Swindon and Lakeside