British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Kent Vs Birmingham - 18th July

Final score: Kent 41 Birmingham 43... with last race not staged due to curfew.

It seems to me a real shame that Kent didn't get on with this one a bit quicker - it's a shame when a clash between two of the league's big guns is decided by curfew.

Any thoughts from those who were there?

All the best

Rob

It seems to me a real shame that Kent didn't get on with this one a bit quicker - it's a shame when a clash between two of the league's big guns is decided by curfew.

All the best

Rob

Enough on Twitter last night were complaining of underhand time wasting tactics.

If that was the case, knowing the curfew situation, the referees at Kent matches need to be stronger with getting on with it, 2 minute warnings etc.

• Like 1

It was a great match raced in front of a big crowd. The lack of urgency in running the meeting came back to haunt kent big time, when birmingham started to deliberately slow the meeting down in the later heats to get a result.

Well where to start from last night? A meeting where the score swung to and fro and where hard racing was evident from the start.

Starting with the good and in this case very good Tom Bacon was superb, gated well, was composed out front and was the standout man on the night. Jack Smith when behaving was very fast indeed and James Shanes was simply box office plus a mention for David Mason who was much improved and always near the thick of the action.

Now that bad (deep breath) Ritchings was pants & awful attempt to try and get a rerun. Bowen getting timed out under 2mins in ht 1 was silly and costly. Ayres awful attempt to run Smith into the fence in ht 7, nothing subtle about it and was both reckless, unnecessary and costly again.

Then Smith the move on Verge was shocking and his gestures at the end of the meeting were a disgrace and i hope a fine is heading his way.

Winners on the night Brum & Drury's terrible actions in slowing the meeting down

Losers the fans who pay to watch a full meeting and were denied by blatant time wasting, a slow ref & Kent riders who lacked urgency to get to the tapes and get going also. Judging bythe way the stadium quickly emptied & the grumblings on the way out from both sides i was not alone.

• Like 1

All the best

Rob

you are clearly on the wind up mate.

• Like 1

you are clearly on the wind up mate.

Nah, just curious as to what happened.

I've now read a version of events on the Kent website and I can see why you might think I was on the wind up, although ultimately it is the referee and home promotion who dictate the pace of the meeting, although the away team can certainly put in a spanner in the works!

Although, correct me if I'm wrong, but I make the number of two-minute exclusions as two apiece on each side.

All the best

Rob

Drury should be ashamed, Smith needs a fine and the ref clearly needed me sat next to him with a cattle prod.

The time wasting in heat 13 was totally unacceptable, i've never been so wound up at a speedway meeting. At 39 points each that should have been it but out came our riders for heat 14 (pronto) and the cheats got the win.

Nah, just curious as to what happened.

I've now read a version of events on the Kent website and I can see why you might think I was on the wind up, although ultimately it is the referee and home promotion who dictate the pace of the meeting, although the away team can certainly put in a spanner in the works!

Although, correct me if I'm wrong, but I make the number of two-minute exclusions as two apiece on each side.

All the best

Rob

Why start a thread after the event because you are just 'curious'? Surely you would read the Kent website first?

• Like 1

Why start a thread after the event because you are just 'curious'? Surely you would read the Kent website first?

Is this 50 questions? :D

I saw the result, saw there wasn't a thread and decided to start one. I didn't realise that was a crime. :P

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

First time visitor to Kent yesterday and very impressed by the attendance.

Knowing it was the hottest day of the year and the likely need to water regularly meant the meeting was always going to be tight to the curfew. Taking 20 minutes to run the first 2 races, and 40 minutes to run heats 3-6 so after an hour we only had 6 heats.

Drury has been in this game a long time and looking at the score charts Brum would likely win heat 14 and lose 15 so he played the clock with time exclusions. Many team managers would have done the same to make sure they take the points home.

Just my view as an outsider.

• Like 2

Did not go last night as I am in sunny Devon.

But last night was just another example of why I am fed up with the NL.

How many 2 minutes exclusions/just made it was there last night ?

I see so many of these that it is getting tedious and boring.

And last night not finishing the meeting when there was just 2 points in it,was a disgrace.

I know the curfew was reached,but no excuse last night for not getting through the meeting.

Can you imagine getting to 85 minutes in a football match and blowing final whistle ??

Again the public are short changed,but never mind they do not count. :nono:

• Like 1

Out of interest how many meetings this season have been completed and how many curtailed due to curfew?

No mention of anything controversial on the BSPA web site. In fact having taken a dogs age to put anything on their web site at all it seems that they have copied & pasted straight off the Brummies web site.

I'm sure that a fully investigated analysis of all that went on will feature in next week's Speedway Star though, won't it?

I was at the meeting last night - a neutral observer.

Darryl Ritchings failure/reluctance to clear the track after he had fallen by himself in heat 4 and Kent were on a 5-1 left a lot to be desired. Luckily, the referee did not request a rerun and awarded the race.

The delaying tactics employed by the Brum management and riders from heat 12 onwards was deplorable. The paying public were thereby cheated out of a last heat decider.

The antics/gestures of Jack Smith towards the spectators was also not acceptable behaviour.

• Like 2