British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DutchGrasstrack

2017 Grand Prix Venues

TERENZANO from day one ... terrible track, riders hated it, no crowd ... said so at the time

I guess Terenzano weren't getting you to do the programmes there...?

THAT was true but by the end of a long, very hot day and countless beers it was probably inevitable. No re;l harm done and the stewarding (or lack of it) is an issue that will be addressed should the series return there in 2017.

If you are in contact with people who make the decisions,you might want to mention the poor signs to the stadium/car park(s) Phil.I have seen comments on the net about it and know from personal experience.that they are not the best.The time i went to the Grass track and then the speedway afterwards i came to the town and there were signs in 2 different directions to car park #1+2.Never having been before i think i chose #1 as you do and ended up on a tour around the countryside that must have lasted another 30 minutes or so.Obviously the wrong choice and that was my fault.But when i left early i found there were no signs showing me my way back!!!! And i rode around the country lanes in the dark for ages before finally finding the main road.

It seems from a few comments that this situation hasn't really improved much,although nowadays people should have a navigation system.....

NO doubt we would have got lost, literally, without our sat-nav, although we did find the car park okay.

There were, obviously, many things that weren't quite right but tracks like this when staging an event the magnitude of a SGP for the first time, rarely tick all the boxes.

Hopefully, if they get a second chance, and take note of the BSI post-mortem, which I'm sure they will, things will improve.

What I do know is that they put in a huge effect, the pits were first class, new dressing rooms were built, plenty of places to get food and drink.

Years ago, have attended many meetings in Germany with the likes of Briggs and Ivan, in 'fields' like this I thought its was a fun weekend. Even found some good places to eat in Teterow having previously been told there weren't any.

• Like 1

NO doubt we would have got lost, literally, without our sat-nav, although we did find the car park okay.

There were, obviously, many things that weren't quite right but tracks like this when staging an event the magnitude of a SGP for the first time, rarely tick all the boxes.

Hopefully, if they get a second chance, and take note of the BSI post-mortem, which I'm sure they will, things will improve.

What I do know is that they put in a huge effect, the pits were first class, new dressing rooms were built, plenty of places to get food and drink.

Years ago, have attended many meetings in Germany with the likes of Briggs and Ivan, in 'fields' like this I thought its was a fun weekend. Even found some good places to eat in Teterow having previously been told there weren't any.

Just passing on a thought.Something that happened to me a decade ago and seems is still happening now.You would have thought the promoter had enough experience especially as the Grass track meeting attracts around 20,000 i think and used to attract around 100,000 over the 2 days.But have to hold my hand up to not having mentioned my lack of orientation around the Teterow country lanes to anyone at the track.In fact i had forgotten about it until i read the comments on FB today,looking for anything about rowdy fans.....

Probably robbed me of the chance to see Kelvin and Banks on the famous grass track what with the extra 30 minutes to get to the car park and then the 20 minutes or so to get from there to the track

Edited by iris123

I have been to most tracks that have staged a Grand Prix and Teterow was probably the worst.

Just a few things I observed:-

A totally disorganised car park.

One tiny gate to let those standing on the third and fourth turns in. It took a twenty minute crush to move about 20 feet! No signs though indicating this was the right queue and countless fans where turned back and had to fight there way back through those still queuing.

I saw people in wheelchairs only able to get up a steep grass bank into the stadium with the help of other fans.

No programmes on sale inside.

Nowhere I could find sold a bottle of still water!

Fireworks being hurled onto the track with no action taken to prevent it!

Fans walking on and off the track/ centre green as they pleased during the rider ceremonies.

From what I saw there was a lot that needs improvement.

Not sure I'll bother again though.

SPENT most of the weekend with Kelvin, who is a hero in Germany, and Nigel P. Lots of laughs. Also had a first every opportunity to see a film of one of Kelvin's four wins on the 'big' track where his dad Martin also won in 1961 I believe. Boy, you had to have balls to do that on a speedway bike, albeit a modified one to take into account the four righthand corners.

Even Briggo, who was in our hotel and likes to give Kelvin plenty of stick, grudgingly admitted his admiration for his Teterow achievements.

