British Speedway Forum

Pie in the sky, would never get backing from the local council or the tax payer!

Aren't the local council considering something similar at Oxford?

Aren't the local council considering something similar at Oxford?

Considering it is a lot different to actually doing it.... when you bear in mind the financial dire straits most councils are in, do you believe under closer scrutiny they would see it as tax payers money being well spent?

Just want to add that the financial fiasco up in Manchester will not help in the future when other councils CONSIDER things like this.

Edited by jchapman
  • Like 1

Yes but how many years ago was that? Must be 70 years. Would it be worth potentially alienating a large part of the fan base with a change of name considering Speedway is struggling for fans as it is?

It's not 70 years .But when you talk about alienating fans he done that last season when he took the concessions of for oap and lost money on that alone but beside all that I don't want to see Cov close I've been going for a long long time and I blame Martin Ochiltree

It's not 70 years .But when you talk about alienating fans he done that last season when he took the concessions of for oap and lost money on that alone but beside all that I don't want to see Cov close I've been going for a long long time and I blame Martin Ochiltree

There's a few people you could blame for this.

Pie in the sky, would never get backing from the local council or the tax payer!

In the Coventry telegraph, Mr Stokes spells out that such a move would be virtually impossible and would require the support of the majority of the council tax payers.

I think Mr Stokes is just trying to scare the two parties into sorting something out by issuing this rather weak threat.

Either the children sort it out between themselves or it's Goodnight Vienna.

• Like 1

In the Coventry telegraph, Mr Stokes spells out that such a move would be virtually impossible and would require the support of the majority of the council tax payers.

I think Mr Stokes is just trying to scare the two parties into sorting something out by issuing this rather weak threat.

Either the children sort it out between themselves or it's Goodnight Vienna.

How many households in the area? How much would it cost each household to pay for it. Sometimes when shared out these things don't cost too much at all ...

I believe today could be an important day for the Bees future as they need to provide a guarantee to BSPA that they will be operating in 2017 and I don't think they will accept them on the basis that if the work is completed in time.

The club has to be fair to other clubs to arrange fixtures especially with such a busy international fixture list and also trying to fit in with Championship to avoid clashes.

It is also only fair to the signed riders to guarantee them a job as if not other clubs have shown interest.

I get the feeling well will at least start the season at Leicester. Does Hemsley still own the stadium?

Edited by woz01

With Horton already having a lease from brandon to run the stadium, its a shame that neither Brandon nor the Council could make Horton a business loan to buy back the fixtures and fittings (or get replacements) and re-install them all.

The stadium would then be operational - as would the speedway - and Sandhu's Stox could then decide if they want to use Brandon on Horton's terms?! Or maybe Coventry Speedway could seek alternative Stox providers?

Edited by Skidder1
  • Like 1

With Horton already having a lease from brandon to run the stadium, its a shame that neither Brandon nor the Council could make Horton a business loan to buy back the fixtures and fittings (or get replacements) and re-install them all.

The stadium would then be operational - as would the speedway - and Sandhu's Stox could then decide if they want to use Brandon on Horton's terms?! Or maybe Coventry Speedway could seek alternative Stox providers?

That crossed my mind when it was said Horton and Cllr Stokes were having discussions. They could then buy Sandhu's fixture and fittings if he indeed was happy to sell. Edited by woz01

Good idea but if this happens I would not pin any hopes on even half the stadium being operational during race nights, including the main grandstand.

I get the feeling well will at least start the season at Leicester. Does Hemsley still own the stadium?

I don't. As to who owns the stadium who knows as it's all very confusing ~ to me anyway. Doesn't David lease it from the council rather than actually own it?

But it doesn't require a business loan from the Council though. Mick Horton could get a business loan through his commercial bank - he already has a business. This assumes the business plan meets the requirements of the business loan application. If it doesn't then he shouldn't be lending the money off anyone.

Is the whole thing viable without the Stock cars?

Lots of questions which is why we are not hearing much I guess!

• Like 2