British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Kent Vs Birmingham - 18th July

Theoretically, the referee could have put his finger on the 2 minute button on the stroke of 6.30pm and done the same immediately after each race was finished (as was the case at Perry Barr the other week when black clouds were gathering), but probably most referees would have considered this to be over officious, but the lesson to be learned here, is that the supporters come to watch the speedway - not pre-meeting presentations or parades or to listen to the inane chatter of centre green presenters who think they are the star turn of the night! The best option is always to crack on with the racing - the incidentals can then come when it is clear that there is time to bring them on without running the risk of not completing the meetings.

Absolutely spot on, Brian :approve:

Unnecessary delays - including any interval - should be cut out as much as possible. No-one wants to be standing around getting cold, getting sunburnt or getting bored and my understanding is that is how the riders want it, too.

At Scunthorpe, there is never an interval and its rare that a meeting takes longer than 90 minutes, partly because Rob Godfrey says stuff over the mic like 'are we having the 2 minutes on then, ref ?'.

Its not difficult to realise that with a rigid curfew things will need to move along as promptly as possible.

That's why I say it isn't Kent 75%, Birmingham 25% or anything else, its 100% referee.

• Like 2

This topic has now had a very good airing and we have read through the views of all sides - from the outraged saintliness of a few partisan Kent supporters to the defensiveness of one or two diehard Birmingham people - with quite a few pertinent and sensible comments thrown in by others.

I am a lifelong supporter of Birmingham, but I wasn't at Kent on Monday so I only know what I have read. I am prepared to accept that Graham Drury probably cashed in on the situation and used it to the advantage of his team. Some would say that the team manager's job is to get every advantage for his side that he can, I wouldn't personally have done this - but then, I'm not employed in a position in which I am paid to get results am I, so my thinking may have been different if I had been!

This kind of gamesmanship is not new. It has been done before and will more than likely be done again - and given the same circumstances I would suggest that most team managers would have done the same as Graham did - including Len who hasn't been averse to pulling a few smart tricks in his time (and I'm not having a go at him when I say this.) I'm not saying it was right - just saying that human nature will usually take over. There were clearly many delays to the meeting in the earlier stages which could be put down to poor control by the referee and by the Kent pits staff which produced a situation which could easily have been avoided.

Theoretically, the referee could have put his finger on the 2 minute button on the stroke of 6.30pm and done the same immediately after each race was finished (as was the case at Perry Barr the other week when black clouds were gathering), but probably most referees would have considered this to be over officious, but the lesson to be learned here, is that the supporters come to watch the speedway - not pre-meeting presentations or parades or to listen to the inane chatter of centre green presenters who think they are the star turn of the night! The best option is always to crack on with the racing - the incidentals can then come when it is clear that there is time to bring them on without running the risk of not completing the meetings.

As far as Jack Smith is concerned, no one who knows him even slightly, would describe him as a "spoiled brat." Jack is a good natured lad with a sunny disposition who would do anything to help anyone. On the track, he puts everything into his racing, and he wants to succeed. He is as much a racer as is Danny Ayres who is of the same mould and is a rider I admire very much. Jack was wrong to react to the provocation from the crowd in the way that he did, but he is young and impetuous and will no doubt learn from this experience.

I hope though, that this incident will not sour the relationship between the Kent and Birmingham supporters in the future. The Kent people have been very welcome visitors to Perry Barr in the past and have made our people equally welcome when we have gone there. I can well appreciate their frustration in losing a match in these circumstances, but whoever gets the bulk of the blame, it shouldn't be the Kent or the Birmingham supporters.

Tbf we were discussing this after the meeting that it's all a sad situation and can't see there being any issues with fans in any future matches. We were made most welcome by the home supporters last month and others have said this about previous visits.

I couldn't agree more with what you say about Jack. I don't agree with any rider making rude gestures towards the crowd whatever the provocation although in this case there's anonther story disputing that. I also don't agree with fans booing and abusing riders whether its their own or the opposition (even brummies fans), I think Kent fans have a beef with Jack even before Mondays match as the texter to the updates site said in Jack's very first race that "Smith at it again", what does he mean by that? Theres no way any rider goes out there with the intention to hurt another rider, sometimes over exuberance and lack experience can play a part especially if its a rider in his first season in the sport. I say people lay off him.

