Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

this wasn't a shock. i had already decided not to go to Leicester.

only thing certain in speedway is that what ever your told, you know its all BS

after 40 years im really sick to death of the lies depict and dodgy people involved in the sport.

Pretty much its Cardiff for me and that it, not giving any more of my money to speedway in the UK

• Like 4

Sad news for speedway and Bees fans. Superb stadium, good bunch of fans, great history, and one of Swindons fav tracks.

Gambo, on 26 Feb 2017 - 12:03 PM, said:

​James Sarjeant is now without a club at all! :mad:

Apologies, I hadn't realised James was now without any club.

gustix, on 26 Feb 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

...but we have seen similar departures by other great clubs in the past 12 or so years. Wimbledon especially spring to mind but there have been as I have previously mentioned venues like Reading, Oxford and further back that wonderful south coast circuit at Southampton.

Again, no intention to ignore who has gone in the past. I think the big lesson here is for the "rulers/dictators" to take stock and realise here and NOW, that British speedway is on a downward spiral. If they are not careful, it will disappear up the proverbial orifice!!

Didn't Horton say Sandhu was helping with some type of financial input, and this has now been withdrawn?

Yes, and this is the reason why the previous arrangement for 8 meetings at Leicester, in the short term, makes that arrangement now not feasible. Sandhu strikes again.

ROCKET 007 please take note.

• Like 1

Some things that I've heard regarding all this.

Investin Brandon Ltd bought the site in 2014 but changed their name to Brandon Estates ltd in 2015

Sandhu was told by the bank to sell Brandon. Draw your own conclusions why.

Sandhu and members of Brandon Estates have 'history' and this is why we are where we are.

This is why Horton was at the front of a new lease with Sandhu financing it instead of Sandhu agreeing a new lease.

Horton was told by Brandon Estates that Sandhu isn't allowed to operate at Brandon hence the delay and non signing of the lease.

Sandhu then took his stuff and made it virtually impossible of motorsport running.

Once Sandhu removed the fixture and fittings it made Brandon Estates job easier at stopping the sports running. Wonder why he did that hey?

Sandhu is likely make money out of the site if houses are built, there is only one party that isn't going to make money out of this situation.

Horton can be blamed for trying to run at Leicester and failing but we shouldn't even have to be in that position. Others are at fault for that. All about money and a grudge.

From councillor Stokes Facebook page....

I am so sorry to hear of the tragic news that The Bees have been prevented from racing in the coming season. So much work has been put in over the past year to secure another three years for The Bees and Stock Car racing at Brandon and I genuinely thought after the relevant parties had discussed all options, that a solution was in place until the events of late last year.

I'd like to pay tribute to Mr Mick Horton who has worked tirelessly to secure the future of The Bees and even during the negotiations over a lease at Brandon Stadium, always ensured the discussions included the stock cars. It's easy to blame the person in the public eye, but without Mr Horton, there would have been no discussions to be had. He has never been more than a tenant at Brandon and due to circumstances beyond his control has been placed in this very difficult position and I know he is devastated by this decision. Anyone knowing all of the details would have understood if Mr Horton had of walked away at the end of the last season and many of those who knew the details, advised him to do so. But he continued to fight to ensure the survival of The Bees.

There is a lot of detail I am unable to discuss because of ongoing legal matters between the new owners and other parties, but I am confident that the fans will clearly understand the events that lead to this decision in the near future.

My sympathies are with the many thousands of fans who will potentially lose not only a stadium they loved, but now a team who most fans grew up supporting along with their parents, grandparents and now their children and grand children. I've been lucky enough to meet and speak to many of you over the past year and I've never met a group of more passionate people with regards to a sport they genuinely loved.

There are no formal powers that I can use to change this decision, but as always I will be keeping all channels of communication open and will facilitate any discussions if it can help this situation.

Well this post sums it up far to well. Edited by woz01
  • Like 5

HOW.

8 meetings were secured at Leicester plus the BSPA would of found a way to run the other meetings to keep the sky contract but don't need to now belle Vue make the 8 needed so Coventry with problems were shut down to easily in my view with no care for the fans or the teams history.

Edited by robert72

HOW.

As the Sky deal requires 8 teams it would have been worth compensating Leicester to take Coventry for the season from the Sky money.

I think the crunch here is to ascertain who are the members of Brandon Estates. On Thursday night at the grand finale of Coventry Bees I asked MH the same question and he admitted that the Brandon Estates were "known to Sandhu" sorry I think this was an ideal way to end the speedway and then pursue their evil deeds Sandhu's conduct in the destruction of Brandon was according to MH far more than has been reported on this site. Electrics ripped from the ceilings multiple damage to the stadium in fact MH said Sandhu was aghast at the damage?. When one considers he was the self admitted creator of he damage!. What hypocrisy!

When Sandhu first bought the Coventry stadium it was believed he did so as the nominated leader of a group of family and friends. He was only the elected nominee of that group to represent their interests. Brandon Estates being a newly company, and buying the stadium? could suggest they have bought it out from themselves, but let Sandhu run it for a 3 year period whilst the sites development or demolition was being arranged.

