British Speedway Forum

A typically Hortenesque situation is developing. Hope it all gets sorted for sake of Bees fans and Speedway

• Like 1

Our only hope at the minute is Sandhu taking back the ownership of the speedway team, the lease and running it all himself.

• Like 1

Our only hope at the minute is Sandhu taking back the ownership of the speedway team, the lease and running it all himself.

He was going to pay for it to run yet didn't want to be the name on the lease. I find that very strange!

My view is that Simon Gilbert has not helped with his recent articles in the Coventry Telegraph, compulsory purchase by Rugby Council on 10th January, most likely to have angered Brandon Estates whoever they are, and today he reports Coventry Speedway unlikely to agree a track deal, quoting a Lawyer for Brandon Estates. He uses the words unlikely in his headline and quotes the lease deal is now dead in the body of the article. Both articles are totally unhelpful as long as talks are continuing.

From my perspective the original agreement for the lease would no longer apply when the fixtures and fittings had been removed / damaged. Who can blame Mick Horton for not trying to renegotiate, or come to some agreement with Sandhu and Brandon Estates. I remain hopeful of a positive outcome until I hear otherwise from those directly involved.

• Like 3

As I said the other day no one would take on the lease with the stadium as it is. It's not fit for purpose. Sandhu now has the opportunity if he's willing.

And it was reported that he had agreed to replace and repair the damage that his staff caused in the talks with the local councellor. it was an impetuous reaction that he caused the damage but he agreed to repair/replace everything. Horton didn't sign prior to that, and was in America when he was required to sign the lease. Sandhu took that option out of the equation with his hooligan actions. Horton should have signed, but HE didn't cause the damage, or make the agreement to reverse the damage. Sandhu showing his real colours now.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 4

The situation seems to get stranger by the hour. Now Brandon Estates appear to be briefing against Horton. Why would an offshore registered company that wants to keep its business secret, decide it is going to sponsor a speedway team for no commercial advantage whatsoever. Very very odd. One minute the stadium has been trashed without their consent and the next Horton wont sign a lease, all very fishy!

I think you'll find that the fixtures were remove because Horton hadn't signed the contract

But they didn't need to be vandalised, and Sandhu did agree to repair the damage HE caused.

Edited by Tsunami

Speaking to the Coventry Observer, BSPA chairman Keith Chapman said he was hopeful a deal can be reached, and hes prepared to look at other options for the club if their future isnt secured this week.

He said: I hope a deal can be reached by Friday. We seem to be moving forward but weve moved our deadlines on two occasions and just moved it again to this Friday we need an answer by then or else we will have to look at alternatives.

We have to draw a line at some point for the riders, the sport and supporters.

We are optimistic and hope weve done the right thing by letting it go on this long so an agreement can be reached.

With Premiership teams set to release their fixtures in the coming weeks, Coventrys situation is potentially a headache for the BSPA.

The British governing body reserves the right to tear up Hortons licence and find another party to promote speedway at Brandon if they believe he is unable to bring the club to the tapes.

An alternative would be relocating the club or a track share, although neighbours Leicester have already ruled out hosting the Bees.

Whatever option the BSPA takes, Chapman is keen to avoid the worst case scenario of a British speedway giant closing.

He said: A delayed start to the season is an option, or they could run their first meetings somewhere else wed be willing to agree to that. Its a sad state of affairs when you think of the history behind a club which is so famous.

Edited by mdmc82

It would also require the BSPA to decide that he was a 'fit and proper' person to hold a promoter's licence.

That would be an interesting discussion to eavesdrop!

Perhaps Trump could take over. Not the Donald,but Allan. It would be symbolic if on the day one Trump became leader of the free world ,another became the saviour of the Bees. At least he has the finances,or at least he did.

Perhaps Trump could take over. Not the Donald,but Allan. It would be symbolic if on the day one Trump became leader of the free world ,another became the saviour of the Bees. At least he has the finances,or at least he did.

Ha Ha. I think we had enough of the Alan version of Trump last time he played games at Coventry. Trump and Sandhu, what a partnership. :nono:

• Like 4

But they didn't need to be vandalised, and Sandhu did agree to repair the damage HE caused.

But would he keep his word? I think that's very doubtful. He has said in the past he wouldn't sell the stadium without building another one first, also that he was the sole owner when he wasn't. Looks to me like it's all going to plan.

• Like 5

A typically Hortenesque situation is developing. Hope it all gets sorted for sake of Bees fans and Speedway

It's like Deja Vu all over again...

And it was reported that he had agreed to replace and repair the damage that his staff caused in the talks with the local councellor. it was an impetuous reaction that he caused the damage but he agreed to repair. replace everything. Horton didn't sign prior to that, and was in America when he was required to sign the lease. Sandhu took that option out of the equation with his hooligan actions. Horton should have signed, but HE didn't cause the damage, or make the agreement to reverse the damage. Sandhu showing his real colours now.

That's the way I read it too.

• Like 2

My view is that Simon Gilbert has not helped with his recent articles in the Coventry Telegraph, compulsory purchase by Rugby Council on 10th January, most likely to have angered Brandon Estates whoever they are, and today he reports Coventry Speedway unlikely to agree a track deal, quoting a Lawyer for Brandon Estates. He uses the words unlikely in his headline and quotes the lease deal is now dead in the body of the article. Both articles are totally unhelpful as long as talks are continuing.

From my perspective the original agreement for the lease would no longer apply when the fixtures and fittings had been removed / damaged. Who can blame Mick Horton for not trying to renegotiate, or come to some agreement with Sandhu and Brandon Estates. I remain hopeful of a positive outcome until I hear otherwise from those directly involved.

Simon Gilbert has been stirring the sh*t for a long time now I wouldn't trust a word he says
  • Like 2