British Speedway Forum

Current climate? In the current climate, Wasps turned up 18 months ago, and from nil, now get an average crowd of over 17,000. This has been achieved by supplying the right product, in the right environment, with the right promotion. Even Coventry City who are not dissimilar from speedway (in general), and can be regarded as a complete "basket case" still manage to get people through the door. Yet despite this over 9,000 fans, turn up each home game, be it out of a sense of loyalty / love of their team. It is clear that the good people of Coventry do not feel (certainly in terms of numbers) the same towards the Bees.

Coventry Bees hasn't really connected to the City in a while. Something I hope changes if by some miracle we do remain at Brandon.

I don't suppose it ever occurred to you that they were also (wobblers) at one stage in there careers .

I scanned your profile and over 8 thousand posts you are listed as having only 136 as excellent says all I need to know.

I never understand this comeback. Someone doesn't want to watch what they feel is an inferior product but are reminded that those that they prefer to watch were once at that stage. So what?

Just over 1 in 4 like strike rate ;)

Edited by Crump99

BriSCA F1 Fixtures 2017

Track: Brandon Stadium Coventry

Day Date Time Track

Sat 01/04/2017 6.30pm Coventry

Sat 06/05/2017 6.30pm Coventry

Sat 03/06/2017 6.30pm Coventry British

Sat 01/07/2017 6.30pm Coventry

Sat 05/08/2017 7.00pm Coventry

Sat 02/09/2017 6.30pm Coventry

Sat 07/10/2017 6.30pm Coventry NPC R5

Sat 04/11/2017 6.30pm Coventry

Stock car promoters Startrax make it clear on their various websites and Facebook that the above dates are PROVISIONAL subject to the availability of the stadium.

Are these actual meetings, or TBC dates? If they are official dates, then it seems obvious that whoever has control of the venue, just wanted Speedway out..

The answer to the previous quote should provide you with your answer.

Stox are not definitely running. The fixtures can be moved to other venues. The Stox promotion own the dates, the can race them at any track.

Correct woz01. The dates for stock car meetings are provisional listings by promoters Startrax.

​And a key happening in the stock car world that they probably do not anticipate any racing at Brandon: Forum organisers BRISCA who provide the cars and drivers for the F1 class have already moved their formula's long established World Championship from Coventry to Ipswich for this season.

Edited by Guest

Nope, don't have any interest in watching Wobblers, I was brought up on Bruce, Erik & Jan O. Bit of a come down #speedwaysnob

Go to a NL meeting expecting two teams of wobblers and you'll be delighted. What you'll see is some very decent Speedway riders lapping between 1/2 and 1 second slower than the stars!. They make more mistakes for sure but because of that I often find there is more passing. Watching the GP stars is terrific as they rarely go wrong but NL is just as good in a different way.

• Like 8

Yes, my efforts pale into zero significance, given what you achieved and put into your riding. :party::D:P

You cannot compare any riders achievements to the promoters past and present including yourself over the last 30 years who have ruined what was once a popular sport.

• Like 1

You cannot compare any riders achievements to the promoters past and present including yourself over the last 30 years who have ruined what was once a popular sport.

That's not entirely correct though Robert, is it.....?

Many different factors... have conspired to Speedways fall from grace..

Nope, don't have any interest in watching Wobblers, I was brought up on Bruce, Erik & Jan O. Bit of a come down #speedwaysnob

I too am a speedway snob, however NL is far from wobblers and the standard of racing is much better than I expected.

Go to a NL meeting expecting two teams of wobblers and you'll be delighted. What you'll see is some very decent Speedway riders lapping between 1/2 and 1 second slower than the stars!. They make more mistakes for sure but because of that I often find there is more passing. Watching the GP stars is terrific as they rarely go wrong but NL is just as good in a different way.

I agree with your last sentence wholeheartedly however times being 1/2 or a second series slower is way off the mark.

You may get some of the top standard NL riders getting within 2 or 3 seconds of a standard top flight race but the speeds are no way similar.

• Like 1

I don't think the cost of going to speedway as really got a lot to do with it football for example see how many children are at matches not cheap. Speedway does not do a very good job at presentation. We get good coverage on TV sky BT and Eurosport as Starman Said in a previous post Poole get the best crowds in the all the leagues and there going down each year so what is the answer to all this I'm sure if you sale the product it can only improve. Who knowsZ

• Like 1

Football: 90 minutes of entertainment across (approx) 1 hour, 50 minutes. More often than not in semi-decent, modern stadia. Also generally a decent atmosphere.

Speedway: 15 minutes of entertainment strung out across (approx.) 2 hours(+). More often than not in stadia that are in a 1960's/70's time-warp; often whilst standing in the freezing cold. Generally dire presentation and a subdued atmosphere.

Not too difficult to work out; is it?

• Like 7

That's not entirely correct though Robert, is it.....?

Many different factors... have conspired to Speedways fall from grace..

Ronnie Russel and his fellow promoters allowed Johnny Foreigner into the national league and promoters have continued for years to put in overseas journeymen over young Brits and now we see the lack of top class British riders and there are No World Class Brits for fans to follow.

Promoters are too blame for the current state of speedway.

• Like 1

So the key meetings are today (according to SGB Twitter).

Let's hope the fans are updated later as its gone on far too long

• Like 1

I agree with voice of reason attend Speedway meeting between heats 5/10 minutes like attending a funeral. Go to Wasps the place is alive from time of entry to time of leaving. Don't forget the meetings that are called off because of weather (not fault of promoter) think of the other penalty a supporter has that wonderful 'CURFEW' often used without any foundation a number of times last season. Normally during Storm meetings or double headers. At one of the meetings at Brandon village hall Horton was forced to admit that there was no official Curfew time at Brandon. Speedway spectators are the worst treated in all the sports in this country. They lose money but still come back the following week for their further punishment.

Football: 90 minutes of entertainment across (approx) 1 hour, 50 minutes. More often than not in semi-decent, modern stadia. Also generally a decent atmosphere.

Speedway: 15 minutes of entertainment strung out across (approx.) 2 hours(+). More often than not in stadia that are in a 1960's/70's time-warp; often whilst standing in the freezing cold. Generally dire presentation and a subdued atmosphere.

Not too difficult to work out; is it?

Except it isn't 90 minutes, as it has long been accepted that actual football only takes a third of that time.

• Like 2

Stock car promoters Startrax make it clear on their various websites and Facebook that the above dates are PROVISIONAL subject to the availability of the stadium.

Correct woz01. The dates for stock car meetings are provisional listings by promoters Startrax.

​And a key happening in the stock car world that they probably do not anticipate any racing at Brandon: Forum organisers BRISCA who provide the cars and drivers for the F1 class have already moved their formula's long established World Championship from Coventry to Ipswich for this season.

Coventrystox promote the dates on the 1st Saturday of the Month, Startrax have other dates on there website for there own Coventry meetings. Also the F2 world final is down to be run at Coventry in September. The F1 world final is not always run at Coventry it is moved around the different promoters and promoters of this years world final in speedworth and that is why is is at Ipswich.