British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
r77toy

Yanks Headed To Poland

After attending the GP at Cardiff, and all of the great advice we received on this Forum, we are thinking about heading to Poland for a race next year.

Which city has the easiest transit system?

I'm assuming Warsaw is the biggest event, am I correct?

Also, which city is the safest? We were just in Paris and it was the biggest den of thieves I've ever seen.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by r77toy

Poland is very safe if observing the usual things you would normally do on holiday. Very cheap beds, food and drink.

I haven't been to Warsaw which is roughly 50,000 attendance. But Torun is a lovely small tourist city where you can walk about easily but book early for a bed. Maybe fly to Bydgoczsz (nice enough small town) as that is only an hour away. A taxi from the airport is only £35 after haggling but bus or train very cheap. I've read on this forum that the train network is very good so you can get to Torun from anywhere.

Everyone should go to Torun at least once. A great racetrack, stadium and atmosphere.. Not sure of capacity but maybe 20000 ? Send a dm if you want more info

http://www.mosir.torun.pl/panoramy/motoarena/index.html

Warsaw is a great GP but not that great of a city in all honesty. Torun is a Superb GP and a lot of fun. Cheap RyanAir flight away from London too..

Take sunglasses so the sheriff can't see you admiring the scenery

On a more serious note try to get to a league match on the Sunday.

Or maybe contact Travel Plus their brochure is normally out early January and while many say they're expensive they do the donkey work for your hotels, tickets and connections with the benefit that there's plenty of like minded folk to mingle with.

Edited by Triple.H.

Thanks for the Travel Plus idea, we usually don't join tours, but it might be a great idea this time.

As others have rightly said, Torun is indeed a fine city - probably my favourite Polish destination; (I think it's designated a World Heritage site). However, at opposite ends of the country, I also love Gdansk and Krakow, and whilst you won't see a GP at either, they both have league tracks. From Gdansk you can explore the Baltic sea coast, (including the Hel peninsular), the historic shipyards and Malbork castle. From Krakow, there is of course Auschwitz, the salt mines and maybe a trip over the Tatra mountains into Slovakia. We've done both of these destinations independently, but we've also travelled with Travel Plus and I cannot speak too highly of them; James and his crew really look after you!

Thanks for the Travel Plus idea, we usually don't join tours, but it might be a great idea this time.

Depends where you want to go. If the track is in the middle of nowhere (Sweden can be hard work) then there is some value in having a nice coach to drive door to door. But if the track is easy to get to (Warsaw / Cardiff / Torun) you are paying double for what you can book yourself. Depends how rich you are and how lazy..

Which venue has the biggest party atmosphere? We really enjoyed all of the people in the streets of Cardiff singing and chanting with their national flags all day. We really don't have anything like this in the states, our National Championship gets approx. 2500 spectators.

Which venue has the biggest party atmosphere? We really enjoyed all of the people in the streets of Cardiff singing and chanting with their national flags all day. We really don't have anything like this in the states, our National Championship gets approx. 2500 spectators.

Torun.

Depends where you want to go. If the track is in the middle of nowhere (Sweden can be hard work) then there is some value in having a nice coach to drive door to door. But if the track is easy to get to (Warsaw / Cardiff / Torun) you are paying double for what you can book yourself. Depends how rich you are and how lazy..

All of the Polish tracks are in the town or city and will be easily arrived at by a local bus.

I have travelled a lot in Poland and often used their trains and buses.

Thanks for all of the advice, when does the 2017 SGP schedule come out?

normally drip feeds out- see this 2015 thread for GP 2016 dates http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=79679&page=1 and this 2017 thread http://www.speedway-forum.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=82090

Edited by racers and royals

Any hotel recommendations in Torun?

do an internet search or use a hotel booking website like booking.com or hotels.com