British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Swedish Grand Prix Malilla Sunday August 14th 2016

How would you class Jason's gating? it wasn't bad was it but my memories of him was being a terrific racer good from the back.Both him and Gollob both overcome heartache to reach there dream Crumps record in the Series is outstanding.I was lucky to have seen him race quite alot over his career a proper racer.

I'd say he was an ok gater, not as good as Greg or Nicki. But he could pull them out from time to time, when he got his 7 ride max at Cardiff 6 were from the gate i think. I just wonder how many riders (past and present) really practice their starts? Not just before a race but during the week, time allowing obviously

I'd say he was an ok gater, not as good as Greg or Nicki. But he could pull them out from time to time, when he got his 7 ride max at Cardiff 6 were from the gate i think. I just wonder how many riders (past and present) really practice their starts? Not just before a race but during the week, time allowing obviously

I often wonder that myself is it just a natural skill gating or can you improve it by hours of practice.Kilby/Mauger ( who was sublime can't remember him rearing at the start) were the best gaters i ever saw ride.

I often wonder that myself is it just a natural skill gating or can you improve it by hours of practice.Kilby/Mauger ( who was sublime can't remember him rearing at the start) were the best gaters i ever saw ride.

I'd say it was a combination...Mauger always said he found gating natural but i would imagine the more practice thats put in the better you get. And when you consider the obvious advantage reaching the 1st and 2nd bends first gives you I never get why more attention isn't paid to it. I can think of a few riders over the past decade (the 2 most obvious being British) who whilst not World Champion material have surely made things that much more difficult for themselves by being poor gaters

Totally irrelevent

Whats relevent is that from March - September in individual grand prixs that have the best riders in the world he currently is the most consistent and therefore if he is still in that place at the end of the series he is a worthy world champion and the best rider in the world.

League averages can be false and doesnt factor in any real pressure like there is in a gp.

Leigh Adams was always top of most averages in most countrys yet never won the world title.

Yes and a perfect example of a truly great rider 😊 World Champion or no World Champion.

Any one know what the official attendance was for Saturdauy night/Sunday morning?

It didnt look hugh - maybe 7000?

If thats the case - could the UK take another GP? Say at Belle Vue with its extra stand taking crowd up to 9k-10k - it would be a sell out, and TV viewing would be great.....full stadium and great racing.

Belle Vue GP would have to be in the dryer part of the season......(thats a problem) ...... perhaps June/july with Cardiff moving earlier/later?

Would it be a goer?

If thats the case - could the UK take another GP?

Would it be a goer?

No and No.As Phil has told us year after year,Cardiff has a special place in the calendar.Two GPs and the worry is people will pick and choose and they cannot afford that to happen.

• Like 1

As a layman regarding speedway one thing i have never understood is how riders can bemoan conditions,set ups, engines etc yet never seek to improve their gating techniques. Pedersen pretty much gated to his titles and Hancock is a fantastic gater. It seems like thats the elephant in the room and its too easy to blame the bike or the track rather than think you know what if i made the gate i may get a few more points.....

IMO they can gate or not they are maybe able to hone the skill if they have it !!!

Edited by FAST GATER

Hancock has also adapted better to the machine changes over the yrs as well...

Spot on that is one of the key elements of any riders longevity

No and No.As Phil has told us year after year,Cardiff has a special place in the calendar.Two GPs and the worry is people will pick and choose and they cannot afford that to happen.

For me now there is a place for both now, Belle Vue would sell out still. Edited by Sidney the robin