Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DutchGrasstrack

2017 Grand Prix Venues

I was always surprised it never took off in Spain either. They like their Motorcycles down there, perfect climate. All arrows pointed to it being a popular - other than no one had any interest hahahaha

• Like 1

I was always surprised it never took off in Spain either. They like their Motorcycles down there, perfect climate. All arrows pointed to it being a popular - other than no one had any interest hahahaha

Russell Paine built a track and wanted to get started,but it seemed corrupt local politicians and getting robbed at gun point put him off

• Like 1

I hope they go to Latvia for a GP

Spain is a perfect location for speedway. Would be good to have a speedway support class at their yearly big flattrack meeting in Barcelona :)

I hope they go to Latvia for a GP

IRONICALLY the stadium in Riga which was used for the ill-fated SGP there stages an IMG Rallycross event this weekend with the speedway circuit being used as the fanzone.

IRONICALLY the stadium in Riga which was used for the ill-fated SGP there stages an IMG Rallycross event this weekend with the speedway circuit being used as the fanzone.

So what happened to 'the Latvian GP is likely to back in Riga in 2016'?

Sort of like it was ironic that a week or two after the GPs in Gelsenkirchen,the stadium hosted a stock car event and was sold out year after year :t:

Sort of like it was ironic that a week or two after the GPs in Gelsenkirchen,the stadium hosted a stock car event and was sold out year after year :t:

Did Gustix go?

• Like 2

I went to that (non) GP and 8 years on with no explanation still kind of pssed off about it.

• Like 1

I went to that (non) GP and 8 years on with no explanation still kind of pssed off about it.

I was lucky enough to go to the one that went ahead.A mate of mine came over from Manchester for the second one.Just happy i didn't bother.But one of the biggest scandals in the sport of recent years.Bad enough that,but to then follow it with a few others was too much and heads at the top should have rolled

Bad enough that,but to then follow it with a few others was too much and heads at the top should have rolled

I think they did ultimately. There was something of a movement of staff after the Warsaw fiasco, although Philipe told us it wasn't related.

Wasn't the official explanation that the shale wasn't stored in the right pyramid shaped conditions? Or was that another indoor GP I'm thinking about, or both? ;)

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

I wish you hadn`t reminded me of that meeting - me and friends were further inconvienced with our flight late on Sunday night from Weeze being cancelled by that marvellous airline Ryanair !!!!!!

I think they did ultimately. There was something of a movement of staff after the Warsaw fiasco, although Philipe told us it wasn't related.

Wasn't the official explanation that the shale wasn't stored in the right pyramid shaped conditions? Or was that another indoor GP I'm thinking about, or both? ;)

That was the official reason but I still don't believe it. Plus there was a column in the SS about a month previous saying the rumor mill was already churning that it was going to be called off! I'm a massive fan of the GP's (unlike yourself!) but that one in particular left somewhat of a sour taste. I traveled to Warsaw and although it was annoying and somewaht of an embarassement you could tell it was Rookie errors, stuborn riders and a combination of misfortune that led to its premature ending. Gelsenkirchen... there was something fishy there!

So what happened to 'the Latvian GP is likely to back in Riga in 2016'?

HAD better options including Teterow...

WHAT movement of staff?

That was the official reason but I still don't believe it. Plus there was a column in the SS about a month previous saying the rumor mill was already churning that it was going to be called off! I'm a massive fan of the GP's (unlike yourself!) but that one in particular left somewhat of a sour taste. I traveled to Warsaw and although it was annoying and somewaht of an embarassement you could tell it was Rookie errors, stuborn riders and a combination of misfortune that led to its premature ending. Gelsenkirchen... there was something fishy there!

SORRY Russ but you are wrong. Next time we have a pint I will give you chapter and verse.