I am so sorry to hear of the tragic news that The Bees have been prevented from racing in the coming season. So much work has been put in over the past year to secure another three years for The Bees and Stock Car racing at Brandon and I genuinely thought after the relevant parties had discussed all options, that a solution was in place until the events of late last year.

I'd like to pay tribute to Mr Mick Horton who has worked tirelessly to secure the future of The Bees and even during the negotiations over a lease at Brandon Stadium, always ensured the discussions included the stock cars. It's easy to blame the person in the public eye, but without Mr Horton, there would have been no discussions to be had. He has never been more than a tenant at Brandon and due to circumstances beyond his control has been placed in this very difficult position and I know he is devastated by this decision. Anyone knowing all of the details would have understood if Mr Horton had of walked away at the end of the last season and many of those who knew the details, advised him to do so. But he continued to fight to ensure the survival of The Bees.

There is a lot of detail I am unable to discuss because of ongoing legal matters between the new owners and other parties, but I am confident that the fans will clearly understand the events that lead to this decision in the near future.

My sympathies are with the many thousands of fans who will potentially lose not only a stadium they loved, but now a team who most fans grew up supporting along with their parents, grandparents and now their children and grand children. I've been lucky enough to meet and speak to many of you over the past year and I've never met a group of more passionate people with regards to a sport they genuinely loved.

There are no formal powers that I can use to change this decision, but as always I will be keeping all channels of communication open and will facilitate any discussions if it can help this situation.

That puts some meat on the bones as what really happened and who did what. We know it was Sandhu to blame, and Horton, probably for the first time, was not a culprit but a victim.

8 meetings were secured at Leicester plus the BSPA would of found a way to run the other meetings to keep the sky contract but don't need to now belle Vue make the 8 needed so Coventry with problems were shut down to easily in my view with no care for the fans or the teams history.

The withdrawal of the subsidy that Sandhu promised didn't have anything to do with it then.

As the Sky deal requires 8 teams it would have been worth compensating Leicester to take Coventry for the season from the Sky money.

Once you do that it opens the floodgates as you know. It was in the interests of the BSPA, and Speedway in general, to keep as many teams in as possible, not just the 8, in the Premiership, , When the subsidy mentioned above, promised by Sandhu, probably made that a non runner with no other tracks wanting to host the remainder of Coventry's fixtures, the original plan was dead in the water.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 1

When Sandhu first bought the Coventry stadium it was believed he did so as the nominated leader of a group of family and friends. He was only the elected nominee of that group to represent their interests. Brandon Estates being a newly company, and buying the stadium? could suggest they have bought it out from themselves, but let Sandhu run it for a 3 year period whilst the sites development or demolition was being arranged.

That puts some meat on the bones as what really happened and who did what. We know it was Sandhu to blame, and Horton, probably for the first time, was not a culprit but a victim.

The withdraw of the subsidy that Sandhu promised didn't have anything to do with it then.

Once you do that it opens the floodgates as you know. It was in the interests of the BSPA, and Speedway in general, to keep as many teams in as possible, not just the 8, in the Premiership , but when the subsidy mentioned above promised by Sandhu, probably made that a non runner with no other tracks wanting to host the remainder of Coventry's fixtures.

So it was Sandhu that promised the money?

The withdraw of the subsidy that Sandhu promised didn't have anything to do with it then.

Once you do that it opens the floodgates as you know. It was in the interests of the BSPA, and Speedway in general, to keep as many teams in as possible, not just the 8, in the Premiership , but when the subsidy mentioned above promised by Sandhu, probably made that a non runner with no other tracks wanting to host the remainder of Coventry's fixtures.

Are you aware of who runs Brandon Estates ?

Very sad day for Coventry fans in particular and British Speedway in general. I hope The Bees get back on track in 2018.

Even though Poole supporters loved to hate The Bees, I'm sure NONE of us wanted to see them close down, I for one certainly didn't.

Going to miss the hard fought battles between The Bees and The Pirates, but I, like all of you Coventry fans, hope it is only a temporary closure and that rivalries can recommence as soon as possible.

• Like 2

Coventry? How has this happened? One of the few decent speedway stadia in the country (which is one of the big reasons Speedway is suffering, people expect better leisure facilities)

Looking from a distance Ai can't see how it is anybody's fault but Sandhu's. Really nasty vicious tactics to close the place down it would appear. On the plus side, Rugby Council seem like they will be accommodating and the fact Brandon Estates (Whoever they are) are willing to listen to offers for the old girl

Strange timing on Horton spilling some of the beans on what's happening and the 8 match season ticket. What happened between then and now to finish The Bees off?

Edited by Notenoughnerve

Jeez as if I haven't cried enough today..... :cry:

I feel pretty vindicated though, not that it's any comfort.

Why would it all be so cloak and dagger if there weren't dodgy goings on?

• Like 2

Really gutted for the Coventry fans I know and I feel very much for the riders as well!

I'm sorry to say it but it is game, set and match to Sandhu (Estates)!

• Like 2

Surely the answer to all this will be the local council to to give permission for a sports stadium to be turned into a housing estate. In my area you would have no chance of getting planning permission unless you had another new site for the sport in the near area

Going back to Swindon they are building all the houses but no development for a new stadium

My tennis club has just sold half their land and one of the restrictions is that no houses can be sold until the new tennis courts can be built

• Like 1