British Speedway Forum

I have no doubt that the fans would be quite happy to contribute if they were sure that their money was being used for the purpose described.

In the case of the NSSC everyone was happy that the funds were being looked after properly.

In Horton's case, I doubt many would have the same confidence.

It why I've suggested the Save Cov speedway group run it. To be honest I'd like to keep it as the NSSC run it helping youngsters as it's what sets us apart from some other clubs. We as fans can surely find other ways of raising money. I wouldn't trust Horton with my donation either.

• Like 6

Our situation was raised in parliament today by local MP Mark Pawsey who also leads the Speedway parliamentary group.

• Like 2

From the Observer:

MPs could debate the governance of the sport of speedway following the latest Business Questions meeting in the Houses of Parliament.

The idea of a debate was raised by Rugby MP Mark Pawsey, who highlighted the current situation of the Coventry Bees speedway team to the Rt. Hon David Lidington – Leader of the House of Commons – last week.

Mr Lidington has since invited Mr Pawsey to discuss the current situation facing the Bees with Sports Minister Tracey Crouch MP, who would be interested to hear what is happening regarding speedway in the midlands.

Following a bitter off-season dispute between the Bees, CoventryStox and Brandon Estates Ltd – the owner of Coventry Stadium – fans of the Bees must now travel an additional 29 miles each way to watch their team compete at Leicester’s Beaumont Park stadium.

Speedway has been taking place at the popular Brandon facility since the 1920s – however unless a deal can be reached, the sport will not return to Brandon again.

Mark said: “I’m very concerned about the future of speedway at Brandon, which is a major blow for the local community at Brandon.

“I grew up in Binley Woods and I remember going to enjoy racing there with friends and family when I was young.

“Speedway is a great family evening and you often see three generations of fans watching from the terraces.

“Brandon Stadium is a valuable local asset with a great community history.

“I hope that the different parties involved in the dispute can come back round the table and do everything possible to keep speedway racing at Brandon and will do all I can to see that happen.”

Mark is secretary of the All Parliamentary Group for speedway and has talked to other MPs with speedway stadiums in their constituencies about the future of the sport.

During Business Questions, Mark requested the governance of the sport to be debated in parliament.

He told the Rt. Hon. David Lidington MP: “I do not know whether you have ever attended a speedway meeting, Mr Speaker, but that fast, exciting motor sport has always attracted a family audience.

“Speedway racing has taken place at Brandon in my constituency since the early days of the sport in the 1920s.

“Unfortunately, as a consequence of a dispute over the use of the stadium at Brandon, the Coventry Bees will start the new season this summer 25 miles away in Leicester, at great inconvenience to local fans.

“May we have a debate on the governance of this sport?”

In response, Mr Lidington said: “I am sure that if my hon. Friend were to draw his concerns to the attention of the Minister for Sport she would be only too delighted to see what is happening in the speedway world in the midlands.

“As he has suggested, however, the governance of the sport is a matter for the independent governing bodies of the sport rather than a matter in which Ministers should intervene.”

• Like 1

“As he has suggested, however, the governance of the sport is a matter for the independent governing bodies of the sport rather than a matter in which Ministers should intervene.”

That hasn't been the case with the Government's recent criticism of the Football Association.

• Like 1

I'm still undecided about a weekly travel to Leicester 60 odd mile journey on the busiest evening in the week. If I seriously thought that there was any chance of return to Brandon I would have no second thoughts however there seems to be NO indications that the current owners of the stadium are likely to allow the return for Speedway or Stock cars. Another example of the mushroom syndrome took 4 months to reach the Leicester decision it's all a shambles and don't think they will last the season. Before all those supporters come to post about being disloyal etc I should point out that I have supported the Bees since 1948 and not missed a Bees meeting at Brandon for 13 years. Someone will have to make some positive action to indicate we are to return to Brandon for me to start the trek to Leicester. Another point is the loss of the 50/50 indicates negative thinking on my part. I was a regular supporter of the draw if I remember correctly Mr Horton took it over couple of seasons ago but had to resort to returning it to NSSC after supporter pressure.

Edited by abbo
  • Like 3

Anyone else getting a "http 403 Forbidden" message when attempting to access the Coventry website ?

No

Anyone else getting a "http 403 Forbidden" message when attempting to access the Coventry website ?

Nope.

Working fine from here in the USA. Regards. Alan.

Is no news the same as fake news ( regarding the "return" to Brandon )? If anyone was interested in doing so in a genuinely positive way it would have been started by now ( or at least a starting date released, purely to encourage fans to make the trek )

Is no news the same as fake news ( regarding the "return" to Brandon )? If anyone was interested in doing so in a genuinely positive way it would have been started by now ( or at least a starting date released, purely to encourage fans to make the trek )

what if ???? Horton and Sandhu Want to go back ,but Brandon estates are preventing them doing so , and so negotiations have to continue to get Brandon estates to allow them back In . so no news means no successful negotiation yet ,but hopeful of a positive outcome in the future

what if ???? Horton and Sandhu Want to go back ,but Brandon estates are preventing them doing so , and so negotiations have to continue to get Brandon estates to allow them back In . so no news means no successful negotiation yet ,but hopeful of a positive outcome in the future

Have you changed your mind about Sandhu being involved with Brandon Estates now? :unsure: