Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DutchGrasstrack

2017 Grand Prix Venues

Thought so, totally different emotion when you have a team.

I'm finding that the less riders who race here who compete in the WC, the less I care about watching GPs, with one or two exceptions.

GP wins hands down everytime for me, over local league matches!?

Main thing is you support your local club though. U may love the GPS but don't let ya club die .....

I'm all new to Speedway in general. My partner is a big Diamonds fan. We live in Hartlepool and have visited Brough Park 8 or 9 times this season. My first speedway meeting was the Cardiff GP. Instantly I was hooked, and I am doing the better halves head in as I just want to get as much speedway in as possible. Been to Redcar also since Cardiff.

I must say, I prefer the local riding as you feel part of the whole experience a lot more. Closer to the track, smell the fumes, knowing your supporting your club buying merchandise, food & drink etc. I think this is probably following my football roots - I support my local team Hartlepool, and not one of the big teams around us - Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough. It would be so easy to do that.

Now I was instantly hooked, and I introduced my 14 year old god son who is also hooked. He's wanting to explore the avenues of trying his hand at riding. I am looking to fix this for him next season. Where I am going is I think it is vital everyone supports the local teams, however the GPs are great. If the sport ends up flooded with GPs, local teams will suffer and ultimately the GPs also, as the quality and number of riders will demise.

The Netherlands is easy to get to from anywhere in Western Europe...good road network and cheap flights to Amsterdam from very many airports should ensure a good crowd.

• Like 1

The Netherlands is easy to get to from anywhere in Western Europe...good road network and cheap flights to Amsterdam from very many airports should ensure a good crowd.

It would certainly get my interest, flights from Edinburgh to Amsterdam look pretty reasonable.

USA would be great but no one is prepared to put the money up to pay for it. Ask the promoters in Finland if the GP there was worth it

USA would be great but no one is prepared to put the money up to pay for it. Ask the promoters in Finland if the GP there was worth it

the track in Finland was rubbish. a good track should sell the event

the track in Finland was rubbish. a good track should sell the event

Yep, but the SGP organisers shouldn't have approved a GP there then. A number of people on here observed the stadium didn't look conducive to good racing, and we even had Philippe on here making excuses about it before it was even run, so one wonders how it passed muster in the first place. Similarly for the Riga stadium which had to be rebuilt from a dilapidated state and which no-one seems to have bothered to inspect in advance, far less run a trial meeting (which at least Finland managed).

Bottom line is that it comes down to who's prepared to put up the bucks. Would have thought the best bet in the Netherlands would the Amsterdam Olympic Stadium (which is outdoors) or the Gelredome in Arnhem, but there's only a small fanbase in the country and any GP would have to rely heavily on travelling fans.

Yep, but the SGP organisers shouldn't have approved a GP there then. A number of people on here observed the stadium didn't look conducive to good racing, and we even had Philippe on here making excuses about it before it was even run, so one wonders how it passed muster in the first place. Similarly for the Riga stadium which had to be rebuilt from a dilapidated state and which no-one seems to have bothered to inspect in advance, far less run a trial meeting (which at least Finland managed).

Bottom line is that it comes down to who's prepared to put up the bucks. Would have thought the best bet in the Netherlands would the Amsterdam Olympic Stadium (which is outdoors) or the Gelredome in Arnhem, but there's only a small fanbase in the country and any GP would have to rely heavily on travelling fans.

The facilities and location of the stadium in Tampere were far better than the vast majority on the GP circuit. The promoters also managed to generate a decent crowd for the GP in 2014.

Unfortunately, the track was awful. As far too many people observed, it was far too narrow and far too long down each of the straights, to generate any sort of passing lines. The sight of spectactors leaving en masse as the racing continued in 2014 from the poor fair served up was memorable for all of the wrong reasons.

Equally, I would imagine that even if an alternative venue could be found in Finland to stage a GP, there would be unlikely to be any would be promoters willing to take a punt on staging an event. This would leave BSI/IMG themselves as the only potential promoters, but they are far happier milking the GP series for whatever they can generate as staging fees than taking a risk on running a GP in a less established speedway nation.

Teterow will sign a contract for GP until 2019

It did not at Gothenburg

Ullevi have never been a good venue or track. Too big stadium and the track had the same problems as Tammerfors had. Both were built on top an athletics track which isn't a very good shape.

Don't understand why they can't get a SGP in the States. They need to think outside the box, it doesn't just have to be in California. Metlife Stadium (home of NY Giants & Jets NFL teams) has held Monster Energy Supercross there the last few years. It's not exactly a hotbed area for that sport. Why not try there? Or Red Bull Stadium, 15 mins from Manhattan, HUGE polish community nearby. Or anywhere in the other 48 states they could look into They all have multi purpose stadiums that they want to fill, With the right promotion they could have a successful event. It seems odd to me they don't want to crack America, especially with Hancock still riding high.

Edited by RPNYC

RPNYC, staging a GP in USA is a pretyy big gamble so FIM/BSI won't do anything unless there is a local promoter willing to take the risk.

Don't understand why they can't get a SGP in the States. They need to think outside the box

Think outside the box? Someone just needs to stump up the readies which clearly no-one is willing to do.

HUGE polish community nearby.

Not sure why people think Polish communities would be interested. Speedway is a largely regional sport in Poland and most Poles have little or no interest in it.

Or anywhere in the other 48 states they could look into

I somehow don't think North Dakota would be a very attractive proposition... ;)