British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Len Silver - Last Of A Dying Breed

Just now, Paulco said:

Isle of Wight seem to have the type of forward thinking promotion set up that the sport needs . Any chance of them bringing their energy back up to the second tier again ?

Long trip down my friend but you should try them out. They are a truly remarkable outfit, setting a standard that shames much of the rest of the sport. 

Its pretty much characterised by their promoters willingness to come on here and engage with us all - not the 'utterly without credibility' stance of other teams.

I'll see if I can get him to respond to you - knowing him a bit, the sky's the limit for the Warriors but this isn't a man who will pour good money after bad for one single second.

Huge enthusiasm but financial accountability. There's a novelty :D

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Halifaxtiger said:

Long trip down my friend but you should try them out. They are a truly remarkable outfit, setting a standard that shames much of the rest of the sport. 

Its pretty much characterised by their promoters willingness to come on here and engage with us all - not the 'utterly without credibility' stance of other teams.

I'll see if I can get him to respond to you - knowing him a bit, the sky's the limit for the Warriors but this isn't a man who will pour good money after bad for one single second.

Huge enthusiasm but financial accountability. There's a novelty :D

I understand the logistical difficulties which forced them out of the second tier in the first place . 

I think back to the Chris Holder inspired side which knocked us out of the play offs in a terrific meeting at Glasgow in 2006 . They would be a tremendous asset to our league , but the northern bias in it would probably prevent that from happening . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulco said:

Isle of Wight seem to have the type of forward thinking promotion set up that the sport needs . Any chance of them bringing their energy back up to the second tier again ?

I used to love our trips to the Isle of Wight.  Just a shame we had to (usually) visit Exeter the night before! :P :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

I used to love our trips to the Isle of Wight.  Just a shame we had to (usually) visit Exeter the night before! :P :D

but i bet you would love to be able to visit Exeter again

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Triple.H. said:

...an experience in itself!

Remember when on holiday down in the west country we used to visit Exeter on the Monday, Weymouth on the Tuesday and Poole on Wednesday. If on holiday in Sussex it was Eastbourne on the Sunday followed by Poole on Wednesdays.

Great days!

2 hours ago, Paulco said:

Thanks for the nice words, we try to always look at the positives of the sport, our club and put our best foot forward so to speak. We also value the effort everyone makes to come to speedway or be part of it... we know what it is like to travel because we do it every week too.

However, we really do love the action in the National League and to be now able to tie up the shool with entry in to the Southern Development League we really can say the we have a develop step for anyone who wants to be a speedway rider.

Your question was could we come up a league.... this is of course something we would consider but it isn't really on the radar for now. For now, we have to grow the club, ensure  its longterm existance by breaking even (at the very least) every year. If you ask me where I want the club to be, then I hope my response is the same as any promoters...we want a viable club that provides great entertainment and a fun filled family night out. If that is in the NL or another one, the objective has to be the same. I also truly believe we can be the Manchester United of speedway.... if that makes sense.. to have an internationally marketed clubs with followers everywhere... thats the target.

All the best

Barry

• Like 4

Great work by the IoW promotion since their rebirth although I still and will always maintain that "Islanders" is such a better nickname (because it is original and can only be associated  with an Island team of which the IoW are the only one!)than the "Warriors" which has been around for donkeys years when I believe Wigan were called that!

Back to the main subject point - Len Silver is one of the all time greats and still continues to produce the goods at Kent. OK he is cantankerous, thinks he's always right and doesn't accept others opinions, but I'm sure Kent speedway would be worse of without his input!

That said, Kent speedway will sooner rather than later have big decisions to make cause with their healthy support and impressive facilities, the clamour for the Kings to operate at a higher level has already begun so eventually in order to maintain interest, avoiding going stale (like Rye House did under Uncle Len), they will have to move up a level! 

Edited by 25yearfan

1 hour ago, Triple.H. said:

Yep.  And Hull, and Trelawny, and Newport, and Reading, and Wimbledon, and Coventry, and... well, I think you get my drift.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, StevePark said:

Yep.  And Hull, and Trelawny, and Newport, and Reading, and Wimbledon, and Coventry, and... well, I think you get my drift.

...and Oxford!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StevePark said:

Oh yes, and the rest.  Also don't agree with everything Len says but he does, and always has, promoted his tracks and gets people in watching and talking about them.  Dunno about his online presence but he writes regular-ish letters to the 'Star ....

3 hours ago, barrybishop said:

Thanks for the nice words, we try to always look at the positives of the sport, our club and put our best foot forward so to speak. We also value the effort everyone makes to come to speedway or be part of it... we know what it is like to travel because we do it every week too.

However, we really do love the action in the National League and to be now able to tie up the shool with entry in to the Southern Development League we really can say the we have a develop step for anyone who wants to be a speedway rider.

Your question was could we come up a league.... this is of course something we would consider but it isn't really on the radar for now. For now, we have to grow the club, ensure  its longterm existance by breaking even (at the very least) every year. If you ask me where I want the club to be, then I hope my response is the same as any promoters...we want a viable club that provides great entertainment and a fun filled family night out. If that is in the NL or another one, the objective has to be the same. I also truly believe we can be the Manchester United of speedway.... if that makes sense.. to have an internationally marketed clubs with followers everywhere... thats the target.

All the best

Barry

Thanks for your views , i wish you and your club all the best for the coming season 

Yes Martinmauger  ( any relation to the great Ivan ???).  Silver does write letters to the Speedway Star, they always make me grin

because he gets hot under the collar at anyone who dares to criticise the sport.  I'm told he also writes an e-mail column on a regular

basis, but I don't know how to get on his mailing list. Can anyone advise me ?

11 hours ago, East End Fan said:

Yes Martinmauger  ( any relation to the great Ivan ???).  Silver does write letters to the Speedway Star, they always make me grin

because he gets hot under the collar at anyone who dares to criticise the sport.  I'm told he also writes an e-mail column on a regular

basis, but I don't know how to get on his mailing list. Can anyone advise me ?

I wish, but sadly no.  Len is still super keen about his sport, as Martin Rogers says in this week's 'Star "the promoter needs to be biggest fan in the stadium"....