British Speedway Forum

havent even heard of that case!

Quite ridiculous and it seems from subsequent replies that it was rightly shelved.

The Coventry stadium is very different. A genuine local amenity with strong long term heritage and one that at least deserves consideration for funding.

Ultimately the local 'powers that be' would have to decide if it is deserving enough for some discretional funding but either way it would not impact those other services.

IF the council decided to compulsory purchase the site it could be used for loads of things to benefit the community ... I was talking about the site not the club but of course I would hope that they would rent the stadium out for speedway ..... as a Councillor myself albeit not having any experience of compulsory purchase, I do know that to raise monies in a area an amount may look massive but when divided between all council tax payers .....

Well they don't call her Mother Theresa for nothing ;)

God help her if she believes her own tax contributions would be better spent on a speedway stadium than on schools or health care.

Did you not know that your council tax is made up of payments into a few different pots?

Such as?

Use your imagination .... the stadium for other sports similar to the Adrian Flux Arena at Lynn, the club room rented out like any social club room, Christmas Fair (as in rides etc), part of the car park could be used for tennis courts, floodlit 5 a side football, basket ball etc, all sorts ...
  • Like 1

Did you not know that your council tax is made up of payments into a few different pots?

Yes but do you not think that the pots that are empty (for example local support for the elderly) should have money moved to them from ones which seem to be wasting money for the sake of it (such as buying old stadiums which need lots of further money spent on them to bring to a respectable standard).

Why am I not surprised you are a councillor, it all makes sense now. Love to commission reviews, spend days on end drinking cups of coffee while you sit in public meetings discussing them and then deciding to postpone a decision until you receive some more reports. And in the meantime no idea how your budgets were over spent.

No wonder you think this would be a good use of Tax payers money to buy Coventry Stadium. Sorry but this should be private enterprise only, absolutely no value in it to the tax payer!

Ps you will recall I was part of the bidding process for the King's Lynn Town Football Club and so I am quite aware of councils work in these situations. I now know why they say people are career councillors, because it takes them their whole career to make one decision.

• Like 3

Use your imagination .... the stadium for other sports similar to the Adrian Flux Arena at Lynn, the club room rented out like any social club room, Christmas Fair (as in rides etc), part of the car park could be used for tennis courts, floodlit 5 a side football, basket ball etc, all sorts ...

Don't remember saying that I'd got any imagination.

So if all these activities are such great money spinners, have they been tried before and how did it go?

IF the council decided to compulsory purchase the site it could be used for loads of things to benefit the community ... I was talking about the site not the club but of course I would hope that they would rent the stadium out for speedway ..... as a Councillor myself albeit not having any experience of compulsory purchase, I do know that to raise monies in a area an amount may look massive but when divided between all council tax payers .....

It was spoken about at Save Cov Speedway meetings. The site is massive and for its future it needs more locals and businesses to use it. Doctors, Dentists, a gym, a nursery etc could be built on the site and not take that much space. There it's lots of ways to go if there is a will to do it.

Public money is public money. For example when I recently heard that £5.2m of public money was being spent on the 'Ethiopean Spice Girls' I was outraged and wanted answers as to why it wasn't being spent on the NHS. Not for one minute did I think 'thats's ok that money has been ringfenced for the Department of International Development'.

May I ask how you felt about that one?

I was pi$$ed off about that. That money could have built a good speedway stadium.

It was spoken about at Save Cov Speedway meetings. The site is massive and for its future it needs more locals and businesses to use it. Doctors, Dentists, a gym, a nursery etc could be built on the site and not take that much space. There it's lots of ways to go if there is a will to do it.

It needs to be saved this season first before that happens

Those things get a budget from central government and that money is ring fenced to spend on that only. Not everything a council will do will help the whole area it runs, that's impossible. If a council looks at something and think it could potentially damage an area it can look into it and see if it's worth putting money in to it. If residents of Binley Woods, Brandon and other areas around the stadium want it saved then why shouldnt them areas have some of the money they contribute in council tax. Of course it has to be worth it but just because the majority of the Rugby population don't care doesn't mean it shouldn't happen.

If they took the compulsory purchase order as a serious option they wouldn't have to buy the whole site would they?

has UK Martin done a survey to find out how many Rugby people go to speedway I think not there are a lot of fans from Rugby and surrounding areas that go to Brandon so he shouldn't make statements like that unless he can back them

Game On, on 11 Jan 2017 - 5:05 PM, said:

It needs to be saved this season first before that happens

What I find hard to understand , there is a chance that at least one of the three teams may not come to tapes this season yet no statement (that I have seen ) has been issued by the BSPA . Surely these people speak to each other & must know what is going on ! Fixture lists are being compiled & riders livelihoods are involved . PLEASE stop treating us supporters like we don't matter !! The fiddling while Rome burns attitude is starting to grate with a few of us !!

..... as a Councillor myself albeit not having any experience of compulsory purchase.....

Well let's just suppose the fairy godmother gives you the millions you think you need to buy the land that the stadium sits on from Brandon Estates, it only needs an objection from any one of a number of sources for a Public Enquiry to be required by law. Any idea what Public Enquiries cost?...er, IN ADDITION to the cost of the land purchase...???

Than there's the time factor. Very rarely will a CPO bring home the bacon in under 3+ years. No way is this the solution to getting the Coventry Bees on track in 8-10 weeks time.

has UK Martin done a survey to find out how many Rugby people go to speedway I think not there are a lot of fans from Rugby and surrounding areas that go to Brandon so he shouldn't make statements like that unless he can back them

The population of Rugby is over 70,000. On a good day, the Bees will pack in 2000 (I think I may be being a bit generous with that guess too). So, that's 1 in 35 of the population, or 2.86% as a percentage. Let's get real, if the Speedway Party stood for election in Rugby, they would be wiped out by the Liberal Democrats and even the Green Party (2.9% at the last General Election)

• Like 1

Well let's just suppose the fairy godmother gives you the millions you think you need to buy the land that the stadium sits on from Brandon Estates, it only needs an objection from any one of a number of sources for a Public Enquiry to be required by law. Any idea what Public Enquiries cost?...er, IN ADDITION to the cost of the land purchase...???

Than there's the time factor. Very rarely will a CPO bring home the bacon in under 3+ years. No way is this the solution to getting the Coventry Bees on track in 8-10 weeks time.

The population of Rugby is over 70,000. On a good day, the Bees will pack in 2000 (I think I may be being a bit generous with that guess too). So, that's 1 in 35 of the population, or 2.86% as a percentage. Let's get real, if the Speedway Party stood for election in Rugby, they would be wiped out by the Liberal Democrats and even the Green Party (2.9% at the last General Election)

not many from Coventry then eitherjust remember Rugby borough is a large area

not many from Coventry then eitherjust remember Rugby borough is a large area

The more there are from Coventry itself, or from "out of town" then the less the contribution from the people of Rugby, which only reinforces the point.

Those things get a budget from central government and that money is ring fenced to spend on that only.

That technicality goes to the wind when your political opponent says, "VOTE FOR ME, I'll spend more on the Social Care, on Schools and on the Roads, instead of on Brandon Stadium". And in the end, to these councilors, political survival is paramount.

Edited by uk martin

Take ya point MB, would certainly be a long term investment and no, not the answer for the Bees 2017 of course ....