British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe Scorpions Vs Edinburgh Monarchs ( P L) - Sunday, July 17th (6.30pm)

There was also the fact that there was an edited press release from Edinburgh at nearly half past midnight on Saturday night/Sunday morning. Were they hoping that the release was too late for checks to be made.

There is, also, the point that the previous BSPA Chairman is Alan Harkess who should know most of the rules/corners to take, in submitting teams :wink::nono:

All rests on IF Bewley was instructed to race for Belle Vue by the BSPA and when Edinburgh for told he'd have to.

When it's known how much time Edinburgh had to find a replacement is the defining factor

Edited by Shads
  • Like 1

There was also the fact that there was an edited press release from Edinburgh at nearly half past midnight on Saturday night/Sunday morning. Were they hoping that the release was too late for checks to be made.

There is, also, the point that the previous BSPA Chairman is Alan Harkess who should know most of the rules/corners to take, in submitting teams :wink::nono:

Alan ???

Don't you mean Alex

He was only chairman for 6 years understandable how you got his name wrong

Alan ???

Don't you mean Alex

He was only chairman for 6 years understandable how you got his name wrong

Being chairman during a massove decline in Speedway is hardly a badge of honour.. If i was him id hope people got my name wrong so i could pretend it was someone else

• Like 3

But Bewley should have been at Scunthorpe:

19.9.3 Where a rider is additionally declared in a PL and/or EL Team, the EL and/or PL Team shall have priority, except that a rider nominated for the NLRC must appear in the NLRC.

So NL guest only according to 18.10 e). And Davey isn't eligible for that - his 2009 Glasgow figures are proof of that.

Or did the NLRC take place at Buxton on Sunday without anyone noticing? :D

All the best

Rob

Which contradicts this:-

16. FIXTURES, MATCH AVERAGES and GENERAL RULES

The authority of the SCB and BSPA extends over all Meetings listed on the Official BSPA produced and maintained Fixture List.

Changes, including Fixture re-stagings must be approved by the BSPA and no Meeting may be staged unless on the Fixture List.

16.1 Fixtures shall take priority as follows:

FIM SGP, SWC, SGP Qualifying Meetings, FIM Junior Speedway Championship Meetings

British Championships (Senior, Junior), BSPA Shared and Fee Events

Official Competitions: 1. Elite League; 2. Premier League; 3.National League.

NB. Non-Official Competitions have no priority over any of the above.

A Rider must be released to take part in a higher priority Meeting, unless he is “Doubling Up” or is an “EDR, in which case the priority for a clash of Official Meetings is as follows:

16.1.1 The “owning” Club (ie. on Club’s Retained List) or before the start of the Season was

transferred with the full Transfer Fee being paid.

16.1.2 If neither Club has “ownership”, then it is determined by the League status of the Club that

does “own” the rider. If that Club is a NL Club then agreement can be made otherwise Art.16.1 applies.

16.1.3 The Original Fixture if there is a clash with a re-Arranged Fixture

16.1.4 A Transfer during the Season does not change this priority.

18. PREMIER LEAGUE MEETING REGULATIONS

18.10 FACILITIES

a1) Absent #1: G or RR

a2) Absent D-U or EDR (if riding for the otherteam) G or RR

b ) 1 Absent rider (2 – 5): RR

c) More than 1 Absent rider (1 - 5) 1 x RR facility and G for all others

d) Absent #6 or #7: G

e) “No Facility”: NL G*

NL G*: a rider eligible for a NL Team who has never achieved an actual PL MA of 4.00 or above

18.11.3 The Guest must be in a current Team Declaration and have an MA that is the same or lower than that of the absent rider. If a replacement EL rider also has a current PL MA then the higher of the MA’s will dictate the eligibility.

18.11.4 The Guest assumes the position and MA of the Missing rider.

Buxton vs B.V. Colts was an Original Fixture, whereas Scunthorpe vs Edinburgh was a Re-Arranged Fixture.

Dan Bewley is a Doubling Up rider with BV Colts & Edinburgh

Under the Regulations, Belle Vue Colts had priority for the services of Dan Bewley as “Doubling Up” rider, per 16.1.3

Therefore Edinburgh were entitled to a Guest Facility as per 18.10.d) for #7 and did not require to be a rider eligible for a NL Team who has never achieved an actual PL MA of 4.00 or above

Mitchell Davey is an Edinburgh asset, UK Passport Holder currently riding for Coventry Storm in the National League, and who previously rode for Edinburgh in Premier League in 2013 and his Final PL GSA was 3.00

Mitchell Davey was therefore eligible to Guest for Edinburgh at Scunthorpe in place of Dan Bewley, at no 7 as he met the criteria of 18.11.3 & 18.11.4 of the Regulations

Edited by cyclone
  • Like 2

Alan.?

