British Speedway Forum

it was just an idea! Do it outside the carpark at the roadside! bypasses will get the message then! inside would be a bit pointless!

Why wait for a local photographer. do it when it suits the masses and if there is enough disruption and a big enough splash then it will get noticed regardless .

hope it all goes well for you guys. But don't let negativity hold you back or stop you. if there isn't a big turn out then it dims the importance.

Im not a coventry fan but id hate for it to be the end

There is no future in looking backwards.

Ok so history tells us that any permutation or all of Sandu, Horton, investin, Investin in Brandon, Brandon estates, and Uncle Tom Cobley are the Villains who caused the closure of Brandon stadium and the withdrawal of Coventry Bees from the 2017 season. There is no turning back, what has happened has happened and there is no worthwhile recourse to be had.

So now, the only thing to do is look forward, and plan for what is required i.e

• Buy Brandon and put it back into shape to stage speedway & Stox (maybe dogs) - No amount of protesting is going to bring Speedway back to Brandon under its current ownership so unless an investor can be found who wants to promote speedway there, this is likely to be dead in the water from the off. Stopping housing development in the short term will not bring back speedway - it will just leave a run down derelict site which eventually will be developed.
  • Develop a new site for speedway/stox?/dogs? A long journey ahead but maybe whilst the iron is hot there is a chance with the local authorities to get something moving quicker than the experience of Leicester - but a promoter will have to be found and so too the money for the stadium.
  • whatever the case maybe, all efforts should be centered on finding financial backing / backers to establish a future for Coventry speedway - the alternative is to just keep going around and around in circles looking for someone to blame...That ship has sailed, time to build a new one!
Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 2

We just need to find around 2,000 people who will put up £1,000 ( or other multiples of people and pounds ) I am willing to put up £1,000 providing it is returned if sufficient support to buy or part buy Brandon is not found. I am a fan of speedway and not a Bees supporter so there may be enough fans who will do the same? Can we get the Speedway Star to publicise such a scheme? I am willing to play an organisational part in this project but definitely cannot do that all myself. Anyone else feel the same?

• Like 3

We just need to find around 2,000 people who will put up £1,000 ( or other multiples of people and pounds ) I am willing to put up £1,000 providing it is returned if sufficient support to buy or part buy Brandon is not found. I am a fan of speedway and not a Bees supporter so there may be enough fans who will do the same? Can we get the Speedway Star to publicise such a scheme? I am willing to play an organisational part in this project but definitely cannot do that all myself. Anyone else feel the same?

I assume you are presuming the 2millon will pay for the acquisition of the stadium? if so to that you need to add at least another million for fees and making the stadium good to hold meetings.

To ensure you protect your investment should the funding not achieve its target there needs to be set up an escrow account which would only release the capital raised as and when the target is met and it is ok to hand over cash as and when required.

I take your post as a well meaning start - it will need a lot of coordinating to get it off the ground as well as ensuring the resource can be found to keep it going and steer the ship through muddy waters. Also you will need to ensure conflict with other interested parties is avoided or at least accommodated.

Hope your initiative gains traction.

Edited by 1 valve
  • Like 2

Home Latest News Fixtures/Statistics Club Admission Riders Corporate Fans History Gallery

UPDATE: MARCH 6

Monday March 06, 2017

CLUB owner Mick Horton says his efforts to bring the Coventry Bees back to the tapes will continue, despite the news of their withdrawal from the 2017 SGB Premiership.

He said: Our thoughts are with the fans, riders, officials and the wider speedway world, for whom this came as shattering blow. Much has been said about these events, but the decision is final and we must now all look forward, not back.

Finding a venue to race at remains the top priority, and Horton remains in discussions with Cllr Michael Stokes and others to this end.

In the meantime, a group of dedicated fans containing expertise in several different areas including media and marketing as well as the sport itself, will ensure that Coventry Speedway will not be forgotten during 2017.

They are working on various initiatives during the season to raise funds for the riders left out-of-pocket by the last-minute decision that the Bees will not compete in 2017, as well as longer-term objectives.

The Group will be launching a website with details of their events, and representatives will be making a short presentation at the NSSC on Thursday March 9.

Horton has made public his willingness to pass the mantle on to a new owner, and invites any potential purchaser to contact him to discuss this further by email at mick@coventrybees.co .

Bees update from the website...

Don't really have an interest in much Mick has to say after his treatment of his employees in all this. Ask a fair price and please just go.

CLUB owner Mick Horton says his efforts to bring the Coventry Bees back to the tapes will continue, despite the news of their withdrawal from the 2017 SGB Premiership.

He said: “Our thoughts are with the fans, riders, officials and the wider speedway world, for whom this came as shattering blow. Much has been said about these events, but the decision is final and we must now all look forward, not back.”

Finding a venue to race at remains the top priority, and Horton remains in discussions with Cllr Michael Stokes and others to this end.

In the meantime, a group of dedicated fans containing expertise in several different areas including media and marketing as well as the sport itself, will ensure that Coventry Speedway will not be forgotten during 2017.

They are working on various initiatives during the season to raise funds for the riders left out-of-pocket by the last-minute decision that the Bees will not compete in 2017, as well as longer-term objectives.

The Group will be launching a website with details of their events, and representatives will be making a short presentation at the NSSC on Thursday March 9.

Horton has made public his willingness to pass the mantle on to a new owner, and invites any potential purchaser to contact him to discuss this further by email at mick@coventrybees.co .

Email me at mick@coventrybees.co .

Surprised if that will deliver.

In reality what does he really have to sell?

• Like 1

Hi

Having had countless years of enjoyment at Brandon count me in, I would be interested in helping to purchase both the club and stadium site, to my mind if the Speedway Star is feeling benevolent it's support in gauging the speedway public's appetite for restoring this once great club would be really useful.

• Like 1

If I realiscally thought there was any hope I would contribute my £1000 to the fund. But before that you need some sort of explanation from the people who is it. Do they want to sell if not it's like p....g in the wind. After 69 years of oventry Speedway I think my interest is finished. Blame a lot of people during the last 6 months but I think my contribution to Speedway Star are going to be finalised. My Sky Sports I can dispose of should make me better off. We have been badly let down by people they know who they are. Think end of the road. Just to finish look up Micky Singh on the internet.Over 60 years a supporter of BrandonBees!!!!

Edited by abbo

Sad to hear about Coventry Speedway and send my condolences to everyone who kept the club going and the fans.

I am amazed Mick Horton spent over £200,000 to Avatar Sandhurst but nothing to show for it which is also saddening.

I have also noticed hardly no-one has mentioned the Coventry riders which is disappointing in my view.

These are the men who everyone pay to see and put the entertainment on show and now what do they do and where do they go?

Will they be able to get clubs especially the British riders?

Looking for positives it's small consolation that the fans have Leicester and Wolverhampton tracks in a reasonably close vicinity and the new rules have given most the riders at least something in the Premier League such as Garrity and Bates.

Like others I'd seriously consider buying shares in the stadium* if it was the route that has to be gone down. But I don't think the issue at the moment is finances.

*Not the speedway club!

The NSSC meeting on Thursday will clarify what the plan is hopefully.

• Like 1

The NSSC meeting on Thursday will clarify what the plan is hopefully.

Will the wonderful mr sandhu be coming to this meeting because he was the one who promised the bees fans he wouldn't let them down, time for him to meet the fans again.

Good luck and hope the bees return next year.

Will the wonderful mr sandhu be coming to this meeting because he was the one who promised the bees fans he wouldn't let them down, time for him to meet the fans again.

Good luck and hope the bees return next year.

Not a chance!

• Like 1