British Speedway Forum

If anything proves what a short-sighted organisation, stumbling along from one-year to the next, the BSPA are, it is the events that have culminated in today's state of affairs.

We can talk all we like about whether Sandhu, Horton or the BSPA are to blame. As I said in a previous post, the real damage was done in 2002 when the Ochiltrees sold to a speedway outsider.

To my mind, the BSPA should never have let Brandon be sold outside the sport. It was well known around that time that the Ochiltrees were looking to sell or, at the least, looking for extra investment. The BSPA should have had a bit of foresight and purchased the stadium from the Ochiltrees. It could then have been turned into a centre of excellence for the sport. The administrative offices would have moved there from Rugby, a youth academy could have been set up, every major BSPA shared event could have been held there (it's central location with excellent motorway facilities would have made it ideal for this). The stadium could have been available for riders to practise outside of meeting times. We all know that a constant bugbear of British riders is that they struggle to get the same amount of practise time as their Polish counterparts. The possibilities were huge.

The running of the Bees as a speedway team could then have been franchised out to a licensed promoter at a fair and reasonable price and made money for the association. The stock cars, which draw excellent crowds, could also have made money.

Over time, Brandon could have become speedway's equivalent to Twickenham (albeit a stadium which also stages weekly league meetings and, of course, on a much smaller scale).

As good a stadium as Belle Vue's National Speedway Stadium is, I've constantly found it a source of amusement that we have spent years bigging up the development of, and giving a fancy (meaningless) name to a new stadium which is no better than Brandon (at least a Brandon which had not been allowed to deteriorate for the last 10 or so years).

Of course, for this to happen, it would have meant that the BSPA promoters (of all leagues) would have had to have seen past the self-interest, partisanship and short-term thinking that has always characterised their organisation.

It was never going to happen, was it.

Hence the greatest stadium in the sport at the time was sold to someone who wanted the land to build houses on. And here we are, 14 years down the line, reaping the results of the BSPA's lack of vision (in more ways than one).

Easiest thing in the world, with no relevant experience required, to tell someone else how to spend their money. With what would they buy Brandon Stadium. Oh, of course every promoter would be asked to chip in a large amount or borrow big bucks, to fulfil a dream for the future. Most promoters are fans trying to keep speedway open in their own backyard. If they are breaking even, or losing money, what incentive is there to go heavily into debt. The main objective is survival, without your finances taking a serious hit which will damage your standard of living, or any other business you may be involved in.

If you think that is self interest, partisanship and short term thinking so be it. It's not your money that we are talking about.

When you are in a pool, and potentially drowning, it's not the right time to be asked to invest in the future. Tough.

Edited by Tsunami
  • Like 3

Nobody on here really knows the truth - will we ever? I am not condoning Sandhu but I still firmly believe that the snake in the grass is Horton. Let's face it, he has previous in these matters. I don't think he is being entirely truthful here.

• Like 1

I was responding to the post above, which stated the Panthers v. Bees challenge is still going ahead.

To be honest though, that would not be my ideal scenario. Ideally, a neutral venue would be hired and a Bees team (led by Chris Harris) would ride against another team made up of riders with connections to Coventry Bees (perhaps led by Scott Nicholls).

Profits for the meeting (which would probably draw a huge crowd) to be shared between the SRBF and GB Youth Speedway.

Both riding at PK's farewell at Wolverhampton. I am sure it was the same day as the original Peterborough meeting. Another date set aside would be good.

Edited by Coventry_Bee

Bottom line Sandhu is the one who had the stadium trashed!

That is NOT the issue here. It's political.

the sponsorship offer was withdrawn on Thursday due to lack of a guarantee that the team would return to Brandon. The company involved in the talks are Coventry based, and it's only viable to support financially a team within the city limits, and I'm talking of a yearly deal as main sponsors

believe me or don't, I only found out this information earlier

• Like 1

SCB, on 26 Feb 2017 - 9:07 PM, said:

That is NOT the issue here. It's political.

There is a statement written by Cllr Michael Stokes if anybody would like to read it . On the reactivated Bees Website .

Dont be so ridiculous, of course its the issue.

Fine, ignore what Dave Rowe has to say. You know better.

https://twitter.com/daverowe01/status/835835763363295234

There is a statement written by Cllr Michael Stokes if anybody would like to read it . On the reactivated Bees Website .

The one that says Mick Horton always wanted Stockcars, and as Stockcars = Avtar Sandhu.... It's not difficult to see who is to blame here but one or two are either too think to see it or just not opening their eyes.

Clue - It's Brandon Estates!

The same day Belle Vue was rescued, now that is a coincidence

NO. The day that the announcement was made was Friday, after the major sponsor of Coventry withdrew his sponsorship offer on Thursday.

The BV agreement was much earlier, but held over to last Thursday to iron out a couple of minor points apparently. That situation was reported on here the week beforehand.

Don't look for a conspiracy theory when it didn't happen. :nono:

• Like 1

Would be nice if we could ride in the Pairs on the 30th March too.

they would DEFINITELY win on that day

they would DEFINITELY win on that day

Opps! Edited!

Fine, ignore what Dave Rowe has to say. You know better.

https://twitter.com/daverowe01/status/835835763363295234

The one that says Mick Horton always wanted Stockcars, and as Stockcars = Avtar Sandhu.... It's not difficult to see who is to blame here but one or two are either too think to see it or just not opening their eyes.

Clue - It's Brandon Estates!

It's thick ;)

OR|

Brandon Estates + Sandhu = No more Brandon?

• Like 2

Nobody on here really knows the truth - will we ever? I am not condoning Sandhu but I still firmly believe that the snake in the grass is Horton. Let's face it, he has previous in these matters. I don't think he is being entirely truthful here.

Cllr Stokes statement tells us what we need to know. The one person who has been in these negotiations and is impartial yet you choose to dismiss it. Staggering.

• Like 5