I have been to most tracks that have staged a Grand Prix and Teterow was probably the worst.
Just a few things I observed:-
A totally disorganised car park.
One tiny gate to let those standing on the third and fourth turns in. It took a twenty minute crush to move about 20 feet! No signs though indicating this was the right queue and countless fans where turned back and had to fight there way back through those still queuing.
I saw people in wheelchairs only able to get up a steep grass bank into the stadium with the help of other fans.
No programmes on sale inside.
Nowhere I could find sold a bottle of still water!
Fireworks being hurled onto the track with no action taken to prevent it!
Fans walking on and off the track/ centre green as they pleased during the rider ceremonies.
From what I saw there was a lot that needs improvement.
Not sure I'll bother again though.

HAVE passed on your comments to BSI ...

WembleyLion, as for the bottled still water I don't think that you would be able to find that at a Swedish track either,

Afaik, only slightly ccarbonated water is available since people don't buy bottled still water.

How long have BSI been organising GPs now? Why is it things always have to be improved after the fact, rather than before it?

Only last week you were telling me I had no idea how much effort does into organising a GP, and yet here once again, several people on here alone are telling you basic things for the paying customer seem not to have been arranged or even checked in advance.

I'd accept that a track organising a big event for the first time might not have the experience of doing it, but that's part of the role of the 'franchiser' to work with them to help get things right. And as Iris points out, Teterow surely has long experience of putting on big grass track events?

Years ago, have attended many meetings in Germany with the likes of Briggs and Ivan, in 'fields' like this I thought its was a fun weekend.

I've been to plenty of enjoyable sporting events in fields, but you wouldn't expect the FA Cup Final to be held on a park pitch, would you? Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

How long have BSI been organising GPs now? Why is it things always have to be improved after the fact, rather than before it?

Only last week you were telling me I had no idea how much effort does into organising a GP, and yet here once again, several people on here alone are telling you basic things for the paying customer seem not to have been arranged or even checked in advance.

I'd accept that a track organising a big event for the first time might not have the experience of doing it, but that's part of the role of the 'franchiser' to work with them to help get things right. And as Iris points out, Teterow surely has long experience of putting on big grass track events?

I've been to plenty of enjoyable sporting events in fields, but you wouldn't expect the FA Cup Final to be held on a park pitch, would you?

YOU can bring a horse to water but you cannot make it drink. There was a huge security staff but sadly they weren't up to the job when push came to shove. The lack of tyres was caused by the local Mitas dealer not making the necessary arrangements. The best laid plans, etc, etc.

Park pitch? The riders had no real problems with the track, especially after such a long hot day. It only got tricky when the water tanker driver suddenly decided that he was enjoying himself so much that he would do a few extra laps despite the protestations of Phil Morris, who nearly got mowed down trying to stop him!

Park pitch? The riders had no real problems with the track, especially after such a long hot day. It only got tricky when the water tanker driver suddenly decided that he was enjoying himself so much that he would do a few extra laps despite the protestations of Phil Morris, who nearly got mowed down trying to stop him!

I thought SpeedSport was supposed to be in charge of the track?

You miss my point about the park pitch though. I've played on some decent surfaces even in parks, but you wouldn't take the FA Cup Final (or even an Extra Preliminary Round for that matter!) to somewhere with park facilities.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

I thought SpeedSport was supposed to be in charge of the track?

You miss my point about the park pitch though. I've played on some decent surfaces even in parks, but you wouldn't take the FA Cup Final (or even an Extra Preliminary Round for that matter!) to somewhere with park facilities.

SPEEDSPORT are only involved with temporary tracks.

I've been to plenty of enjoyable sporting events in fields, but you wouldn't expect the FA Cup Final to be held on a park pitch, would you?

Good post

One thing i would say is for sure we all went to tracks in fields(i remember Mildenhall in the early 80s for instance,was quite a shock to someone used to Plough Lane,White City,Wembley,Hackney etc)and i guess a lot of us went to the old football grounds where people just urinated against the wall as the queues to get into the inadequate toilet 'facilities' were horrendous and the pushing and shoving on the terraces was just accepted even to the extent you were carried alongby the crowd and your feet wouldn't be touching the ground.But that was then and we generally just don't accept facilities tha were ok in the 40s and 50s and outdated and dangerous by the 70s and 80s.It is bad enough for a league meeting etc,but i think fans expect a higher quality for a GP venue

Having said that i go back to my previous comment that i hope a 3 year contract might be the boost teterow need to make some major improvements