The other Jack, JPB said on facebook yday that he was booed by Kent fans on monday and doesnt know why, can anyone shed any light?

I write the updates and as someone else has said the "at it again" referred to the fact it was the 2nd time in a couple of weeks he collided with and injured a reserve in heat 2.

Whilst I have written harsh comments on young jack and I am pretty sure I used the term superb to describe him I one later race and pointed out he had overtaken our number 1 as the red came out for a faller. Neither of which I would of done if I was 'anti' Smith.

I think I do my updates pretty even handedly but obviously in 50/50 scenarios I am more likely to report it in Kents favour that's human nature, when ever I read other updates I always bare in mind who the texter supports before making any judgements.

I think he thought he was being booed but in fact it was probably aimed at Smith behind him! Kent supporters have no beef with any riders or certainly supporters of brum other than Mr smith, this is because he was excluded for putting Clifton in the fence previously & he took Verge out going into 1st bend that night (maybe accidental!), i also think Smith took some of the stick aimed at the Brum management when he came round to celebrate their win. I have to agree with bbuck i have been at all brum v Kent n Kent v Brum matches this season & all matches have been in very good spirit between the supporters with both appreciate good racing & its such a shame if there is any bad feeling between the clubs, I'm sure they will meet again this year & the racing has always been good & played out front of very sporting crowds.

Jack Smith was not guilty of taking Verge out in heat 2, Verge is one of the weakest riders in this division, timid on a bike and bottled it. When was the Clifton incident, jesus Christ, get over it, Dave Kennett knocked a few off in the 1970's, but I bet their still NOT whinging about it. Is Clifton still whinging about it ? I doubt it. So why should the few stupid kent fans continue to make something of it.

Tbf we were discussing this after the meeting that it's all a sad situation and can't see there being any issues with fans in any future matches. We were made most welcome by the home supporters last month and others have said this about previous visits.

I write the updates and as someone else has said the "at it again" referred to the fact it was the 2nd time in a couple of weeks he collided with and injured a reserve in heat 2.

Whilst I have written harsh comments on young jack and I am pretty sure I used the term superb to describe him I one later race and pointed out he had overtaken our number 1 as the red came out for a faller. Neither of which I would of done if I was 'anti' Smith.

I think I do my updates pretty even handedly but obviously in 50/50 scenarios I am more likely to report it in Kents favour that's human nature, when ever I read other updates I always bare in mind who the texter supports before making any judgements.

Teaboys updates are amongst the best around - I have no problems with anything in Monday night's reporting.

Amazingly it could be that the greatest rivalry in British speedway currently is between 2 National League sides....and one of those tracks is likely to stage more meetings than any other in the UK this season!

It feels like here in the South East that the El especially is an irrelevance ..

....most meetings..

but not most heats..lol

Just wanted to point out that tonight's Brummies versus Stoke meeting was completed in an hour and three quarters and this included a ten to fifteen minute interval

Maybe instead of blaming all things Brummies for falling foul of your curfew YET AGAIN, maybe your promotion at Kent should analyse where they are going wrong and learn from their mistakes as this was by no means the first time and, unless they get their act together more, it will not be the last time the rediculous curfew comes into play

• Like 1

Good to read the other side of the argument in tonight's programme at Birmingham.

Seems it's okay for Kent to mess about sending out mascots and running one race in half hour but not if it means the away team expecting some time for riders doing 2 on the trot.

I'm sure Birmingham did indeed stretch the time allowed to the maximum in the latter stages, however the home team weren't running a match like there was a curfew period.

Lesson learned, if you are going to mess about with the time at the start of a meeting, don't blame the opposition if they do the same, simples!

• Like 5

Jack said in the Brummies programme tonight that the Kent fans turned nasty when he and Luke Bowen came together in one race and then he came round in heat 14 to wave to the crowd and they started verbally swearing at him and making hand gestures, Jack obviously then responded himself which he regrets. Hes apologized in the programme tonight for anyone hes offended but he said a young rider starting out at this level shouldn't he subjected to that.

From what I read, the ref on Monday missed the incident but was alerted to people in the box who did see it. The ref contacted drury who then asked Jack if he did make gestures and he admitted it. The ref couldnt fine a rider if he didnt see the incident happen himself. Jack has assured Graham it wont happen again.

