British Speedway Forum

Is the whole thing viable without the Stock cars?

Probably it was before the fixtures and fittings were removed because in previous seasons the Speedway promoters were paying to lease it from Sandhu and all the food/drink sales went to him so the financial side of things should have been a lot better in 2017. Of course we all know now it's not worked out that way.

• Like 1

How many households in the area? How much would it cost each household to pay for it. Sometimes when shared out these things don't cost too much at all ...

1. Why should the people of Rugby who don't give a hoot about speedway be inflicted with the financial burden of bailing out the Coventry Bees?

2. From the RUGBY Borough Council Tax Payers perspective, wouldn't THEIR taxes be better spent on social care for THEIR elderly? Or education for THEIR kids, or repairing the pot holes in THEIR streets, rather than on propping up a failed COVENTRY speedway team?

• Like 7

1. Why should the people of Rugby who don't give a hoot about speedway be inflicted with the financial burden of bailing out the Coventry Bees?

2. From the RUGBY Borough Council Tax Payers perspective, wouldn't THEIR taxes be better spent on social care for THEIR elderly? Or education for THEIR kids, or repairing the pot holes in THEIR streets, rather than on propping up a failed COVENTRY speedway team?

equally there will be speedway fans that dont have kids/elderly in care/drive a car - why should they pay for schools/homes/roads.

Council spending is much more complex than 'do i get out what i put in' particularly when it comes to sport, heritage or culture.

• Like 7

But it doesn't require a business loan from the Council though. Mick Horton could get a business loan through his commercial bank - he already has a business. This assumes the business plan meets the requirements of the business loan application. If it doesn't then he shouldn't be lending the money off anyone.

Agreed. That's why I suggested from the Council who are generally supportive of the stadium continuing and might - just might - have offered him better repayment terms than a commercial bank?!

Agreed. That's why I suggested from the Council who are generally supportive of the stadium continuing and might - just might - have offered him better repayment terms than a commercial bank?!

I think you miss my point Clive. Banks want to lend money - but not if it is risky. So if that is the case no-one should be lending the money and Mick shouldn't be borrowing it!

The problem is we supporters are looking at it from an emotional angle and want the club to continue but the promoters should only be approaching it from a purely commercial standpoint.

• Like 2

With Horton already having a lease from brandon to run the stadium, its a shame that neither Brandon nor the Council could make Horton a business loan to buy back the fixtures and fittings (or get replacements) and re-install them all.

The stadium would then be operational - as would the speedway - and Sandhu's Stox could then decide if they want to use Brandon on Horton's terms?! Or maybe Coventry Speedway could seek alternative Stox providers?

Who would be paying back the loan then ? Perhaps as he lives approximately 10 miles from Peterborough he should ask the city council to lend him the money as they seen to be very gullible when it comes to decision making .

Edited by New era Panthers

How many households in the area? How much would it cost each household to pay for it. Sometimes when shared out these things don't cost too much at all ...

whatever planet are you on ?totally clueles comment - As a Lynn fan I'd be totally against that happening at Lynn if the club was in similar circumstance . Edited by Haza
  • Like 3

Good idea but if this happens I would not pin any hopes on even half the stadium being operational during race nights, including the main grandstand.

We just want a track that's safe to run, the rest doesn't matter and can wait. It must be quite easy to set up a mobile bar or 2 (like Belle Vue) and get a couple of burger vans in.

• Like 1

I'm disappointed that the Bees management are not supplying any information to their loyal supporters the total information we have had in the last three months is a happy Christmas from Mick Horton and a pathetic poem from Mr Watson a pretty poor show! If Mick Horton doesn't want/can't agree with t terms is there no one on the sidelines who would take on the lease and reach some amicable agreement with Sandhu?.

Edited by abbo
  • Like 2

whatever planet are you on ?totally clueles comment - As a Lynn fan I'd be totally against that happening at Lynn if the club was in similar circumstance .

Well they don't call her Mother Theresa for nothing ;)

God help her if she believes her own tax contributions would be better spent on a speedway stadium than on schools or health care.

• Like 1

Well they don't call her Mother Theresa for nothing ;)

God help her if she believes her own tax contributions would be better spent on a speedway stadium than on schools or health care.

isnt the schools and health care arguement a bit if a red herring?

Budgets for these are separate and ringfenced - any funds for a sporting stadium would have no impact on those areas.

• Like 2

isnt the schools and health care arguement a bit if a red herring?

Budgets for these are separate and ringfenced - any funds for a sporting stadium would have no impact on those areas

Public money is public money. For example when I recently heard that £5.2m of public money was being spent on the 'Ethiopean Spice Girls' I was outraged and wanted answers as to why it wasn't being spent on the NHS. Not for one minute did I think 'thats's ok that money has been ringfenced for the Department of International Development'.

May I ask how you felt about that one?

• Like 3

Those things get a budget from central government and that money is ring fenced to spend on that only. Not everything a council will do will help the whole area it runs, that's impossible. If a council looks at something and think it could potentially damage an area it can look into it and see if it's worth putting money in to it. If residents of Binley Woods, Brandon and other areas around the stadium want it saved then why shouldnt them areas have some of the money they contribute in council tax. Of course it has to be worth it but just because the majority of the Rugby population don't care doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.

If they took the compulsory purchase order as a serious option they wouldn't have to buy the whole site would they?

Edited by woz01
  • Like 2

Public money is public money. For example when I recently heard that £5.2m of public money was being spent on the 'Ethiopean Spice Girls' I was outraged and wanted answers as to why it wasn't being spent on the NHS. Not for one minute did I think 'thats's ok that money has been ringfenced for the Department of International Development'.

I need to start thinking of how I can get some of that money for nothing.

In fact, a 5th of that money would have been better spend on the Brandon Stadium than a nothing project that has no long term benefit at all.

Thankfully the government have put a stop to it due to the outcry.

havent even heard of that case!

Quite ridiculous and it seems from subsequent replies that it was rightly shelved.

The Coventry stadium is very different. A genuine local amenity with strong long term heritage and one that at least deserves consideration for funding.

Ultimately the local 'powers that be' would have to decide if it is deserving enough for some discretional funding but either way it would not impact those other services.

• Like 1