Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Yes the tickets are expensive, yes the beers are over priced, and maybe the track doesn't always produce the the best racing, but I look forward to the event every year and always enjoy the racing, chatting with other speedway fans and soaking up the atmosphere in the stadium. Bring on 2018.

(Must admit I do miss Nicki P, always the controversial figure and gets the crowd going)! 😉

Edited by Vonny
  • Like 3

Rugby matches tend to start mid afternoon, allowing more people to travel home the same day

In recent years, the Wales rugby team have had Friday night matches, as well as 5pm kick off's, and this will continue into the future, with the rotating kick-off times that the 6 Nations fixtures produce. So that's only a limited answer,

My friends from Germany estimate a 3.5 hour driving time to Felixtowe to get on the Chunnel train, so given that kind of distance radius in that kind of time, most people from south of the Pennines could have driven home after the event if they had wanted to.

Last year I got a very handy B&B in Cardiff, a short bus ride from the stadium, via the Airbnb web site for just £25, booked 2 weeks before the event. So there are alternatives out there if you look for them.

Tickets CAN be expensive as they are for world class events but £60 for 2 adults is imo fantastic value

re polish fans yes there noisy yes they wave flags yes they get hammered but amen to all that

really wanted woofie to win but for me he just seems slightly off, child on the way new home etc other far more important things on his mind

Far too soon to right him off & whatever you think of Tai he is by far the most charismatic & media savvy rider today imo

• Like 2

...re polish fans yes there noisy yes they wave flags yes they get hammered but amen to all that...

Disgusting behaviour. Why can't they just sit quietly in their folding camping chairs, and enjoy a nice cup of tea and a cucumber sandwich stored in thier tupperware boxes that they keep in their Adidas bags, like us civilised British fans eh?

:nono:

• Like 6

Personally I thought the crowd seemed slightly down on recent years, though lots of people got to their seats later than normal - maybe due to the searches and that they ran out of programmes and people I heard had to wait while they quickly printed some more off.

I thought the racing was pretty good, though I still feel 2010 was the best racing we saw at Cardiff. However, the track held up pretty well, which the time for heat 18 as quick as heat 1. No sign of any blue groove appearing, which shows they are finally getting the temporary tracks right.

• Like 1

Yes the tickets are expensive, yes the beers are over priced, and maybe the track doesn't always produce the the best racing, but I look forward to the event every year and always enjoy the racing, chatting with other speedway fans and soaking up the atmosphere in the stadium. Bring on 2018.

(Must admit I do miss Nicki P, always the controversial figure and gets the crowd going)!

Some of the biggest cheers in the past have been when Nicki P has been excluded for falling off his bike after a soft contact when he could have stayed on and kept going. I must admit his antics have been missed.

• Like 2

Tickets were cheaper than last year. Paid £25 on the day. What other big sporting event can you get in as cheaply? Fantastic value for money.

• Like 5

Enjoyed last night meeting, heat 11 has to be up there as one of the greatest heats at Cardiff. Janowski impressive. Cook seems to have lost all confidence sticking to the inside line. Bates getting a 2nd was another highlight for me. Tai shouldve made the semis comfortably but doing a lap of honour was pretty embarrassing to be honest, as was him being seen munching a McDonald's last night.

In fairness he's not the first to do that. Tony Rickardsson quite often did a lap of honour after being knocked out of a GP.

Woffinden didn't get as big cheers as in recent seasons though. Personally I think he's allowed himself to get a bit distracted by the dispute with the BSPA

Tickets CAN be expensive as they are for world class events but £60 for 2 adults is imo fantastic value

re polish fans yes there noisy yes they wave flags yes they get hammered but amen to all that

really wanted woofie to win but for me he just seems slightly off, child on the way new home etc other far more important things on his mind

Far too soon to right him off & whatever you think of Tai he is by far the most charismatic & media savvy rider today imo

Agree I like woffy he gets a bit of stick on here he goes out does a lap of honour to thank the fans for supporting him and gets stick if he had nt he d have still got some stick

Just like you I think he s got a different set of priorities at the moment

Think the top 3 are pulling away the next one in Sweden is the home track of magic and dudek which makes it interesting

I do wonder if Cardiff would gain by having a slightly earlier start time say 3 or 4pm

The reason for this is public transport if you had the meeting a bit earlier more people would be able to get back by train.

At present it was ok if you wanted to get back to Swindon or London but couldn't get any further than that but yet by changing it by just an hour would enable people to get connections back via London to Midlands for Leicester,Wolves,Birmingham,Manchester & ,Sheffield in the North Eastbourne,Kent,Rye House,Lakeside and Poole in South and Ipswich,Kings Lynn and Peterborough in the East

I do think this would help increase the attendance as people are put off driving due to delays getting in and out of Cardiff and then finding somewhere to park plus then you can have a few drinks if you want as well.

To me it would be worth BSI trying this to see if the attendance does increase and I think it would

Tickets were cheaper than last year. Paid £25 on the day. What other big sporting event can you get in as cheaply? Fantastic value for money.

Baffles me when I hear people say we should ditch Cardiff as its too expensive and then contradict themselves by saying they should take it back to Wembley.........

• Like 2

I switched it on after half an hour looking to see if a GP was on not knowing it was the British GP. Glad I did because it was a good meeting. But what on earth has happened to British speedway? Josh Bates and Adam Ellis as GP reserves? Great ride by JB all the same but only because I like to see a good underdog.having a go.

I do wonder if Cardiff would gain by having a slightly earlier start time say 3 or 4pm

The reason for this is public transport if you had the meeting a bit earlier more people would be able to get back by train.

At present it was ok if you wanted to get back to Swindon or London but couldn't get any further than that but yet by changing it by just an hour would enable people to get connections back via London to Midlands for Leicester,Wolves,Birmingham,Manchester & ,Sheffield in the North Eastbourne,Kent,Rye House,Lakeside and Poole in South and Ipswich,Kings Lynn and Peterborough in the East

I do think this would help increase the attendance as people are put off driving due to delays getting in and out of Cardiff and then finding somewhere to park plus then you can have a few drinks if you want as well.

To me it would be worth BSI trying this to see if the attendance does increase and I think it would

It would seem to make sense to give an earlier time a go, If I am correct they have already moved it one hour earlier so more people can get the train after the event, and if BT was ok with it many more fans might attend.

that they ran out of programmes and people I heard had to wait while they quickly printed some more off.

Quickly printed some more - really??

'Big sporting event'... :lol::lol::lol:

Day 1 at a Lord's test match is a big event.

Silverstone is a big event.

Wimbledon is a big event.

Not the Cardiff GP.

Edited by Jeremy Corbyn Fan
  • Like 2