;-)

I can answer this one. It was not an official press release. It was a preview of the match ahead written by myself as a volunteer with no official ties to the club ( as I have done for every match this season apart from the last Berwick home match where I e-mailed the wrong article over by accident) at the time I wrote this on Saturday evening I had not been made aware of any changes to to our programmed 1-7 (tbf I hadn't asked if there was any) whether the management were aware of Dan's availability or not at this stage I don't know but there was no cloak and dagger element to this.

As for your second point about Mr Harkess that's laughable. The BSPA told the Monarchs that Dan had to ride for Belle Vue and the BSPA have issued the NL averages showing Mitch was eligible.

Who is the vice chairman of said BSPA....... That's right it's Scunny promoter Rob Godfrey!

Edited by gmuncie
  • Like 2

interestingly (or perhaps not), there's a new issue of green sheets for NL today. still no additional notes beside the name of Mitchell Davey...

I thought it was interesting that of the two SCB statements issued at the same time only One had the SCB panel listed which included one Edinburgh promoter.

The rulebook contradicts itself which is evident by the SCB statement, it basically comes down to how the powers at be want to interpret the rules, a good example is Matt Ford in the star this week with Ford quoting the meeting referee and Graham Reeve as completely unable to say why he couldn't use Jake Allen or Charles Wright as a guest in the Poole match v Lakeside.

Perhaps a new SCB manager and a new rulebook will help, we will see, I am not holding my breath.

Reading the SCB statement, there seems to be 2 conclusions from it. Firstly the BSPA didn't know there own rules last week and told Edinburgh that they could use a guest for Bewley (if they'd have got that bit right then there would've been no controversy at all). Secondly Scunthorpe, and all teams, should put a protest in at the appropriate time scale, otherwise the referee's decision is final.

Both of which points seem to have come to a fair conclusion, but the legitimacy of the appeal has to be questioned when one of the panel examining it was Edinburgh's promoter!

Edited by Islander15

Reading the SCB statement, there seems to be 2 conclusions from it. Firstly the BSPA didn't know there own rules last week and told Edinburgh that they could use a guest for Bewley (if they'd have got that bit right then there would've been no controversy at all). Secondly Scunthorpe, and all teams, should put a protest in at the appropriate time scale, otherwise the referee's decision is final.

Both of which points seem to have come to a fair conclusion, but the legitimacy of the appeal has to be questioned when one of the panel examining it was Edinburgh's promoter!

Absolute crap, members of the BSPA committee will not be involved when a decision affects their own team.

The statement could not be clearer - BSPA rules applied as per Cyclone's post above, What gets me is why things like this get anywhere near a protest. Surely the BSPA should be explaining before the meeting to BOTH teams why Davey is eligible to ride. And why Mr Godfrey doesn't appear to know the rules on how to make an appeal!!

• Like 1

It may be absolute crap that Alex Harness was involved in the decision,the problem is none of us actually believe decisions are taken impartially within speedway at all.

None of this is Scunthorpe or Edinburgh's fault really it's the primary school standard of rule book everyone is trying to work to.

Re Rob Godfrey appealing in time,to which interpretation of the rules should he appeal and was he made aware of the type of facility to be used as Davey is clear to ride under one clause and not the other.

It's clear to me from statements at the time an nlg was intended,the rulebook has allowed it to be justified another way.

The biggest shame here is that there's been more debate about the rulebook and appeal than what was an outstanding meeting and to me that's why speedway continues to struggle.

I'm a Scunthorpe fan and obviously disagree with the ruling but I completely accept the match result as it was unaffected by any of the above and that's the way it should be.

16.1 Fixtures shall take priority as follows:

FIM SGP, SWC, SGP Qualifying Meetings, FIM Junior Speedway Championship Meetings

British Championships (Senior, Junior), BSPA Shared and Fee Events

Official Competitions: 1. Elite League; 2. Premier League; 3.National League.

NB. Non-Official Competitions have no priority over any of the above.

A Rider must be released to take part in a higher priority Meeting, unless he is “Doubling Up” or is an “EDR, in which case the priority for a clash of Official Meetings is as follows:

16.1.1 The “owning” Club (ie. on Club’s Retained List) or before the start of the Season was

transferred with the full Transfer Fee being paid.

16.1.2 If neither Club has “ownership”, then it is determined by the League status of the Club that

does “own” the rider. If that Club is a NL Club then agreement can be made otherwise Art.16.1 applies.

16.1.3 The Original Fixture if there is a clash with a re-Arranged Fixture

16.1.4 A Transfer during the Season does not change this priority.

If we're working to that rule, you don't get as far as 16.1.3 because 16.1.1 says that Belle Vue should always have priority over Bewley as he is their asset.

• Like 2

Shame that Mitchell's performance has been overshadowed by the stoozy caused by the appeal.

3 rides - 4+1 including 3 times finishing ahead of Josh Bailey who clocks an NL average of 8.4 which is more than decent.

And this after missing 3 years because of a very serious leg injury.

Well done young man.

• Like 4