I could post what the Judge said in his notes ( he dont hold back) but i realize he dont have many friends on here so could make things worse. He categorically denies time delaying tactics.

So if we can defend an 18 point lead in Manchester against the Colts in the KO cup we face Kent :P:blush:

Edited by Brummie Kev

Quickest 15 heat meeting I've been to was at Redcar about three years ago. Steady drizzle from heat 1, so they hurried it on and was completed in an hour and 5 minutes

Edited by Shads

So instead of whinging at Birmingham, wouldn't it be better if the Kent fans were to petition the council to extend the curfew?

No mention of anything controversial on the BSPA web site. In fact having taken a dogs age to put anything on their web site at all it seems that they have copied & pasted straight off the Brummies web site.

I'm sure that a fully investigated analysis of all that went on will feature in next week's Speedway Star though, won't it?

Just seen this and there is a Graham Drury reaction piece on there from Tuesday morning sent by the Brummies press office - there was nothing from Kent as they didn't send anything! You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about something here. Have you had a bad experience with the Birmingham press office? Good to see an updated league table on their website and professionally written material.

Just seen this and there is a Graham Drury reaction piece on there from Tuesday morning sent by the Brummies press office - there was nothing from Kent as they didn't send anything! You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder about something here. Have you had a bad experience with the Birmingham press office? Good to see an updated league table on their website and professionally written material.

So where is it on the NL News Page? http://www.speedwaygb.co/nlnews

Surely the point of publishing an article is to make it easy to find so that people can read it? You don't need a chip on the shoulder to state the bleeding obvious.

Just seen this and there is a Graham Drury reaction piece on there from Tuesday morning sent by the Brummies press office - there was nothing from Kent as they didn't send anything!

Well you can withdraw this comment immediately. I am the Kent Press Officer and a full report of the match was sent to all of the local and national outlets including of course the BSPA Press Office the night of the match (i.e. Monday night) and posted as always on the Kent website first thing on Tuesday morning.

Mr Silver has chosen not to make any public comment on what happened on Monday.

ReallyI'm rather surprised that Mr Drury has (apparently) made numerous comments denying accusations that haven't actually been made.

• Like 1

Well you can withdraw this comment immediately. I am the Kent Press Officer and a full report of the match was sent to all of the local and national outlets including of course the BSPA Press Office the night of the match (i.e. Monday night) and posted as always on the Kent website first thing on Tuesday morning.

Mr Silver has chosen not to make any public comment on what happened on Monday.

ReallyI'm rather surprised that Mr Drury has (apparently) made numerous comments denying accusations that haven't actually been made.

Really?

Taken from the kent kings website: -

The manner of the eventual victory, though, left a nasty taste in the mouth - when tactics replaced racing as the match reached a climax which ultimately was prematurely cut short: the dreaded ‘curfew’ denying the SLYDE Kings (and the public) the last heat decider which such a keenly contested battle demanded.

And

Actually by heat 13 indeed the scores were level again at 39-39 all, but by this point a different tactic seemed at play with the ever approaching curfew of 8.30pm being used as a stick to beat the hosts with. Ritchings had been ineffective all meeting and had taken a knock from his earlier fall. Rather than directly replacing him though in heat 13, the two minutes allowance was simply exceeded before Parkinson-Blackburn then took every second of the next 120 seconds allowance before getting to the tapes. This had followed a similar set of circumstances in the previous heat: the impressive Smith hadn’t had any problems starting or indeed racing up to this juncture but unaccountably didn’t make it out of the pits. It seemed he was being saved for heat 14 but the upshot of the delay caused by exclusion and Parkinson-Blackburn replacing his namesake, was that valuable time was lost as the witching hour approached.

At the end of the day isn't this an example of what Speedway desperately needs these days. A bit of controversy, a whiff of conspiracy, showmanship, gamesmanship and a bit of needle between teams.

With crowds at a very low level, you need to have something to put some passion back into the sport and bums on seats. What happened to the good old war of words we used to read between Promoters which gave all fans the 'got to be there to see that' feeling.

I bet there are decent crowds when the clubs meet again.

Might even go along myself.

• Like 9